Koodo Community
Question

Will Koodo reduce phone unlocking prices?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for comments

42 replies

It should be free. Australia, where I went this summer, has free unlocking, just when asked... I ...John has the right idea. It also costs the company money every time a line is opened to an agent. I don't know the exact amounts. It is definitely not a cash grab though. A cash grab would indicate some type of profit to be made. There isn't any profit to be made here, in fact it's to help cover the costs of customers calling in for simple requests "Change my rate plan/addons, change my phone number/equipment", etc. Matt is not well informed of how things work/are charged behind the scenes.
Userlevel 2
It should be free. Australia, where I went this summer, has free unlocking, just when asked... I ...Ah, another condescending reply. I find it funny how some people can't just respectfully disagree and offer reasons why, as opposed to resorting to petty belittling comments like "Matt is not well informed of how things work behind the scenes", or "don't start your own business or you'll be bankrupt in days". Cast: are you sitting in on high level board mettings at Telus where this type of stuff is being discussed? Because if you're not, then you're just speculating. Of course it costs the company money to have a call centre and provide customer service. It's a basic operating expense and should be built into the overall cost of the plans, not an additional fee levied against a very specific and basic type of call, while calls of other natures aren't charged at all. Whether someone calls in to switch a plan, or to get information about services, or to troubleshoot a problem, they all cost Koodo the same amount (assuming the time spent on the line is all equal), why single out just the people that want to change their plan? Yes, its possible to do it yourself online. It's also possible to troubleshoot a technical problem online with a simple google search, or get information about koodo services in the same manner. I just think it's a little odd that such a basic and simple thing like calling in and switching plans carries an additional fee, as if providing this seemingly elementary action for free would somehow be going above and beyond typical customer service practice. Also, it's not like Koodo/Telus is hard up for cash and needs to cut costs or they'll go bankrupt, their projected 2012 revenue is 11.05 billion. These little $5-10 add ons (or charging $50 to unlock a phone that koodo originally had locked in the first place) are making investors billions upon billions, yet the average customer gets no added value in return for paying these additional fees. Yay, three cheers for maximizing profits.
Userlevel 2
It should be free. Australia, where I went this summer, has free unlocking, just when asked... I ...Notice how I didn't make a personal attack in my reply? Stay Classy San Diego.
Userlevel 3
It should be free. Australia, where I went this summer, has free unlocking, just when asked... I ...I'm happy not to have to call into CS. Giving me the tools to do it myself and I'm a satisfied Customer. CSRs cost money, the costs we as consumers ultimately pay.
Badge +4
It should be free. Australia, where I went this summer, has free unlocking, just when asked... I ...Excellent responses mattjs!
Userlevel 3
The real question is: If I pay full price for my phone, where does any carrier get off locking it to begin with? And if I don't owe you any subsidy, then you should be required by law to unlock it. I say by law, because there is no other way they will change their ways....
The real question is: If I pay full price for my phone, where does any carrier get off locking...Carriers lock the phones so customers don't just up and take the phone else where. Most companies subsidize the cost of their phones to make it a bit more affordable(even on contracts). Because of this, in order to be able to recoup the cost of the phone, the phone is locked to that carrier's network and there are usually requirements for the carrier to unlock it. Now you can always go to a trusted 3rd party unlocking service, which is generally cheaper in the long run if you really want your phone unlocked.
Userlevel 1
Hey Mo The answer like you already know is no, Koodo will not unlock your phone for free and will not reduce the cost of the unlocking fees, furthermore Koodo is imposing some conditions to fulfill before unlocking your phone 1. The phone must be active for a minimum 90 days. 2. The last three consecutive bills must be paid in full. 3. Your account cannot be delinquent. 4. Your account must be in active status.
Userlevel 3
Hey Mo The answer like you already know is no, Koodo will not unlock your phone for free and w...Why? If the hardware is paid for in full, how can they hold the device lock? There will be a legal challenge eventually
Userlevel 1
Hey Mo The answer like you already know is no, Koodo will not unlock your phone for free and w...I do not think so, why?... because it was licenced by the manufacturer to Koodo that does not want to let you walk away from him to another competitor, I find that pretty logic, you want to use their phone even if you fully paid it on another provider network.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hey Mo The answer like you already know is no, Koodo will not unlock your phone for free and w...just do what I've started doing and buy the Unlocked International version of a phone from an online retailer. It doesn't cost any more and actually could be cheaper in some instances. I got my Unlocked International Galaxy Note 2 for $800 with taxes and express delivery and it would have been that much if I bought it outright from any provider in Canada. Alot of ppl don't want to wait for it to be delivered but it only took 22hrs to get to my door. The best part is now I don't have to wait for carriers to update the phones software it is Samsungs decision to release the update and theirs only. - KID ANDROID. ( Team.Android.Canada)
Userlevel 1
Hey Mo The answer like you already know is no, Koodo will not unlock your phone for free and w...Kid just gave the alternative solution, that will avoid you pay extra charges if you want to follow legal action against Koodo in case you prefer call your lawyer
Userlevel 2
Hey Mo The answer like you already know is no, Koodo will not unlock your phone for free and w...That's not even the best scenario, KID overpayed by about $60. Rogers sells the note 2 for $733 taxes in. If you do a bit of searching you can find unlock codes for an additional $3-$15 online. Also, you never have to wait for an official carrier update if you don't choose to, you can load any applicable firmware you want..
Userlevel 3
Hey Mo The answer like you already know is no, Koodo will not unlock your phone for free and w...I'm not suggesting I would hire a lawyer, however will all the current discussions about regulation and the bill in Quebec, I foresee challenges to the hardware locking. So you purchased your new Dodge Truck from the Dealer. He gave you a discount, but you now want to service somewhere else. You can't because it locked to that Dealer. How is this fair?
Userlevel 4
Hey Mo The answer like you already know is no, Koodo will not unlock your phone for free and w...They technically do that. If you lease a car, or even if you buy it outright, to maintain the warranty, you need to go to them for service, or else the warranty might become void. Not really the same, but there are ties.
Userlevel 4
Hey Mo The answer like you already know is no, Koodo will not unlock your phone for free and w...ie. Hondas have to go to Honda workshops. Not necessarily the same shop
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hey Mo The answer like you already know is no, Koodo will not unlock your phone for free and w...Hey Mattjs the price you gave for the Note 2 from Rogers is outright if your on a Rogers month to month plan not an outright price for purchase if your not on Rogers. I like to have official software on my phone and so do others so putting a unofficial ROM on it doesn't work for everybody - KID ANDROID. ( Team.Android.Canada)