Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Blackberry Classic Please!!

I am hoping that Koodo with come out with the Blackberry Classic! Anyone else looking for this as well? I am considering changing providers if I can't access it through Koodo 😞

18 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
You can always purchase it straight from BlackBerry which has the advantage of it being unlocked already so you can use it on any carrier that supports it, so if a better plan comes along elsewhere from another carrier you can simply grab that plan and move along with no hassle.
Userlevel 4
Just picked up a classic today for testing and typing this reply on it. There is always the option to purchase on shopblackberry.com and save 10 on your bill with byod
So if I have an unlocked blackberry classic I can just stick in a Koodoo sim card and it will work?
Userlevel 4
Cory Schneider wrote:

So if I have an unlocked blackberry classic I can just stick in a Koodoo sim card and it will work?

Yes
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Cory Schneider wrote:

Given the [(not-entirely-sure-but-we-are-rooting-for-them) state of the BB connection], best to buy it from RIM and keep ultimately mobile regardless of the provider.
Userlevel 5
If bought directly from RIM, it will work
In my case, it will be an unlocked phone from Rogers. Is there any reason that would work differently than one purchased directly from Blackberry? Follow up question: Since the classic isn't officially supported by Koodo, will I still be able to receive OTA OS updates?
Userlevel 4
Cory Schneider wrote:

In my case, it will be an unlocked phone from Rogers. Is there any reason that would work differ...

The Rogers version is compatible. You do bring up a good point about updates. You will need to keep a Bell/Telus/Rogers sim around to get the updates. Or use Sachesi
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Cory Schneider wrote:

In my case, it will be an unlocked phone from Rogers. Is there any reason that would work differ...

I was slapped in the face roughly a few times by the Master crowd for suggesting that Koodo rather than the phone itself was my gatekeeper for updates, never mind the SIM I had in at the time. If all the Koodo experts, who outvoted me many times over to 1, claim that any updates will flow from the mfgr. are correct as long as Koodo had passed on them, buy from the mfgr. direct. You are then first in line. Ry...Subscribing to another service just to have a 1-3 SIMs for updates...? How do you think a noobie is going to read sense into this?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Cory Schneider wrote:

This is different Bob as its a different OS being talked about here, it's Blackberry OS not Android OS. Just as windows update processes differ and so do Apples IOS updates they're all different in many ways and one needs to take the time to research each and every one if your going to try to pass knowledge on or commenting is basically useless.
Userlevel 4
Cory Schneider wrote:

Bob, Blackberry 10 is not like Apple nor the Nexus series. The updates are controlled by the carrier, and needs to be approved before being released. Since Koodo is not currently carrying the Classic, they will not be pushing an update for it. I have this same issue with my Z30, which I bought from BB direct. To get updates, I need to put in an inactive sim from either Rogers/Bell/Telus or use Sachesi to do the update. That said, you are correct that I didn't explain that well. No need to be subscribing to another carrier, just find an unactivated or inactive (used) sim.
Badge +4
Cory Schneider wrote:

+1, well put.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Cory Schneider wrote:

So we all agree that if you want a BB classic that will not turn into a brick, staying away from Koodo is one of your better options? My point precisely. No point in whining that the "Ford dealer won't sell you a Chev" or give you a free update. They seem pretty steadfast that they're not interesting in carrying it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Cory Schneider wrote:

? SMH?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Cory Schneider wrote:

I'm now confused about something. I know that BlackBerry devices locked to Telus work on Koodo without being unlocked because of the same network code, which would lead me to believe that the phone simply can't distinguish between a Koodo and a Telus SIM. If that's the case, wouldn't his Koodo SIM cause his phone to pull a Telus OTA update when available? To clarify, I'm asking and not stating a fact.
Userlevel 4
Cory Schneider wrote:

Unfortunately not. I was hoping that was the case. Even I sometimes see Telus instead of Koodo. However, no updates were ever pushed to my z30.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Cory Schneider wrote:

Thanks for answering 🙂
Userlevel 4
Cory Schneider wrote:

So, I was surprised to see that I was able to get the 10.3.1.2072 update from Koodo on the Classic. This is the first time this has happened, as I never got the updates on my Z30. Hopefully this remains the case going forward