Koodo Community
Question

Misleading Discounts

• 24 November 2022
  • 7 replies

Hello,

I ported over 3 lines to Koodo yesterday at mobile klinik.  

I signed up for the $30/20gb plan the salesperson was promoting.

My issue is I noticed the bill credits in my account history are different than what I was told.  I was told I was signing up for a $55 plan but would receive a $20 credit for 15 months and a $5 credit for 24 months.  So $30 a month per month.

I can see in my account that a $20 credit is not really a $20 credit.  It’s $17.70.  I understand now that Koodo includes the tax in the credit.   I guess this is fine if it’s presented to a new customer that way however in my situation it was not.  The salesperson never said a word about taxes being included in the credit.  In fact he wrote on the agreement (right beside the $55) minus $20 for 15 months and minus $5 for 24 months.  I also read through the agreement and there is mention that credits include tax.

How do I go about getting this fixed?  I’m going to be paying a total of $9.75 more a month for my 3 lines than I was led to believe?

Thanks

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hello,

I ported over 3 lines to Koodo yesterday at mobile klinik.  

I signed up for the $30/20gb plan the salesperson was promoting.

My issue is I noticed the bill credits in my account history are different than what I was told.  I was told I was signing up for a $55 plan but would receive a $20 credit for 15 months and a $5 credit for 24 months.  So $30 a month per month.

I can see in my account that a $20 credit is not really a $20 credit.  It’s $17.70.  I understand now that Koodo includes the tax in the credit.   I guess this is fine if it’s presented to a new customer that way however in my situation it was not.  The salesperson never said a word about taxes being included in the credit.  In fact he wrote on the agreement (right beside the $55) minus $20 for 15 months and minus $5 for 24 months.  I also read through the agreement and there is mention that credits include tax.

How do I go about getting this fixed?  I’m going to be paying a total of $9.75 more a month for my 3 lines than I was led to believe?

Thanks

Koodo has been doing this for a long time. That being said, you currently have a great plan.

If it is still a sticking point for you, it may be a good idea to switch to another carrier for your peace of mind. https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/billcredits

My plan is to leave if additional credits are not applied to my account.  My only concern is making sure the activation fee will still be waived if I port out only 2 days after porting in.  

Yes, I know this is a good deal but it’s not what I agreed to or what is hand written by the salesperson on my agreement.  It’s the principle of it now.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

My plan is to leave if additional credits are not applied to my account.  My only concern is making sure the activation fee will still be waived if I port out only 2 days after porting in.  

Yes, I know this is a good deal but it’s not what I agreed to or what is hand written by the salesperson on my agreement.  It’s the principle of it now.

Unlikely that they would change it for you.

Did they charge you the connection fee and promised they will refund? If so, you might want to wait until then to port to another carrier (2nd or 3rd bill) in the case you still want connection fee refunded.

I highly recommend you file a complain with the CCTS. Include all your documentation, such as a photo of the hand written notes on your bill. Also if you are in the vicinity of your Koodo store, go back and take pictures of nay displays that advertise the $30/20GB plan. CCTS complaints cost carriers to respond to and are the only way to rectify poor business practices such as advertising post-tax credits on pre-tax plans. The fact that none of Koodo’s documentation will support the $30/20GB calculation should work in your favour since Koodo bills do not break down individual tax lines and only include an overall pre-tax/post-tax total like most invoices.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@Jaman16  - As far as I could tell from your account, it looks like you’re going to be invoiced as advertised as of your first bill. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Generally speaking, if your agreement mentions that the connection fee will be waived, it usually shows up as a credit on your second or third bill. On that basis, it is highly unlikely you will get the connection fee back if you decide to leave after 2 days.

The discount on the ebill show $17.7 for me as well. This is a scam but can’t do much :(