Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Battery replacement for BB Q5

Bought a BB Q% from Koodo a few years ago. The battery has started to discharge within a 6 or 6 hours. Any service for this phone??
Paul

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi Paul,

I would contact BlackBerry support first and see if they can assist you as you are definitely out of your Koodo warranty.
Userlevel 7
Mathieu wrote:

Hi Paul,

I would contact BlackBerry support first and see if they can assist you as you are defi...

It he Q5 battery was built in.

If you're out of warranty (you are). It may be relatively inexprlensive to just buy a new Q5 or heck a Q10 for cheap.

Check Kijiji or eBay For example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/162216423428
Mathieu wrote:

Hi Paul,

I would contact BlackBerry support first and see if they can assist you as you are defi...

I contacted BB they claim Koodo does the service. The battery is built in, so far I have not found a source for a replacement battery

Userlevel 7
Mathieu wrote:

Hi Paul,

They are wrong, koodo only acts as a middle man between he company that provides warranty services. You're out of warranty so you're kinda on your own.
Mathieu wrote:

Hi Paul,

You can replace the battery, but you are on your own. Involves prying apart case, then separating battery from board (it's glued on). You can buy batteries on ebay and you see demos of the replacement procedure on YouTube. 

Maybe time for an upgrade. But, I know how you feel. I am still using my Q5
Mathieu wrote:

Hi Paul,

Know any where that batteries are available for the Q5?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Mathieu wrote:

Hi Paul,

There appears to be a small number of shops on eBay that sell it. You would have to replace it yourself or pay a shop to do it. However I personally think it worth it, if you must have bb10 and a physical key board or a usable physical keyboard to grab a passport. Even a q10 can be found for well under 100 on Kijiji.
Mathieu wrote:

Hi Paul,

I ordered a Q10 from ebay.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Mathieu wrote:

Hi Paul,

It also has a swappable battery so should it crap out you should have a much easier time with it. Not to mention a spare battery is an option. Plus the keyboard is a larger version of the 9900's ,which is much better I think than the curve like q5.
Mathieu wrote:

Hi Paul,

I read the fine print this time. 🙂 Scratched off my list all non replaceable battery ones.  Ended up with a very short list BB or otherwise. Maybe I should buy 3 or 4 or more to have enough to last the rest of my life. 🙂

Maybe time for an upgrade. But, I know how you feel. I am still using my Q5

I like the physical keyboard and the intelligent speling correction. TheHTC  android I had before sucked.