Koodo Community

Community

Cheaper plans

Userlevel 1
I was looking at different plans in different country why is Canada so expensive? Why are the big three so scared of having proper competition? They wouldn't have to be if they had cheaper plans and all of there subsidiary companys. So I think Koodo should lead the way with world wide competitive plans, just think if you had cheaper plans you would have more customers and make more money. Virgin has $35 unlimited texting and data with 300 day time min, and T mobile gives you 3 gigs of LTE data and then unlimited basic data for $60 a month with with unlimited talk and text. The list goes on, so why not us? Lets lead the way Koodo!

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Why is it expensive? To make more profit Why are the big 3 scared? They don't want to lose their huge profits If they had cheaper plans? Their profit shrinks and they don't want that. And Koodo is a subsidiary of Telus
Userlevel 1
Dennis wrote:

Why is it expensive? To make more profit Why are the big 3 scared? They don't want to lose t...

Thanks I had no idea.... Let us never hope or try for something better..
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dennis wrote:

Why is it expensive? To make more profit Why are the big 3 scared? They don't want to lose t...

It's up to us to refuse to pay for service we deem overpriced. Asking for lower prices while continuing to subscribe has had zero impact.
Userlevel 6
Dennis wrote:

This^^. It's absolutely the only logical and possible way to go about this. As long as we'll all be buyers, they'll be sellers. As simple as that. If demand for gold got a tenfold cut first thing tomorrow morning, what do you think would happen? Suddenly, gold would lose a LOT of its (albeit fake) value. Same for cellular services. We didn't need minutes anymore. What do we have now? Unlimited minutes! How convenient, isn't it? :oP
Userlevel 7
The crtc says it's cheaper! http://mobilesyrup.com/2014/07/14/canadian-mobile-customers-now-pay-less-for-more-and-more-for-less-wall-report/
Userlevel 7
The issue you're running into here is: other countries. You don't know what kind of network infrastructure they have (they might not even have 3G, let alone LTE), you don't know the frequencies they're using, you don't know how many towers they have or what their reception is like across the country. You also need to factor in population density, what kind of subsidies they have (if any), and so on.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Jonathan I wrote:

The issue you're running into here is: other countries. You don't know what kind of network infra...

I do, and the truth is far from what our carriers tell us to be. Source: actually using mobile networks in other countries.
Userlevel 7
Jonathan I wrote:

The issue you're running into here is: other countries. You don't know what kind of network infra...

Europe, sure. I'm talking about generally poorer countries/regions. I'm sure there's still a huge markup here but to be honest, it could be worse. Our services/networks are generally very very good aside from pricing. I think the 700mhz auction was unnecessary for a few years still though.
Userlevel 6
Jonathan I wrote:

Actually, the more I look at it, the more I believe the 700MHz auction wasn't so much about giving carriers options for the future as it was a way to pad the government's pockets in a timely manner.......
Userlevel 4
Jonathan I wrote:

Actually, Jonathan, I know all that. The Canadian market simply lacks competition. That is the problem. With strong competition, we could have better networks, more coverage and lower prices. Telus' Wireless EBITDA-margin is north ot 40%. That tells you a lot right there.
Userlevel 2
The issue on cost is simply a matter of supply and demand. I have recently moved to Canada from the UK where approximately 70 million people live in a country one fifth the size of Ontario alone - wheras Canada has 35 million people as it's population total.  Having also experienced the type of plan (tariff as they are called in the UK) available there, they do use all of the very fastest networks - because again of supply and demand making it cost effective i.e. there is no less a service level due to the cheaper prices.

However, all of that said... I just moved from Bell to Koodo and saved myself $40 a month, the features on my new Koodo plan vastly exceed what Bell offered and are at least equal if not better than some of the features offered in the UK  - and at $35 a month (the plan I joined) the price is very comparable and even beats some UK plans/tariffs.

Based on actual user experience I think Koodo has got it well and truly covered, but what I certainly don't get is Telus not offering these plans on their 'mother network' likewise with Rogers and Bell and Virgin and Fido - why own a subsidiary company and offer cheaper prices through it and then continue to bleed dry your loyal and existing customers of many years standing with expensive and 2 year 'no get out of jail' card plans???  Oh yeah, because CRTC says they can and while people remain loyal to their personal choice of the big three, they'll continue to offer those prices!

What is needed is market expansion for Koodo (and Virgin/Fido) although the mother ships have got that covered as well by only allocating a certain part of their spectrum to their own satellite companies. That said the mother ships are also part of a bigger problem than us end users see - in that they compete against each other for CRTC allocated radio spectrums - thus pushing the price upward rather than use their combined size to demand cheaper prices from CRTC/Industry Canada.

CRTC sits and points the finger at the big three for the higher plan prices yet they as the source supplier are equally part of the problem. Next year CRTC plans to release additional spectrums and wants to reserve them (it says) for the smaller companies but it is also looking for WIND, Mobilicty etc. to combine and merge so that they able to afford even the reserved spectrum price - end result... Canada has a big four rather than a big three.!  RANT Over...