Koodo Community

Getting Billed for Easy Roam without using services.

Hi, 

I've been getting billed month after month since January '22 for Easy Roam charges close to $40 and up. I looked at the bill there are may be couple of instances where I sent a international text and may be a call, but got charged several more times for not even using the service. I dont see any recognisable  numbers in the  bill history to trace the call/ charges. My monthly bills each month wouldn't cross 40$ but now I am paying over 100$.

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi, 

I've been getting billed month after month since January '22 for Easy Roam charges close to $40 and up. I looked at the bill there are may be couple of instances where I sent a international text and may be a call, but got charged several more times for not even using the service. I dont see any recognisable  numbers in the  bill history to trace the call/ charges. My monthly bills each month wouldn't cross 40$ but now I am paying over 100$.

Did you turn off data roaming while abroad? In many cases, there is data leakage from your phone, which triggers the Easy Roam feature. 

As a foolproof measure, make sure to remove your SIM card when you are not using the service. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Easy Roam gets triggered whenever making or answering any type of call, using any amount of data or sending a text. 

Another way to avoid data leakage is to make sure Data AND Data Roaming are turned off. Smartphones are built to want to connect to the internet. If Data is kept on while Data Roaming is off , you’re essentially telling your phone you still want to use the internet but only if it’s not roaming. The only way for your phone to know where its located is to periodically ping the network. Those network pings is what causes data leakage. 

Having both options OFF, tells your phone that you aren’t interested in using data at all therefore it won’t keep checking if it should connect or not. 

Hope this clears things up 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

So for the last 4 or 5 months you are getting roaming charges? Are you traveling? If no, do you live by the boarder? 

Easy Roam gets triggered whenever making or answering any type of call, using any amount of data or sending a text. 

Another way to avoid data leakage is to make sure Data AND Data Roaming are turned off. Smartphones are built to want to connect to the internet. If Data is kept on while Data Roaming is off , you’re essentially telling your phone you still want to use the internet but only if it’s not roaming. The only way for your phone to know where its located is to periodically ping the network. Those network pings is what causes data leakage. 

Having both options OFF, tells your phone that you aren’t interested in using data at all therefore it won’t keep checking if it should connect or not. 

Hope this clears things up 

I have had consciously turned off Mobile Data and Data Roaming before I left Canada and never turned on those two settings. I have a local number here that I've been using for data. My guess is that the leaks are happening when a network is automatically changed/ selected. I am getting a text message from koodo every time there is change in the network provider. Strangely, that was when I got charged a flat rate of 14$ for easyroam.  There were 4 entries in my bill from last month. And few more entries from the months preceding. No specific number listed in the bill. 

There were only two or three instances where I sent a text and made a call to a Canada number which was charged correctly. The rest are all happened when there was an change to the network selection. I now changed the network selection to manual from automatic.

How do I escalate this to Koodo billing. I hope they refund me for this.

Hi, 

Did you turn off data roaming while abroad? In many cases, there is data leakage from your phone, which triggers the Easy Roam feature. 

As a foolproof measure, make sure to remove your SIM card when you are not using the service. 

Yes, data roaming was turned off, never turned on as I have a local number for data. I will have to disable the sim card now.

So for the last 4 or 5 months you are getting roaming charges? Are you traveling? If no, do you live by the boarder? 

Yes, I don't live by the boarder. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Has the roaming charges maybe coincided with restartibg or powering off your phone? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@Kyr - I went back a few months and can only find minimal data usage back on March 1st. It looks like the rest of the charges were mostly cause by sent text messages with the exception of one or two calls. 

Is there a particular day that you were charged that doesn't match up with your phone usage?

I am still getting these charges in the bill that i don’t understand. Both May and June Bills has Easy Roam charges of $28.00 and $14.00. Never sent a text or made a call. If anything I would have probably enabled and disabled the sim. The text message is number 99999. I don’t remember sending text to a number like that. Same thing has been happening since Jan,22 with few exceptions where I’ve sent text messages or made calls. How can I be charged for data leaks like this. A total of $ 175.00 charged for easyroam since Jan 09, 2022 till June 2022 where the number called is listed as 99999. So basically I am getting charged every time I turn my phone on and it searches for and selects a network. Even though I haven’t called explicitly called any number or sent a text with a few exceptions. In those cases the phone number dialed or received a call from is listed in on the bill.

Here’s a snapshot of the charges for easyroam from May and June bills.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

The 99999 is just an indication that roaming was triggered.

Check the usage page in your self serve. Do you see a call made/answered, a text sent or data used during that time that easy roam is triggered?

Post a screenshot and we can help review this here. 

The only details under Mobile Services section of the bill are these details, ( attached below ).

There are no other entries. This is the most recent bill. I see this pattern on previous months bills as well. Although some are made by me which are exception. Every time, I make the sim active it selects a network and sends me a text message saying ‘someone on the network is roaming” I wonder if these text messages are triggering the easyroam service to become active. This was not the case when I used this service last year, I was going in and out of the network all the time and I never had to disable the sim to avoid charges.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Like I said above, you need to review the Usage page in self serve and compare it with the times easy roam. Is triggered in your pdf ebill. 

Thanks for the info. I went through the usage details for Airtime, Data, and Messaging. It looks similar and corresponds to what's in the bill, I have attachments below for the past few months.