Koodo Community
Question

Will Koodo reduce phone unlocking prices?

Userlevel 1
So, Telus has cut the price for unlocking a phone from $50 down to $35. Anyone know if and/or when this might be coming to Koodo? http://mobilesyrup.com/2012/10/15/telus-cuts-the-cost-of-unlocking-a-device-from-50-to-35/

This topic has been closed for comments

42 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Other places are cheaper like GSM LIBERTY. It cost me $30 to unlock my Galaxy Note to use with Koodo. - KID ANDROID ( Team.Android.Canada)
Userlevel 1
I know. My phone is unlocked, too. But I was just curious to know. If major carriers start making this cheaper, it becomes cheaper everywhere, too. A win for consumers.
Userlevel 6
Koodo already offers phones on Tab instead of Contract so i don't think reducing it is in Koodo's best interest.
Userlevel 5
Koodo already offers phones on Tab instead of Contract so i don't think reducing it is in Koodo's...But Koodo kind of follows what Telus' does, like for example, the including Caller ID and Voicemail to all the plans kind of thing.
Userlevel 4
Koodo already offers phones on Tab instead of Contract so i don't think reducing it is in Koodo's...But Koodo is also first for the tab. And unlimited international texting. And other stuff like that. Plus, they were one of the first to get rid of long distance within Canada. Good stuff 🙂
Userlevel 6
Koodo already offers phones on Tab instead of Contract so i don't think reducing it is in Koodo's...And they were the first to add Caller ID and Voicemail too. It was the other guys that followed. That said I'll take a lower price for anyhting as long as it comes without compromises.
Userlevel 5
It would be good if Koodo did lower the price, especially since there isn't many places to get your iPhone officially unlocked. Otherwise as mentioned it is cheaper to go elsewhere. As a side note it seems Telus (for the most part) has mostly adopted Koodos fee schedule, things are now free unless you can do them yourself online, and if you choose to have a rep do them for you theres a fee.
Userlevel 1
It would be good if Koodo did lower the price, especially since there isn't many places to get yo...Wait, so Koodo sets the trend for Telus? Can you say badass?
Userlevel 5
It would be good if Koodo did lower the price, especially since there isn't many places to get yo...Yup at the dealer level all they can charge now is for phonebook transfers, phone number changes, etc all stuff that you can do yourself for free! No activation fees, no renewal fees (although you pay to do an equipment swap if not doing a renewal) Here's a link to their new fees (these are the only things you'ld pay for). http://www.telusmobility.com/en/AB/Billing-Support/Clear-Simple-fees.shtml
Userlevel 1
It would be good if Koodo did lower the price, especially since there isn't many places to get yo...Off-topic question? If there are no contracts, how does the Equipment Swap and Renewal work, with Tab?
Userlevel 5
It would be good if Koodo did lower the price, especially since there isn't many places to get yo...They are kinda a hybrid, you still have a 3 year term, but it works like the koodo tab to calculate your fees (so if you save $360 it's $10 a month). If you want to renew you need to pay off whatever left and then you can renew, no other fees or anything now. Sorry for hijacking this with Telus stuff! It's good to see Koodo effect one of the bigger three though!
Userlevel 1
It would be good if Koodo did lower the price, especially since there isn't many places to get yo...yes indeedy. Mad props to Koodo.
Userlevel 5
It would be good if Koodo did lower the price, especially since there isn't many places to get yo...For sure I guess they've changed Telus a lot, they've almost got a tab system and few fees!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
It would be good if Koodo did lower the price, especially since there isn't many places to get yo...So with Telus if you get a phone on a 3 year so part of it goes on a tab kinda thing & then you pay off your tab does that end your 3 year contract also or just pay off the phone? Like no matter what your locked in for 3 years or as long as you pay it off you can leave?
Userlevel 5
It would be good if Koodo did lower the price, especially since there isn't many places to get yo...Yeah basically if you want to cancel you pay off the "tab" portion (they call it device balance) and if your term isn't up they charge $50 for the cancellation. So not exactly a tab but pretty close.
Userlevel 1
