Koodo Community

Community

better coverage in general

Quite good coverage but not as good as Telus in remote areas such as bc mountains

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hi Kathy, Telus and Koodo share exactly the same towers... could it be that on Telus you had the older phone without a SIM card (CMDA) and now on Koodo a newer model? (HSPA)?
I thought they did too... but wonder now . I do have a newer phone but the old one.. blackberry... also had a sim card. Maybe it is the phones internal antenna then. I have a Samsung now. There should be a website on how to get the best coverage...incl. company. .type of network. .and phone models! It is a fine science it seems! 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Kathy Richards wrote:

I thought they did too... but wonder now . I do have a newer phone but the old one.. blackberry.....

It is the phone itself and not the network. Samsung has never been a leader in signal strength.
Kathy Richards wrote:

I thought they did too... but wonder now . I do have a newer phone but the old one.. blackberry.....

Ok thx Ivan. Can u recommend a brand? I travel all the time on business and need a good signal. Thx!
Badge +4
Cell phones/smartphones themselves, have limited transmit and receive capability, particularly if they're not within line of sight of a cell tower. So it's difficult to recommend any device because power output and antenna design really don't vary that much between cell phones/smartphones. I would recommend a signal booster. I live in Ontario and travel through the B.C. mountains regularly in a tractor trailer and our company uses Wilson brand signal boosters in all of our trucks. They're not perfect, but at least when I start to see city lights on the horizon, the phone starts picking up a signal, in most cases, anywhere from 2 to 3 bars, which is perfect for making calls. Without the booster, I'd have to wait until I'm right on the fringes or actually be in the city to pick up a signal. The link to the model below, is similar to what we use. The only difference is that we use a truck specific antenna. The kit comes with a magnet mount antenna that should work quite well and should be mounted on the highest point on your vehicle for best results. If you find that you're still not getting the reception you want, you can always upgrade to a higher db gain antenna. The booster kit is a little pricey, but well worth the investment if you can't afford to miss those important business calls. Cell Phone Signal Booster Kit for Vehicle http://www.amazon.com/Wilson-Electronics-801213-Booster-Vehicle/dp/B0011GI950 Wilson Electronics USA http://www.wilsonelectronics.com/store/index/category/37/mobile-solutions
Ohh... thank you soo much for the information! I used to drive truck as well, longhaul .. but I had an LG brand cellphone at the time which had great reception! (It was great in northern Ontario as well as the BC mountains) so I never gave signal boosters much thought when I seen them at truck stops and therefore I completely forgot they existed! Thanks! They will definitely be worth it! & thanks for the link!! 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
For now with you Samsung try searching for towers manually whenever you have no or low service. This doesn't work in coverage areas that don't exist but has given me a stronger signal in low reception areas. GO to your phones settings - more settings (under wireless & networks) - Mobile Networks - Network Operators & it will do a manual search for towers in the area, just let it search & then after 30 seconds or so it will give a list of towers Click on koodo & your reception will usually increase, sometimes drastically. Let me know if this helps & remember to star any answer that helps with your issue so others will be blessed to find the solution to the same issue. Thanks.
Hmm... I will definitely give that a try as well! Thank you!! 🙂