Koodo Community

Terrible customer service

• 21 November 2021
  • 12 replies

And yet another unhappy customer… I’ve registered a complaint with the BBB and CCTS.  Koodo provides no customer service, hides fees and extorts payment under the threat of ruining one’s credit.  Very short sighted.  They’ve lost my business, and soon also my family’s.   

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Care to elaborate or is this the extend of your vent?

ported my phone and suddenly a balloon payment that was never discussed or shown on a bill was charged.  Basically designed as a hidden fee so you think you’re getting a deal on a phone.   Customer service was entirely unhelpful, and lied about a manager calling me back.   

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

ported my phone and suddenly a balloon payment that was never discussed or shown on a bill was charged.  Basically designed as a hidden fee so you think you’re getting a deal on a phone.   Customer service was entirely unhelpful, and lied about a manager calling me back.   

What was the "hidden fee" that you're seeing?

We can either help explain the charges or if it's indeed wrong can flag a rep to take care of it for you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

What was the hidden fee? Was it tab bonus? Was it mentioned any where when you signed up or purchased something from Koodo?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Can you provide us with a screenshot of your bill to better assist you? Make sure to remove any personal details, as this is a public forum.

Assuming this is a first bill, it does include pro-rated charges from your activation date to your billing date, plus the next full month in advance. If you activated in store, there will be a $50 connection fee added to your bill. https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/charges-explained

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Sounds like the tab bonus. 

The fee is listed on the Koodo page

https://www.koodomobile.com/help/Tab-bonus

Sounds like the tab bonus. 

The fee is listed on the Koodo page

https://www.koodomobile.com/help/Tab-bonus

Yes it’s the “tab bonus”

This issue being, this isn’t mentioned at the time of purchase, and is the very last thing at the bottom of the contract.  It was described at the time as a discount on the phone.  It also wasn’t mentioned when I called to port my phone.  Just suddenly another $500 on my bill.   This is the definition of a “hidden fee”  

So in the end, I’m extorted to pay something that was never discussed or disclosed.  I’m sure it happens all the time, but funnily enough, the transparency of the “Tab” was what brought me to Koodo in the first place over 10 years ago.  They’ve since changed their business practices I assume? 

When I wanted to buy a new phone before, I had only to pay off my Tab.   I actually tried the same thing this time, only they said I didn’t qualify for a phone upgrade.  I had no idea why, and again, the “tab bonus” wasn’t brought up.   That’s why I switched providers, with my previous phone having been lost. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

So in the end, I’m extorted to pay something that was never discussed or disclosed.

It's disclosed at the bottom of the second page of the service agreement. If you bought it in person you would've physically initialed beside it, if you bought it online it would've been digitally signed and you would've been sent a copy of it.

Is there a better way that Koodo could've conveyed this message to you that they can maybe use for future customers?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

When you are looking at phones on their site, it's always mentioned about Tab bonus.

So in the end, I’m extorted to pay something that was never discussed or disclosed.

It's disclosed at the bottom of the second page of the service agreement. If you bought it in person you would've physically initialed beside it, if you bought it online it would've been digitally signed and you would've been sent a copy of it.

Is there a better way that Koodo could've conveyed this message to you that they can maybe use for future customers?

Well, ideally I’d say they could just not hide a fee in the fine print, and potentially verbally disclose the hidden fees at the time of purchase.  Transparency would be great.  But they’ll never have me as a customer again.  They lost an 11 year customer, plus my wife is not shopping for a new provider...all due to their clear intent to hide the cost and their terrible support after the fact.  

Some fine print at the bottom of a contract is hardly a disclosure, however you try and justify it.  

When you are looking at phones on their site, it's always mentioned about Tab bonus.

It was purchase in person and never mentioned.   And why call it a tab bonus if not to hide the fact you are paying?  It’s needlessly convoluted with pretty clear intent.   Anyway, I’ll not waste my time further.  I’ve filed complaints with the CCTS and BBB for this sleazy tactic.   Maybe something comes of it, maybe it doesn’t, but their short sighted customer service will cost them more in the long run, at least in my case.   They’ve lost more than a couple accounts  just from my family.   

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Not that it makes it okay, but just note that all the carriers do this so keep that in mind when buying phone from other carriers in the future.

Not that it makes it okay, but just note that all the carriers do this so keep that in mind when buying phone from other carriers in the future.

I’m sure at least most do it.  But given the lack of post service, I’ll give another company a chance at my business.