Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Can I cancel my contract within the return policy if I don't return the phone?

I purchased a new phone a few days ago on tab large after being on a byod plan for a few months and I've broken the screen on my new device. Is it possible to cancel the contract I signed without returning the phone? I'm within the return policy usage limits but don't want to be charged anything other than the amount for the phone on my final bill and want the contract nullified.

19 replies

Userlevel 7
Sure, I'm assuming you're going to goto another carrier so you'll need to keep your service active to retain your number When your port out koodo will send you a bill for your first month plus the tab balance. You'll be required to pay that first month as well. If you're not.porting out, you'll have to call koodo to cancel, same first month thing applies, you'll have to pay it.
Userlevel 6
If you are going to need a phone it maybe better to fix the screen than to pay off your tab.
I ported out the number within 24 hours of the activation and why would I be billed for the first month if I didn't exceed the overages set out in the contract I signed? What I've essentially done is cancelled the contract within 24 hours but I'm simply keeping the device and paying the balance owed for it.
Userlevel 7
Haam Solo wrote:

I ported out the number within 24 hours of the activation and why would I be billed for the first...

Because you only have the 15 day buyers remorse if you return the device in like new condition. Since you've damaged the device, you're not eligible to return it as part of the buyers remorse. So you'll need to pay the first months service.
Userlevel 7
Haam Solo wrote:

I ported out the number within 24 hours of the activation and why would I be billed for the first...

Let's be honest, the device isn't damaged, koodo had a better price so you took advantage of that. But koodo doesn't sell devices without some sort of activation so this way if someone does what you do, they at least recoup some profit on the discounted phone. It's the same reason prepaid device prices are slightly higher than postpaid. Because people would buy at the lower price and then flake off, taking the device to another provider.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Haam Solo wrote:

I can't answer definitely, but here is my guess. Too many people were buying phones on a postpaid plan to get Koodo's cheaper phone price, then nullified the plan and still keep the phone. I can't say I blame Koodo for demanding the first month to be paid in full. That said I'm truly sorry you broke your phone so soon after buying it 😞
Userlevel 5
One other thing to keep in mind is if you got a.gift card on the new phone when you got it. If you did, and you cancel within the first 30 days, you will have to pay for the.gift card you received as well.
"Customers may cancel their contract at any time by notifying their service provider. Cancellation takes effect on the day that the service provider receives notice of the cancellation."
Userlevel 6
Haam Solo wrote:

"Customers may cancel their contract at any time by notifying their service provider. Cancellati...

What you're quoting is from the service terms. You can cancel at any time and Chad's right, you have 15 days buyers remorse.
Haam Solo wrote:

"Customers may cancel their contract at any time by notifying their service provider. Cancellati...

No, I'm quoting the crtc on contract cancellation policy.
Userlevel 7
Haam Solo wrote:

You can cancel anytime, but you can't selectively decide what parts of buyers remorse clause you want to use. Buyers remorse is: I buy a phone and plan and decide a few days (up to 15) that I don't want this. I bring the phone back to the kiosk or call koodo and they cancel the service and I return everything in resealable condition. That's buyers remorse
Userlevel 7
Haam Solo wrote:

Where does it say on that policy that you can keep the device and not have additional fees?
Userlevel 7
Haam Solo wrote:

When you ported out you canceled your contract. So that part koodo did already, they canceled upon notification that you wanted to cancel.
Userlevel 6
Haam Solo wrote:

Chad, you are indeed a MASTER! I humbly bow before you-:)
Haam Solo wrote:

Where does it say that I WILL have additional fees if I cancel? (other than my tab balance) I don't recall reading anything that would give the impression that I require certain notice for cancellation or that additional charges apply if a device has been purchased? I don't mind paying my device balance off but I think it's a little ridiculous to charge me for a month of service after less than 24 hours of usage. Especially if it isn't specified anywhere on the service agreement.
Haam Solo wrote:

It doesn't have to be categorized as buyers remorse, I don't think anyone should be charged for a month of usage after using it for only a day.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Haam Solo wrote:

We're just customers like yourself, Haam. I suggest you contact Koodo directly and fight it out with them 🙂 We can only offer suggestions and opinions, but none of us have the ability to change your bill for you! We can all argue (or discuss, depending on your point of view, lol) till the cows come home but in the end it's Koodo who will send you your final invoice 🙂
Userlevel 6
Haam Solo wrote:

Here's my 2 cents worth of explanation to the lottery pool - you're on a postpaid service, and like all other wireless services you're billed one month in advance for your rate plan. I repeat, you, me and everyone else in Canada is billed one month in advance for your services. That's what you literally signed up for, and by signing up for it you agreed to it. I'm not crazy about the interest rate on my line of credit, but I literally signed up for it. Additional charges are any usage you incur over your plans minutes etc.
Userlevel 6
If you're interested in some light reading, you can read the service terms, go to privacy/legal in the footer of this page, it's all there. Service Terms By activating your Koodo phone, you agreed to Koodo Mobile’s Service Terms. If you activated your phone online, you would have seen the service terms. But if you want another look, here they are.