Koodo Community

Community

A guide to bringing your own phone to Koodo

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
First, I'd like to thank Koodo for the tool provided to inform potential customers whether their unlocked phone is compatible with Koodo's network: http://koodomobile.com/en/on/switch2koodo-step-1-a.shtml That being said, this does have some drawbacks. You need to know the Canadian carrier carrier the phone was originally locked to. If the phone was factory unlocked, or if it came from outside Canada then you'll need the IMEI #. If you've already got the phone, then it's easy to look this up. If you're considering buying a phone and don't have all of the information, then you're out of luck. So, I'd like to provide people with a short guide to bringing unlocked phones to Koodo. If you're purchasing a phone elsewhere: 1. Make sure that the phone is compatible. Koodo's 3G network requires phones with UMTS-CLR (850 MHz) and UMTS-PCS (1900 MHz) operating bands. These bands will be listed under 3G, UMTS, HSPA, or WCDMA bands/frequencies. A phone having only one of these bands can work, but at greatly reduced coverage so I would only recommend buying a phone with both bands. 2. Make sure that the phone is either unlocked or that it can be unlocked. While most phones can be unlocked, this is not always the case. Specific carriers (Virgin UK, for example) don't provide this information. Even if the phone you're buying can be unlocked on one network, you may be out of luck on another. 3. If you're buying the unlocked phone in person (let's say through Kijiji, for example), pop in your Koodo SIM card to make sure the phone is unlocked. Check the phone's operating frequencies. Like i said in #1, only one of the two frequencies is needed to register on the network, but both are needed for optimal performance.

20 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
When a third party unlocking service unlocks your phone by giving you a code are you saying that they get that code from the provider the phone was originally locked to?
Userlevel 7
Paul "Kid Android" Deschamps wrote:

When a third party unlocking service unlocks your phone by giving you a code are you saying that ...

Don't quote me on this but I beleive each carrier has a carrier code and that along wih your IMEI is used in some equation to calculate your unlock code. Eveytime i have unlocked a phone I've been asked to provide the name of the ori-inal carrier.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Paul "Kid Android" Deschamps wrote:

When a third party unlocking service unlocks your phone by giving you a code are you saying that ...

Each carrier has their own algorithm used to generate device specific unlock codes. Not everyone is forthcoming about these which is why you can't always find an unlock code (it took ATT almost a year to allow Nokia Lumia 900 unlocking IIRC). Apple maintains a "white list" of IMEIs on their servers. Only phones on this list remain unlocked forever. Your operator submits your IMEI to Apple and you unlock your phone via iTunes.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I must also add that some carriers have recently started to block end-users from modifying or adding APNs. This means that even if you unlock their phone, you will not be able to get mobile data to work. I've been burned when I bought a T-Mobile US Nokia Lumia 810 to use with Wind Mobile here. Phone worked and I was able to make calls and send SMS but could not get mobile data running. Fortunately I was able to return the phone. Unfortunately we now have one more dirty practice to deal with.
Userlevel 1
Ivan wrote:

I must also add that some carriers have recently started to block end-users from modifying or add...

Thank God for rooting and jailbreaking.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ivan wrote:

I must also add that some carriers have recently started to block end-users from modifying or add...

I think that's the OS not the carrier making APN unchangeable.
Userlevel 7
Ivan wrote:

I'm unsure myself but I believe KID is right
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ivan wrote:

No. It was the carrier (T-Mobile US). Nokia confirmed this. All other Windows Phone 8 devices have the ability to add APNs.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ivan wrote:

Not the carrier & not the OS it was Nokia then because I've seen many ppl even on here have the same issue with changing APN that bought their Nokia in Canada. Me & Chad tried to help somebody with the issue a month or so ago.
Userlevel 7
Ivan wrote:

I believe nokia had to release a software tool to allow uSers apn access
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ivan wrote:

You are correct sir 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ivan wrote:

Again, incorrect. WP8 supports APN addition: http://www.windowsphone.com/en-ca/how-to/wp8/start/cellular-settings And here it is on a Lumia 920: http://telecom.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/30919/~/set-up-mms-apn-manually---nokia-lumia-920 And on the Lumia 820: http://straighttalkwindows.com/nokia-lumia-820-windows-8-straight-talk-mms-setup And this is what I'm talking about: http://discussions.nokia.com/t5/Nokia-Lumia/Can-t-fully-use-Lumia-810-Unlocked-with-another-carrier-Need-to/td-p/1639988 Are you saying that Nokia randomly chose to disable this on a phone that's a T-Mo US exclusive? Come on now.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ivan wrote:

And what Chad's referring to is the old Network Setup app for WP7.5 devices which supposedly made it easier to add APNs (this didn't work half of the time, so I ended up doing manual setup in Europe on my unlocked Lumia 710 at the time).
Userlevel 1
The Sonim's Bolt said in its instruction manual that the internet would only work on the bell network, but by configuring the APN, I was able to make it work on Koodo, Telcel (Mexico) and AT&T. I used the infos Koodo and these other companies gave under the configuring "android phone".
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Don wrote:

The Sonim's Bolt said in its instruction manual that the internet would only work on the bell net...

What I'm talking about is making sure that the phone has the ability to alter APNs. The Bolt does (despite what the carrier said), but the Lumia 810 doesn't.
Guys, a great place to get unlocking done for cheap is www.cellunlocker.net, they keep prices low and send you the code in a couple hours. I used them and am using my Dell Streak 5 on my koodo plan. Cheers!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Maharus wrote:

Guys, a great place to get unlocking done for cheap is www.cellunlocker.net, they keep prices low...

I'd rather pay an extra $5-$10 & go with GSM Liberty & get my code withing 15 minutes or so. I've used them twice & had my code within 15 minutes & with a brand new phone I want to he up as fast as possible.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Maharus wrote:

Guys, a great place to get unlocking done for cheap is www.cellunlocker.net, they keep prices low...

I've used cellunlocker.net and they've always had a fast turnaround time.
Maharus wrote:

Thanks ile2010!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Maharus wrote:

You're welcome.