Well yes guys. All valid points. My intentions with the question was more about trying to figure out if Koodo would also lower prices, meaning that it would become a "thing" amongst major carriers... The eventual goal: it would force 3rd party unlockers to lower their prices, too. I feel that locking a phone is a jerk move as it is, and on top of that some 3rd party unlockers are still overcharging to the extent of daylight robbery just by offering prices a little below the carriers. Which will be good news overall in helping people who want to use whatever phone they like on the network they like, and making the cellphone industry here a little more pleasurable for users (rather than it being akin to passing razors through your bowels, as it was even as recently as 4yrs ago) #endrant
Userlevel 4
It should be free. Australia, where I went this summer, has free unlocking, just when asked... I wish that was the same here. I think it might get cheaper over time, like Australia. But who knows. Canada likes to have very expensive phone plans. Just because there are only a few large companies who have a monopoly over the market. The smaller the company, the cheaper the prices. Look at Wind, for example. So for now, I think unlocking fees are here for a while. I don't think any one company will want to start unless they all agree to do it together.
Userlevel 5
It should be free. Australia, where I went this summer, has free unlocking, just when asked... I ...While not saying I disagree when Koodo is selling the SII for $300 (a steal at that price really and we can assume they are probably losing money) if they unlocked it free they would be selling more of those phones for people to use on other carriers and they would loose even more money (again assuming they are losing money).
Userlevel 4
It should be free. Australia, where I went this summer, has free unlocking, just when asked... I ...another good point
Userlevel 1
It should be free. Australia, where I went this summer, has free unlocking, just when asked... I ...Oh for sure. I can totally understand carriers charging to unlock a phone. I take issue with the 3rd Party unlockers charging $30+ for an essentially $10 service just cos they only need to undercut the major carriers current $50 fee.
Userlevel 2
It should be free. Australia, where I went this summer, has free unlocking, just when asked... I ...Or how about the fact that if you change your plan over the phone you get hit with a $10-15 fee, but do it yourself on self serve for free. It's such a blatant cash grab, god forbid a customer service agent actually provides some customer assistance without it being tacked on as an "additional service".
Userlevel 6
It should be free. Australia, where I went this summer, has free unlocking, just when asked... I ...Don't ever start your own business matt. you'll be bankrupt in days.:-) I don't have an issue with charging for certain calls. Apple does that unless you buy apple care. It costs to pay someone to answer phones. Maybe they should go even further and give me a discount for not calling, I don't know say for six months. Or it's annual reward. Just a thought.
Userlevel 2
It should be free. Australia, where I went this summer, has free unlocking, just when asked... I ...What a cleverly condescending reply, however your retort is a little weak, in my opinion of course. Apple sells a manufactured good, while Koodo provides a perpetual service. They do not 'do' the same thing. Apple care is an extended/upgraded warranty program on a piece of hardware, comparing this action to the service that Koodo provides isn't really relevant , the scope of these two business' couldn't be further apart really. This fee is a cash grab through and through. How can you justify that a 5 minute call to switch plans should be accompanied by a $10 additional fee, yet other calls (questions about services/coverage area/technical questions/etc) carry no fee at all and can take considerable more time? The only way this makes any sense is if an absorbent amount of the total calls Koodo receives are requests to change plans, which surely isn't the case. All this does is subject current customers to additional charges that previously have always been free, with nothing given back in return, as their isn't any added value provided to customers who don't make this type of call. The notion that providing this type of essential service for free, could potentially "bankrupt" a service related company, is a little absurd. It's like going to a restaurant for dinner and being charged $10 to use the cutlery.
Userlevel 4
It should be free. Australia, where I went this summer, has free unlocking, just when asked... I ...Settle down folks.. this got off topic.
Userlevel 5
It should be free. Australia, where I went this summer, has free unlocking, just when asked... I ...I think the reason why Koodo put charges on these calls is because they don't want people to call Koodo's Customer Service for simple things like 'Changing my plan' because you can do that online. With less customers calling, they can answer calls from customers that actually need help, such as technical problems.