Koodo Community
Solved

Why was I charged activations fees?

• 2 January 2019
  • 7 replies

I bought 2 new phones for myself and my husband at WalMart yesterday and we were both charged $35 activation fees, so total $70. We are already customers and kept our phone numbers and plans, so why the activation fees?
icon

Best answer by Dennis 2 January 2019, 23:16

So it was because we were put back on tabs? This seems an excessive extra charge for buying a new phone. If we return the phones, do they reverse the activation fees?
Any transaction done in store now incurs a $35 connection fee. You can avoid this by making the transaction online

https://www.iphoneincanada.ca/carriers/telus/telus-connection-fee-35/
View original

This topic has been closed for comments

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Because Koodo charges 35 bucks to get a phone on tab or activate a new line in stores.
So it was because we were put back on tabs? This seems an excessive extra charge for buying a new phone. If we return the phones, do they reverse the activation fees?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I agree but that's their way of making money and getting people to buy online where they dont charge 35 bucks. Yes they will if you do and it's been less than 15 days.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Any transaction done in store now incurs a $35 connection fee. You can avoid this by making the transaction online

https://www.iphoneincanada.ca/carriers/telus/telus-connection-fee-35/
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Yep, it's a BS fee that has resulted out of regulation changes over the past few years that stopped carriers from (1) charging any cancellation fees other than outstanding tab balance if you cancel out of a contract early, and (2) locking devices to their network and charging you a fee for an unlock code. The CRTC took some revenue sources away, so the carriers compensated by re-introducing activation fees like they used to have many years ago.

Unfortunately in the Canadian mobile market, the old adage of "pay now or pay later--but you're going to pay" really does apply exceedingly well. They'll get you coming or going--both if they were allowed.
Thanks for the explanations all. I guess if that's the way it is, then I'll just have to accept it but I'm still not impressed. I've been with Koodo for many, many years and we bought the phones from WalMart because they had some good gift cards with it. I'll have to decide whether to keep the phones or go back to our older ones I guess... Thanks again!
Badge +4
Thanks for the explanations all. I guess if that's the way it is, then I'll just have to accept it but I'm still not impressed. I've been with Koodo for many, many years and we bought the phones from WalMart because they had some good gift cards with it. I'll have to decide whether to keep the phones or go back to our older ones I guess... Thanks again!
The gift cards from Walmart, Bestbuy,The Mobile Shop usually make up for the $35 activation fee that you have to pay. Yes, the fee is waived when done online but you also can't get the gift cards that way.

Don't agree with that fee at all.