Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Any Z10 owners experiencing horrible battery life on OS 10.2.1?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I must say that I'm really disappointed with my Z10's performance on 10.2.1. Some owners are saying that it got better for them after 4-5 days, but I'm not really seeing any improvement. Here's my typical day. Phone gets taken off the charger at 7 am. From that time until 5, it'll get used for ~30 min. of playing games, ~ 45 min. of talking, and ~1 hr. of e-mail/messaging/facebook. The battery shouldn't be dropping even to 50%, but mine's at ~33%. I honestly don't remember the last time I've had such a crappy performance from a phone's battery. And it's not like I don't know how to manage my devices. There are almost no Active Frames open. LTE is disabled. NFC is disabled. I'm connected to WiFi more often than not. The only thing I have on constantly is Bluetooth (as I do on all of my other phones). I tried using my Pebble with the Z10 but abandoned that, as that seems to demolish my battery even faster. So, I thought I'd see how other Z10 owners are faring. But, if any Q5/10 or Z30 owners would like to chime in, I'd love to hear it.

49 replies

Userlevel 4
It was hyped that battery life would be far better in 10.2.1, but for me, I find it about the same on my Z10. Mine comes off the charger around 6:30am, then by about 5pm, I was easily under 20 percent. I did have extreme problem before (OS 10.1 and 10.2), with the device pulling 2.5watts and completely draining in 4 hours. After swapping out the SD card, that fixed that problem. I like how the Battery Usage is now built in, but I find the prediction is not very accurate. Right now, it says I have 20 hours left for this day. That isn't going to happen 🙂
Userlevel 4
Ry wrote:

It was hyped that battery life would be far better in 10.2.1, but for me, I find it about the sam...

It's about 5pm, and I'm at 20 percent. Very light day for me. No phone calls, no music. Some sms/bbm and light browsing. On wifi most of the day (which is also not the case). Not great at all.
Badge +4
I'm conducting a similar experiment. Left the the device running on Wi-Fi only, BBM running in background. 3.25 days later and I'm at 15% at time of print. Nothing else running so this isn't a good example of moderate everyday usage, but wanted to get a rough idea of standby time and battery longevity. Recharging now, I'll try running with Bluetooth, do a little gaming, make some calls and use the map app throughout the day and compare numbers. I'll post the results in the next day or so.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
rikkster wrote:

I'm conducting a similar experiment. Left the the device running on Wi-Fi only, BBM running in ba...

I'm very interested in your results.
Badge +4
rikkster wrote:

I'm conducting a similar experiment. Left the the device running on Wi-Fi only, BBM running in ba...

At 3:30 pm yesterday, the Z10 was at 100%. I wanted to replicate the problem as accurately as possible using the criteria provided by Ivan. I fared slightly better timewise, but not by much. After only two and three quarter hours of what was considered moderate usage, my battery was showing a charge of 27% remaining. Wi-Fi was updating apps in the background, I was listening to music through my stereo Bluetooth headset. I used BBM, retrieved email and sent a few texts. LTE and NFC were disabled and brightness set to 40%. I made several short two to three minute calls, but noticed that one call in particular lasting about a half an hour, took 11% of the battery. My iPhone 4s runs circles around the Z10 in terms of battery life. I'm hoping it's just a software glitch and someone will come up with either a patch or an update.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
rikkster wrote:

I'm hoping that BlackBerry will take notice of this. The Z10 was never a stellar performer in the battery department, but it could get me through the work day without worrying if it'll die. Figures, I finally love this phone and the battery makes it near useless.
rikkster wrote:

I get it.....battery problem solved....only way is to download new software by attaching bb with bb link software ....;-)
Userlevel 3
LTE disabled?Brightness turned down?Also should download a data compressor that also saves power.
Userlevel 4
Rocky Balboa wrote:

LTE disabled?Brightness turned down?Also should download a data compressor that also saves power.

Data Compressor? what?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Rocky Balboa wrote:

I've mentioned that LTE is disabled. Brightness is at 50%. I don't want to use a data compressor. I know that I can squeeze 10% more (at absolute best, but probably only ~5%)out of my battery but that would not meet my most basic expectations in terms of screen legibility and convenience. Both my Nexus 5 and iPhone 5S mop the floor with this phone, and I end up actually using them a lot more and still they outlast this by a wide margin (and I don't even disable NFC on the N5 and I run both of them with my Pebble with hardly a ding in the battery life). Nether of these phones has a stellar battery life, so it's really saying something about the Z10 (but I didn't have these issues prior to 10.2.1). It was still inferior even then, but tolerable. It's now 2 PM and the battery has dropped to 30%. I barely touched the phone except for a 2 hr call. That call dropped it from 75% to 30%. At worst (and I really mean worst case scenario), it would be a 10% drop on any other phone. I'm loving this as my primary device, especially for productivity purposes, but this battery drain may force a very early retirement.
Userlevel 4
Rocky Balboa wrote:

i wonder if this is a side effect of the radio issues people are reporting. a 45 percent drop for a 2 hour call is insane
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Rocky Balboa wrote:

I was thinking the same thing.
You need to probably security wipe and RAM dump the phone. Call Koodo and have them put you through to BB with their carrier code so you don't have to pay the hourly service fee.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
womanticore wrote:

You need to probably security wipe and RAM dump the phone. Call Koodo and have them put you throu...

