Koodo Community
Question

Charged $13.99 for Application Store Service I did not authorize

On June 17th at 12:54 am   (when I was not even awake) I was charged $13.99 for something called “Application Store Service 1.0000 events “

How do I get this removed from my bill and how do I make sure it doesn’t show up again next month.

I did not receive and reply to any text asking me to subscribe to anything.

23 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

On June 17th at 12:54 am   (when I was not even awake) I was charged $13.99 for something called “Application Store Service 1.0000 events “

How do I get this removed from my bill and how do I make sure it doesn’t show up again next month.

Did you receive any text messages from 5415? It will tell you how to stop the subscription service. 

The text message was from 5387   -   something called  “ CloudyGaming “

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

The text message was from 5387   -   something called  “ CloudyGaming “

That text should have instructions on how to cancel and an email/number to request a refund.

I was able to cancel the subscription but the person I spoke to on the phone wouldn’t refund the first charge.

I’m extremely upset that Koodoo would associate itself with businesses that use reverse billing to charge people for subscriptions they didn’t order and  make the victims responsible for figuring out how to cancel the subscriptions. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I would call the number again to request a refund. This is the first time I heard of them denying the request 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I was able to cancel the subscription but the person I spoke to on the phone wouldn’t refund the first charge.

I’m extremely upset that Koodoo would associate itself with businesses that use reverse billing to charge people for subscriptions they didn’t order and  make the victims responsible for figuring out how to cancel the subscriptions. 

Did you receive an email from the text message? Have you tried contacting them through that method instead? 

Userlevel 1

Hey Alan. Koodo sucks at resolving these and doesn’t care if the charges are fraudulent or not - they just allow them. Also don’t expect a refund from Koodo - they don’t consider themselves to be at fault here. Instead, once Koodo says you’re responsible, call your bank and ask them to dispute these charges. You’ll get your money back and Koodo will be left dealing with some negative balance. Hopefully as soon as more customers do this, they eventually might start considering to check if charges they allow to their customers are legitimate or not. 

Can anyone provide any further info about this?

I cannot find the text, I have no idea how I subscribed and don’t know how to unsubscribe.

Does anyone know if an installed app is responsible and which one? (I’ll remove it)

Hi,

I was unable to find any related text either confirming my subscription or telling me how to unsubscribe. Koodo was helpful by providing me instructions to unsubscribe; send a text to 5415 “STOP ESR”, and create/refer my case to esrtv.com.

ESR TV confirmed that I’ve been unsubscribed and they will reverse the last charge.

Still, I want to know how I was subscribed since I think their business is gaming and possibly sports related, neither of which are really of interest to me. I suspect that I was somehow tricked into subscribing or perhaps an app with read/send SMS privs did it on my behalf.

Has anyone figured out how they became subscribed?

Thanks,

Darren

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Why is it only Koodo having this issue? I'm on Fido, I have friends on Bell & Virgin, and we never have this issue. 

Go to pay by mobile......open an accourt and you will see the fées.....there go to the option to cancel......I juste did.......and get ridicule of koodo......thats what I m dring this morning

I found that I had blocked messages from 5414 sometime in the past. When I unblocked that number I got a new message from that number saying “Your access to Soccer Lives has been renewed till 09/27” at $4.99/week. Know these facts: I have 0 interest in soccer, I feel sorry for the players out in all weather! I have never watched a soccer game, I have never looked at a soccer website. This is totally bogus!! If Koodo won’t refund the $, I will take my business elsewhere. Thank you.

Sorry, to clarify my last message: the ripoff text number is 5415, not 5414. I noticed the $4.99/week charge on my bill belatedly. I don’t know how long it has been going on as Koodo only allows a 2 month review. Well, shame on me for not checking sooner! But Koodo just plugs it into your account without discussion or alert, so shame on them!! On that recent text there was the option to cancel so of course, I did. FREEDOM has some attractive rates...

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You can see up to 12 months of billing : 

Sorry, my mistake. Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I found that I had blocked messages from 5414 sometime in the past. When I unblocked that number I got a new message from that number saying “Your access to Soccer Lives has been renewed till 09/27” at $4.99/week. Know these facts: I have 0 interest in soccer, I feel sorry for the players out in all weather! I have never watched a soccer game, I have never looked at a soccer website. This is totally bogus!! If Koodo won’t refund the $, I will take my business elsewhere. Thank you.

Did you reach out to the third-party merchant directly to request for a refund? You can refer to the text message you received from 5415 for an email address. 

Yes I did reach out to the 3rd party merchant with request for refund; waiting for a response. My question is: How did they sneak in to my telephone-business relationship with Koodo? I have no connection with this 3rd party company. I owe for phone services with Koodo, not some SoccerLives outfit. Why did Koodo allow them to drain money from my credit card? I have a contract with Koodo, not with this unscrupulous bogus outfit. Ultimately, Koodo has allowed this, Koodo is responsible to fix it and prevent this from happening ever again, to me or to anyone.

Has anyone received a cash back?   I just noticed that I had this same charge added to my bill without my knowledge…  I’m contacting pay by mobile and koodo but based on the responses I’m not likely going to get anywhere with a refund.

Has anyone received a cash back?   I just noticed that I had this same charge added to my bill without my knowledge…  I’m contacting pay by mobile and koodo but based on the responses I’m not likely going to get anywhere with a refund.

Don’t give up. Koodo insisted that I reach out to this sneaky company and ask for refund. When they didn’t respond after a few days, Koodo gave a credit. As they should, since Koodo allowed this to happen. Koodo actually has a great PR reputation, if Koodo sees more complaints about this, maybe they will do something about it.

Hi… I’m a new customer with Koodo and I’m curious does this type of behaviour happen often without the customer consent? From what I am reading the OP didn’t consent to this, yes or no?

Don’t give up. Koodo insisted that I reach out to this sneaky company and ask for refund. When they didn’t respond after a few days, Koodo gave a credit. As they should, since Koodo allowed this to happen. Koodo actually has a great PR reputation, if Koodo sees more complaints about this, maybe they will do something about it.

Thx for the info!  I’ll keep on top of them.

Hi… I’m a new customer with Koodo and I’m curious does this type of behaviour happen often without the customer consent? From what I am reading the OP didn’t consent to this, yes or no?

I did not consent to this and it took me three months to realize I was getting charged every month…. I was really surprised that this could happen!  I did some searching on this and it seems like many people have had the same issue with this company.  

Well, if that’s the case and Koodo doesn’t do nothing about it get a group class action sue against them. All the people this is happening to should get together and get a lawyer sue Koodo over it. I’m sure once Koodo notice they’re being sued by a group of people they’ll stop it ASAP and reimburse everyone, Regardless what Koodo say they are allowing this charged to be put on “THEIR “ billing which they should block.