Koodo Community
Solved

I got charged for roaming, but wasn’t actually able to make any phone calls.

I’m wondering whether anyone else has had a similar issue with international roaming.  I travelled to Anguilla and tried making a phone call, but everytime I tried, I got a message saying I’m not allowed to make the call.  I got charged for roaming, but wasn’t actually able to make any phone calls.

icon

Best answer by Robert T 15 May 2022, 03:44

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I’m wondering whether anyone else has had a similar issue with international roaming.  I travelled to Anguilla and tried making a phone call, but everytime I tried, I got a message saying I’m not allowed to make the call.  I got charged for roaming, but wasn’t actually able to make any phone calls.

Did you check your bill to see what you were charged for? It could be data leakage from your phone, which may have triggered the Easy Roam feature. 

It is possible you may have included one of the international add-ons and forgot the other one. Have you logged in to your Self-Serve account to see if you included the International Voice Roaming add-on to your plan? 

Yes, I had made sure I added the appropriate add-ons to my plan, and when I activated roaming I did get a text from Koodo acknowledging that roaming had been activated, but I was never able to get the call through.  Actually, all I was trying to do was access my VM, and I got an automated message from the Anguilla phone service saying I’m not permitted to make the call.  I ended up checking via my husband’s phone and had no problem.  I could never figure out what the issue was, why I couldn’t make the call, but my husband (who’s with Telus so you’d think it wouldn’t be different) had no issue.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Were you at least able to text and use your data while roaming? 

I don’t think I texted during that week and I didn’t use data because we had wifi where we were staying.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Yes, I had made sure I added the appropriate add-ons to my plan, and when I activated roaming I did get a text from Koodo acknowledging that roaming had been activated, but I was never able to get the call through.  Actually, all I was trying to do was access my VM, and I got an automated message from the Anguilla phone service saying I’m not permitted to make the call.  I ended up checking via my husband’s phone and had no problem.  I could never figure out what the issue was, why I couldn’t make the call, but my husband (who’s with Telus so you’d think it wouldn’t be different) had no issue.

How were you trying to reach your VM? Were you just dealing 1? Were your pressing the VM button? I believe the way your phone was dialing the VM number made it so that the phone wouldn’t connect. 

Yes, I believe I just was pressing the VM button, which wouldn’t have used the 1 in front of the number.  Maybe that was the issue then?  I guess I won’t know until the next time I try.  Thank you (and everyone) for trying to help me figure it out.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Most likely that was causing the issue. The way your phone is set up to dial the VM might not have included dealing it from outside Canada. 

Thx, Robert.