Koodo Community
Solved

New Customer? :)

• 10 July 2024
  • 5 replies

Hello,

I’m looking at downgrading from TELUS over to Koodo. Been testing LTE with my 5G off and it’s honestly been better than when running on 5G. I currently have a Google Pixel 7 with a data plan and my father is under my account with my old Samsung S7 on a Voice and Text plan and uses WIFI when available.

I’m most likely going to pick the 20GB plan at $34/month w/ Unlim. Text for myself. I’m eligible to transfer both our numbers so that’s great news. I can transfer online for my phone but I will need a SIM for Koodo.

Do I need to go instore and pick-up or will it get mailed? If I sign-up and wait by mail, do I lose my TELUS connection before I cancel?

I see that it says if I’m a new customer, I am eligible to add a new line instantly, which would be my fathers. I will probably get him to agree to upgrade to the 20GB as well. His current plan is $30 but w/ TELUS bundle we each save $7.50 but he has no data.

I guess I would have to go in-store to add his line instantly instead of waiting the 45 days (Because I want to cancel TELUS before the billing is up.) but then I’d have to pay the $60 activation fee for him yes?

Think that’s all the info I need to provide. Lemme know.

icon

Best answer by Oliver C 10 July 2024, 01:07

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi there,

so if you did it in a store, everything would be swapped over then and there but you would have to pay the $60 connection fee per line. If you did it online, you would have to order the two lines and they would be assigned a temporary number with SIM cards being sent in the mail. Once the SIM cards arrive and you setup your Koodo self serve account, you then port your Telus phone numbers to Koodo by following the steps outlined in the link. Once the numbers successfully port over, the Telus account gets closed so you don’t have to do anything else, it’s important that you do not cancel the account before the numbers are ported. I think that covers everything but if not feel free to ask 🙂👍

https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/moving-your-number-koodo

Hi there,

so if you did it in a store, everything would be swapped over then and there but you would have to pay the $60 connection fee per line. If you did it online, you would have to order the two lines and they would be assigned a temporary number with SIM cards being sent in the mail. Once the SIM cards arrive and you setup your Koodo self serve account, you then port your Telus phone numbers to Koodo by following the steps outlined in the link. Once the numbers successfully port over, the Telus account gets closed so you don’t have to do anything else, it’s important that you do not cancel the account before the numbers are ported. I think that covers everything but if not feel free to ask 🙂👍

There’s no way around the 45 day wait period if online huh, cause when I sign up, I’d have to go instore to add the second line immediately and port the # which I guess means having to pay $60 fee. If I wait 45 days, that number will be gone when the TELUS account is closed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

There is no 45 day waiting period as long as you are not getting a phone.

You can order online, and once your account is approved and activated and you get the email saying so, you can then confirm your self serve account and then login and add a 2nd line.

All you have to pay for to do this is the cost of the sim.

Userlevel 4

Hi there,

There’s no way around the 45 day wait period if online huh, cause when I sign up, I’d have to go instore to add the second line immediately and port the # which I guess means having to pay $60 fee. If I wait 45 days, that number will be gone when the TELUS account is closed.

I am confused about this 45 day waiting period.  What makes you think you will need to wait 45 days?  I live near Flin Flon (I see you are in Winnipeg).  I migrated from a prepaid plan to a post paid plan last October and as a result needed a new sim.  I don’t remember exactly how long it took to get my sim anymore, but it was probably closer to 8 days, no where near 45 days.  And all the mail going to Flin Flon flows through Winnipeg, so you can knock off at least one day if not two.  The new sim was mailed from an address in Mississauga, Ontario.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@RussKoodoo 

The 45 day waiting period is for new customers who recently activated their line, and then wants to add a new line or upgrade their primary line with a new device on Tab.