Koodo Community
Solved

In app purchase scam?

I have just checked my bill and notice a $4.99 charge. On this billing cycle, it is charged 5 times (total $24.95), and is called “In-App Purchase”

I have no idea what this charge is for, and there is nothing on the detailed breakdown of the bill either. I do not subscribe or put codes into my phone to subscribe to an in app purchase. How can I remedy this?  I feel more should be done form Koodo to stop this from happening. 

icon

Best answer by Dennis 9 June 2022, 17:40

View original

65 replies

Userlevel 1

The exact same thing just happened to me as well. Opened my new bill and there are 5 separate charges of $4.99 each, all marked as “application store service.” Interestingly, 4 of those charges were made on various dates at exactly 3:18 AM, the fifth made at 3:19 AM. I can assure you at that time of night I’m in a deep sleep and not purchasing anything. Nor have I purchased anything at any other time. I’ll be making a trip into the Koodo store to find out what’s going on.

Yes, I can see that this is happening in the middle of the night too. From other sources on here, it looks like some people receive text messages and reply to them and this trips the third party purchase. I have never replied to any text messages or given Koodo my permission to take these third party expenses from my account! Please let me know how you get on. I phoned out local branch but was advised to go onto the Koodo assist. From there I have booked a call back from an agent tomorrow. Thank you for responding. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Check your texts from 5415.

This should explain it and let you know how to resolve. 

https://community.koodomobile.com/plans-services-232910/managing-3rd-party-application-purchases-on-your-wireless-bill-7810429

Yes Dennis I did and I dont have any text from  5415.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Yes Dennis I did and I dont have any text from  5415.

Check your spam text folder

Is there a spam text folder Dennis? I thought all texts come through just on your phone without a filter?

Userlevel 1

I have just checked my bill and notice a $4.99 charge. On this billing cycle, it is charged 5 times (total $24.95), and is called “In-App Purchase”

I have no idea what this charge is for, and there is nothing on the detailed breakdown of the bill either. I do not subscribe or put codes into my phone to subscribe to an in app purchase. How can I remedy this?  I feel more should be done form Koodo to stop this from happening. 

Spam text folder?  Where the heck is that?? This smells like an underhanded method  by someone to squeeze an extra 25 bucks out of customers. I received no text by that number and I didn't use my Koodo PIN to purchase anything, in fact don't even know it off the top of my head.

Userlevel 1

Rocky, I will indeed post more information once I'm able to get hold of someone at Koodo.

Maybe if you cant get any joy at the store, book a call back for tomorrow ( Earliest call back was for tomorrow for me)  You could always cancel it. I feel like I wanted answers NOW but nobody at the store can help it seems. 

Userlevel 1

Rocky...one more thing. You mentioned your charges were all in the middle of the night...you should check the exact times to see if they're all the same time or very close. Four of five in mine were exact, the fifth one second off. This has to be intentional fraud by someone.

Userlevel 1

Will do. 👍

Yes, I am trying to see where I found that before I guess it was in the billing or charges area. I will look back and see.  One thing I am looking at is a text from Koodo. from 5140. It says its from Koodo and I wouldn’t have replied to it. Wonder if that is the spoof? It mentions me by name. That is a scam if it is this. But Dennis above mentioned 5415 as a text number. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Spam text folder?  Where the heck is that?? This smells like an underhanded method  by someone to squeeze an extra 25 bucks out of customers. I received no text by that number and I didn't use my Koodo PIN to purchase anything, in fact don't even know it off the top of my head.

On iPhone if you have it turned on, go to your messages app, in the top left click filter, then you’ll see all your messages folders.
On Samsung (should be similar for most android devices) go to the messages app, tap the menu icon in the top right, then tap spam & blocked.

All of my charges are at 12.08am and 12.09am ( 5 charges at $4.99) 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

All of my charges are at 12.08am and 12.09am ( 5 charges at $4.99) 

Its a subscription service, so the charges would occur daily, weekly, etc at the same time after it has been signed up for. I flagged a rep for you to provide some more details on this.

Thank you Allan M. But I have only ever subscribed to something on the Apple App store never anywhere else. I cant see how anyone has permission to take anything out of my Koodo account.  I have never signed up for this. 

Dan1957  on the iphone go into settings and messages and then see you can filter them. When you then go back into the imessages you can see the filtered ones

Userlevel 1

Rocky…..that's what I figured, they'd all be within a second. Allan, I have a Samsung 9 and the menu at the top right of the message function contains several options but none for marking as spam. But if this is coming from a third party, how did they obtain our Koodo information if not from them directly?

I am guessing Koodo has an agreement to charge for third party purchases from different companies and get a cut from it. The charges would have been put on by Koodo. 

Userlevel 1

If so, it must be  buried somewhere in the fine print on the contract.  I've been with Koodo since 2017 and this has never happened before.

No nor me either. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hello @RockyW! On April 27, you received the following SMS from 5415 on the line ending in 66:

“Please enter your personal PIN 2**6 to join and get your access to StreamGym. Price $4.99 / Week (excl tax).”

then, a few seconds later:

“Welcome to StreamGym. Here’s your access: https://go.ca.en.streamgym.today/ Price $4.99 / Week (excl tax). Stop? text STOP GYM to 5415. Help? ca@streamgym.today

To cancel this service and dispute the charges, please get in touch with the vendor by following the instructions mentioned in the SMS.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Dan1957! On May 8, you received the following SMS from 5415 on the line ending in 89:

“Enter PIN 4**0 to complete your subscription to XONE. You Will be charged $4.99/week (tax exc).”

and shortly after that:

“Welcome to XONE. You can access your account and enjoy the service by visiting https://wap.renxo.com/subs/4613 You will be charged $4.99/week (tax exc). To cancel, text STOP XONE to 5415 for free or visit . Help? support@renxo.com”

To cancel this service and dispute the charges, please get in touch with the vendor by following the instructions mentioned in the SMS.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I’d also like to mention that Koodo only facilitates the activation process between the customer and a third party vendor, we don’t actually keep any of the charges.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Are you guys not the ones who did this? 

I am guessing Koodo has an agreement to charge for third party purchases from different companies and get a cut from it. The charges would have been put on by Koodo. 

I mean...it asked you to enter a PIN to get charged...