Koodo Community
Question

Getting charged for service before I received my Sim card

• 20 September 2021
  • 20 replies

I ordered my Sim card onSept 13th and received it on Sept 17th. I activated it yesterday and set up my self serve account. The bill has already generated and I am being charged for partial services from sept 13-16 before I received my Sim card. I obviously could not use the service before I got the card, so I called customer service to get that partial service charged removed. The customer service rep refused. Said they are activated beforehand for my convenience and this is standard practice. Well charging a customer for service that they cannot use is a no no. They transferred me to a manager who said the same thing and was very argumentative. I am considering filing a complaint with the BBB and the CRTC as they are charging their customers for service before they get the Sim card and refusing to reverse that charge. They are making a fortune off of customers for this bad business practice. Great introduction to Koodo. My partner activated their account the same time as I did and has the same issue. 

20 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I don't know why that Rep said that. You absolutely can and should get refunded the days you didn't have service. I never agreed with it but it's how they do it.

I'll flag a Rep here to assist you.

Userlevel 4

@Haywiredeb We’ll be happy to have a look into this for you. Please keep an eye out for a private message from our @Koodo account :)

I am also experiencing this issue. SIM card was shipped on Sept 13th, but was not received until Sept 17th and the account/phone service was activated yesterday Sept 19th. I received partial charges on my bill for service I did not and could not use. I am hesitant to call customer service due to the treatment of the original poster. I am hoping to get this issue resolved.

Userlevel 4

@haywireglen Private message from @Koodo incoming!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@haywireglen @Haywiredeb

Any relation? 

I also just joined koodo, I ordered on the 10,th received Sim card on 15th, being charged for 4 days , 

I am experiencing the same issue. I ordered to port 2 numbers from another provider.  The 2 Sim cards were shipped on Nov 23th, received on Dec. 1st, and ported on Dec. 3rd. The partial charges for Nov. is unfair, so I called customer service but they refused to reverse the charges.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I am experiencing the same issue. I ordered to port 2 numbers from another provider.  The 2 Sim cards were shipped on Nov 23th, received on Dec. 1st, and ported on Dec. 3rd. The partial charges for Nov. is unfair, so I called customer service but they refused to reverse the charges.

They should issue a credit between nov23-dec1 when you received the sim. Did you ask for a credit for those dates or did you want a credit until Dec when you ported? 

I ordered a phone n sim, just received yesterday n i see in self serve I m being charged for partial 4 days? When I don't even have sim n phone. I talked to rep and she mentioned koodo only refunds it's more than 7 days? This is unreal. What a bad customer experience.

They should issue a credit between nov23-dec1 when you received the sim. Did you ask for a credit for those dates or did you want a credit until Dec when you ported? 

I asked for a credit only for the partial charges of Nov (Nov 23-30).

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@Robert Han @jodha23

I would request a callback again and speak with the rep to request a credit for the period that the phone and sim did not yet arrive. Hopefully you get a better rep that will issue you the credit. 

@Robert Han @jodha23

I would request a callback again and speak with the rep to request a credit for the period that the phone and sim did not yet arrive. Hopefully you get a better rep that will issue you the credit. 

Yes, another callback resolved the issue.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Glad this new rep was able to do what makes sense. 

@Robert Han I called and talked to rep was put to another rep and after lot of discussion was told to wait till first bill comes. I am not sure if that resolves anything for me.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@Robert Han I called and talked to rep was put to another rep and after lot of discussion was told to wait till first bill comes. I am not sure if that resolves anything for me.

When did you order a phone? And when did you receive it? Have you received your first bill? If you did,what is your billing cycle?

@Mayumi ordered last month around 25-26 Nov  and received on Dec 6. Billing cycle 29 Nov to 28 Dec.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@Mayumi ordered last month around 25-26 Nov  and received on Dec 6. Billing cycle 29 Nov to 28 Dec.

Ok. So you already received your first bill.

You can pay your first bill as is - partial plus full - for now, and  call them back and ask them to add credit for no service between  Nov 25/26 to Dec 5 since you received your phone on Dec 6th.   

@Drew Koodo 

I'm having the same issue as well, would you be able to have someone look into it for me?

I'm being billed starting on the 7th of December, but didn't receive the SIM card in the mail until yesterday (16th). Had a similar discussion with the phone rep as the previous posters, she said nothing could be done.

Thanks

I got my first bill today including my wife’s phone and behold the bill amount is 154.88cad in which 45.58cad is on my existing number and rest 100+ dollars on her account. The phone i got for her is part of their promotions for 1 dollar and plan is 50cad per month which is charged twice. This is nothing but day light robbery. I hope i had never trusted any provider like i used to back in india and always bought my own phones and just a prepaid plan. Here I was compelled to buy phone due to unavailability of phones for outright purchases and one is forced to sign 2 yr contracts. Really disgusted with this whole episode, I will never recommend anyone for anything on contract.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I got my first bill today including my wife’s phone and behold the bill amount is 154.88cad in which 45.58cad is on my existing number and rest 100+ dollars on her account. The phone i got for her is part of their promotions for 1 dollar and plan is 50cad per month which is charged twice. This is nothing but day light robbery. I hope i had never trusted any provider like i used to back in india and always bought my own phones and just a prepaid plan. Here I was compelled to buy phone due to unavailability of phones for outright purchases and one is forced to sign 2 yr contracts. Really disgusted with this whole episode, I will never recommend anyone for anything on contract.

Your first bill always includes pro-rated charges from your activation date to your billing date, as well as the next full month in advance. That could explain why you were charged “twice”, since the date of activation just passed your billing date. https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/charges-explained

Could you provide us with a screenshot of your bill, so that we can better assist you? Make sure to remove any personal details, as this is a public forum.