Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Buying Without a Tab, is the Phone Unlocked?

When a customer buys a smartphone, specifically the Blackberry Q5, without a tab (pays full price), is the phone unlocked? Or is it locked to Koodo?

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
It will still be locked to Koodo, Lacey, but you will be able to unlock it through Koodo right away. Cost is $50 so depending on the phone, you might be cheaper off to go through a 3rd party 🙂
Userlevel 7
freemyblackberry.com - free code within 24 hours, $3 (USD) for an instant one. I don't know how usable this method is for BB 10 devices but it's worth a shot. Or, try cellunlocker.net - my most used, reliable site. They're fast and have never given me issues.
Userlevel 4
Jonathan I wrote:

freemyblackberry.com - free code within 24 hours, $3 (USD) for an instant one. I don't know how u...

For Bb10, it's much more than 3 usd. that said, I do recommend those guys as well, they are great
Ahh okay. Someone told me that if a phone company sells you a phone outright, it's has to be unlocked by law. I had a feeling he was bullshitting. I've been looking into freemyblackberry. And thanks for the second suggestion! Many thanks for the help!
Userlevel 5
Lacey Williams wrote:

Ahh okay. Someone told me that if a phone company sells you a phone outright, it's has to be unlo...

All that the law stats is they have to have the option for you to unlock it, other than that it doesn't state that they can't charge you or anything like that.
Userlevel 7
Lacey Williams wrote:

Ahh okay. Someone told me that if a phone company sells you a phone outright, it's has to be unlo...

Yeah the law says they have to provide an instant means to unlock but it doesn't say it's free. That really wouldn't be good business for them because the companies don't make a ton of money on the device, they make money bu subsidizing it and getting revenue from monthly plans.
Lacey Williams wrote:

I see, thanks for clearing that up!
Userlevel 7
grand wrote:

It might be locked. if you wanna unlock your mobile follow the instructions here http://www.mobil...

Thanks for the spam