Koodo Community
Solved

Charged for easy roam when I did not activate it , and for incoming calls 99999

I am currently in France and checked my bill to see I have been charged 4 x $13 for calls from 9999. I have not used my phone since being here, nor have I accepted incoming calls. I am also not entirely sure WHY I have been able to receive these calls and I had not accepted easy roam. 

Help! 

icon

Best answer by Allan M 3 January 2022, 15:44

View original

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If you haven't used your phone as in your phone has been turned off?

Easy Roam charges incur for any minute you are on the phone for (including calling your voicemail), sending text messages, or data usage (if the data toggle is on on your phone then you're likely using data)

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hello @Sava! We checked the charges you mentioned and they are all valid.

As @Allan M mentioned above, retrieving voicemail messages, outgoing messages and incoming calls count towards Easy Roam usage. 

The best ways to avoid roaming charges are putting the phone on airplane mode or removing the SIM card.

Hey @Lavinia Koodo  

But what is the 99999 number from? And I am uncertain why I am charged for incoming calls that I did not answer- all of which were spam. I am also very confused as to why I am receiving calls.  I did call my VM but it does not look like I was charged.

I am still uncertain why these charges are valid. The text messages I have sent are when I am connected to wifi but I use Whatsapp for the most part- on my bill it looks like I have not been charged for the texts either, only that I have sent X amount. 

Also, I never activated or accepted EasyRoam so I am not sure why the charges would be valid for $13 rather than a minute to minute cost. 

@Allan M Rather I mean I have not used my phones data or been using my phone to call without wifi. I only make calls through Whatsapp.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Easy roam is a flat rate otherwise the roaming would have been at the pay per use rate, which is super expensive.

https://www.koodomobile.com/payperuse

The 99999 indicates a roaming incident, typically triggered by data use. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@Sava In your case, the first three roaming charges were triggered by outgoing SMS, and the fourth charge was triggered by voicemail retrieval. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Text messages can't be sent over wifi. Only messaging apps such as imessage, Facebook Messenger or WhatsApp can send messages over wifi.

The VM retrieval was me and I understand the fee on this one. However, unfortunately these answers still don’t answer my question as to why I was charged EasyRoam fees when I never activated it in the first place. I received messages from Koodo indicating I could opt into EasyRoam but I did not accept it when I arrived in France. 

Since I did not accept it then how would it make sense to pay $39 for 3 SMS texts? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Easy Roam was added on your line in 2018. If you feel that this service does not suit your needs, you can remove it in your Self Serve account and opt for the pay-per-use rates instead.

Hi, this is not okay. 

I want to talk to your manager now. 

I made 0 calls. I’ve turned off my cellular & data roaming since I arrived in France on 16/12/21. 

I want a refund now.

Please advise.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I did call my VM but it does not look like I was charged.

The text messages I have sent are when I am connected to wifi

@Sava In your case, the first three roaming charges were triggered by outgoing SMS, and the fourth charge was triggered by voicemail retrieval. 

So as seen above, Lavinia said that the first 3 were done by SMS and the 4th was from Voicemail.

Also seen above you had mentioned earlier to making texts over wifi (which we stated wasn't possible for SMS) and admitted to calling your Voicemail.

So it seems like those charges all line up, no?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

The VM retrieval was me and I understand the fee on this one. However, unfortunately these answers still don’t answer my question as to why I was charged EasyRoam fees when I never activated it in the first place. I received messages from Koodo indicating I could opt into EasyRoam but I did not accept it when I arrived in France. 

Since I did not accept it then how would it make sense to pay $39 for 3 SMS texts? 

I think I understand what you are getting at. Can you post the screen shot of the text you received from koodo regarding easyroam when you arrived in France? 

What I am getting at is that it was activated without me approving it. The messages I sent through iMessage should have only sent it I were connected to wifi. I turned off my data roaming so I’m not sure how it was possible to send an SMS text without having wifi. Yes, the VM charge I am aware of. 
I am really not ok with this and paying three times over my bill for these charges is ridiculous. I want to speak to the manager about this because I’m not pleased and I am going to write a review about this process. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

What I am getting at is that it was activated without me approving it. The messages I sent through iMessage should have only sent it I were connected to wifi. I turned off my data roaming so I’m not sure how it was possible to send an SMS text without having wifi. Yes, the VM charge I am aware of. 
I am really not ok with this and paying three times over my bill for these charges is ridiculous. I want to speak to the manager about this because I’m not pleased and I am going to write a review about this process. 

And when you saw this text that told you easy roam is on, did you go and turn off easy roam?

The Koodo rep said easy roam was added in 2018.

Is that when you signed up or upgraded? Or made a change instore?