Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Changing to an unlocked phone

I'm thinking of upgrading my phone to a Blackberry Torch 9810. I now have a Samsung Galaxy Ace 2X. The Torch is unlocked so if I took my SIM card from my current phone and put it in the Torch, can I use the torch with all the things I have on my Ace 2X? Like would I still be able to use the data I have on my current phone?

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Maybe, you'll need to change your plan to a BlackBerry Specific version. The reason for this is your torch uses the old BlackBerry services which require sim provisioning. So if your plan is one that is still offered then you can just change to the BlackBerry version and be fine. If it's no longer offered you'll need to choose from one of the current plans (BlackBerry version of course) Btw the BlackBerry Q5 (which doesn't require a special plan) is priced at 150$ new.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Chad Burr wrote:

Maybe, you'll need to change your plan to a BlackBerry Specific version. The reason for this is y...

Nice suggestion man, great minds think alike bro
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
No you'd have to pick a blackberry specific plan to have data on an old blackberry. I wouldn't call going from the ace 2x to the Torch an upgrade really at all. You should check out the Blackberry Q5 which is only $150 from Koodo right now or $0 on the small tab and with it you'd be able to keep your present data plan and it would work perfectly with the Q5 If your not looking at the blackberry for the keyboard and you font mind on screen keyboards than you could even check out the Moto G from Koodo which is the best phone for the money under $200, its only real limitation is that it only has 8gb of storage, if you need the storage than the Q5 might be better for you.
Userlevel 7
Paul "Kid Android" Deschamps wrote:

No you'd have to pick a blackberry specific plan to have data on an old blackberry. I wouldn't c...

Moto G is an excellent suggestion too and a great upgrade from the Ace IIx