My Z10 wasn't purchased through Koodo, but from BB directly (friend of a friend is an employee). Does this still apply?
womanticore wrote:

You need to probably security wipe and RAM dump the phone. Call Koodo and have them put you throu...

It should. I've never run into any problems doing this for customers for the carrier I work for, grey market device or no.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
womanticore wrote:

Cool, thanks for the info.
Userlevel 2
I'm on 10.2.1.1925 (w/ .1899 radio) and I'm finding it pretty decent. My phone comes off the charger at 7am everyday and goes back on around 10pm. I use LTE exclusively and would consider myself a fairly heavy user (100+emails per day, 3-4 hours on-call time, BBM, SMS, the occasional video call). I should point out though that I don't play games or use bluetooth at all though. When it goes back on the charged, it's typically got 35%-55% battery left. Might be a good idea to play around with the radio file. 1899 is pretty decent, you can also try 1926, 1260, or 1286. You should notice one (or two) are better then the others. If all else fails, security wipe and reload the firmware/radio with an autoloader.
Badge +4
mattjs wrote:

I'm on 10.2.1.1925 (w/ .1899 radio) and I'm finding it pretty decent. My phone comes off the...

I'd like to say I'll go ahead and try that, but I cant. The Z10 is a tester from Koodo and they're pretty strict on keeping phones 'stock'. I'm envious of those that can experiment with leaks from CB. I really like the Z10 and I'll be looking into getting the Z10 or possibly the Z30 in the coming months. I appreciate the tip though, thank you mattjs.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
mattjs wrote:

I'm on 10.2.1.1925 (w/ .1899 radio) and I'm finding it pretty decent. My phone comes off the...

I'd like to experiment with different radio software and leaks but have absolutely no time for it at the moment. It's much simpler for me to grab my Lumia 1020, iPhone 5S, or Nexus 5 because all of them will last long enough with my use.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I've gone back to a Lumia 1020 as my primary device for the time being, so my Z10 isn't connected to a cellular network at the moment. It has been plugged in for hours to a USB 3.0 port on my laptop that is always powered and the laptop isn't running on battery. The phone is connected to my WiFi and BT is on but has not been in use other than automatically pushing information and it will not charge past 92% at the moment.
Badge +4
Ivan wrote:

I've gone back to a Lumia 1020 as my primary device for the time being, so my Z10 isn't connected...

I experienced a similar problem when I first installed 10.2.1 (OTA) where the battery would only charge to 90%. For some reason though, when I went back into BB Link to backup the Z10, the upgrade was offered again. I'd gotten sidetracked playing around with the Moto G, that I completely forgot to write about this problem. What was most puzzling was that the upgrade offered and the software on the device were identical and BB Link allowed me to perform the upgrade. The upgrade was identical in size, yet the installation via BB Link seemed to go a lot quicker, compared to the OTA installation. I have no idea how to replicate that situation. I went ahead with the upgrade a second time and now the battery charges to 100% on usb 3.0, (SuperSpeed hub, always powered) or via wall charger.
Userlevel 7
My friend with a Z10 told me she's been experiencing the same thing since 10.2.1. So glad I'm using a Q10. The battery life you described sounds almost as bad as the iPhone. I didn't use my Q10 much before the update so I can't tell if it's worse or better on my Q10.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ahmad wrote:

My friend with a Z10 told me she's been experiencing the same thing since 10.2.1. So glad I'm usi...

The iPhone 5S lasts me at least 4x longer on a single charge currently, and it's not like the 5S's battery life is anything to brag about.
Userlevel 7
Ahmad wrote:

My friend with a Z10 told me she's been experiencing the same thing since 10.2.1. So glad I'm usi...

O.o seriously?! I'm actually shocked!!!! If that's true, holy crap that Z10 battery life is absolutely garbage! Also, in your opinion, do you think there is a noticeable difference between iPhone 5 and 5S battery life?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ahmad wrote:

I haven't noticed any difference in average battery life between the 5 and the 5S, Sorry for the late reply Ahmad, I didn't see your question until now.