Koodo Community
Question

App blocked by contract???

Hello, since I have my BB, I cannot use app like Twitter because I don't have the 3g internet in my contract. How can I de-block them to use them with WIFI? Thanks! 🙂

This topic has been closed for comments

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Wi-Fi is separate from your data connection... as far as I know, you should still be able to use Twitter on Wi-Fi for your BB. I know that emails, however, require data on legacy Blackberries. You could look into the Blackberry Social package. It's a $10 data add-on for Curve and Bold users that enables unlimited BBM and social networking (Facebook, Twitter, etc).
Thanks but I don't need the social package! I still don't understand why it's blocked with Wi-Fi... I just want the Twitter app 😞
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
All data on bb must run through rim servers. No data feature means no connection to those servers, which is why it isn't working on wifi. I have read that turning off your mobile network will allow you to use data just through wifi, but this shuts off calling and texting services while it's off. It's a stupid bb feature that they finally got rid of with bb10. If you have one of the talk and text plans, you can add the free feature 'bb data saver access' and simply turn off mobile data on the phone. This will setup a link to the rim servers, and as long as you only use wifi there will be no charge.
Userlevel 4
Blackberries can be tricky in the sense of data use. There are times where wifi can be used even when no data plan is on the account then there the other side of the coin where a data plan is required for even wifi. It doesn't make any sort of sense to me....but given the amount of calls I took regarding this exact issue, I still can't figure it out. It doesn't seem to be an issue specific to certain types of blackberries, it's a hit or miss situation that happens randomly...
Userlevel 1
BlackBerry (with the exception of the new Z10) does that a lot (doesn't like to work well with Wifi even if it is an app that really can when you don't have data). Unfortunately the "fix" seems to be app specific, for instance with the web browser open you can get into the settings to change it to use Wifi instead of data, so if the twitter app doesn't have a similar setting you may be out of luck. Unlike other platforms, I haven't found any way to set this globally on a Blackberry.
BlackBerry (with the exception of the new Z10) does that a lot (doesn't like to work well with Wi...I cannot open the Twitter app (so I can't go into the settings), it says that i'm not allowed because it's not part of my contract...!
I was using a 9790 unlocked and had no data plan on it and the wifi allowed me to access the blackberry world and use it flawlessly. Only thing I couldn't do was receive e-mail and bb messenger. Do you have a bb account set up so your able to Log into bb world? Maybe I have no issue over wifi because I once did have an active data account with bb but that was year ago I just happened to remember my login and password.
Userlevel 4
You are missing the required service books. Only workarounds are to borrow a Friends sim that have any sort of Koodo Blackberry data plan. Let it download all the service books, then put yours back in and continue on wifi. Alternatively, sign up for social plan for a month then cancel. There is no contracts with Koodo, just the tab, and changing add ons will not affect that
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
From your computer download and install opera mini to your bb using the bb desktop software. Then you can use opera mini to access any website over wifi.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
From your computer download and install opera mini to your bb using the bb desktop software. The...Including twitter, Facebook, etc
Thank you all for your answers!