Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Why didn't I receive a text to warn me that I was close to using all of my data?

I'm new to Koodo, I only joined in December 2014. Last billing cycle I was notified via text that I had reached 75% of my data usage towards the end of the cycle. Today I happened to check my usage on the self serve app and noticed that I have already gone over by 41MB, and I only have 1 day left in the billing cycle! I will be charged $5. I did NOT receive a text warning me that I was about to go over in this cycle. Aren't we supposed to get these texts warning us? If we don't get the text, can the charge be waived?

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
CRTC wireless code checklist for consumers: http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/info_sht/t15.htm The only obligatory notification mentioned on the page is the one regarding roaming in a foreign country. Data and roaming overages are capped. There may be some informal leniency policy during the initial bllling period as far as data is concerned, since most consumers don’t have a realistic idea of how much they really need. If you have an android phone, Settings => Data usage => Mobile data (turn ON) then Set mobile data limit (turn on). You can adjust warning and cut-off points individually. Turn your mobile data on or off according to your wishes. Since you are a new customer, give Koodo a call when your latest bill is ready. They may be willing to cut you some slack, if you would explain politely that you were expecting a similar text warning in future. Some useful links: http://koodomobile.com/en/on/datacalculator.shtml http://community.koodomobile.com/koodo/topics/data-and-how-to-make-the-most-of-it
Userlevel 6
I've been with koodo for quite some time and never missed a notification from them. They actually send you multiple texts. Are you sure you haven't received at least one of them. If you text a lot sometime they do get lost amongst all the other stuff.
Thank you for your replies. I double checked all of my messages just to be sure, and there wasn't one. I will give them a call to see what can be done and to confirm that I am to get texts from them in the future. It's just really disappointing because I switched to them for their reasonable prices, and I am super careful with my usage, so I was upset to see this added charge. I understand that it's not the required by law for them to notify me, but since they did for my first billing cycle, I though it was the norm. Thanks for the advice!
In case anyone wanted to know, I gave them a call and they waived the $5 fee. They said it's a one time thing and they will never be able to do it again. They were unsure why I didn't receive a text but said I should get them in the future. The woman on the phone wasn't very helpful though. I'm kind of disappointed with Koodo so far, if Telus didn't have such extreme prices I would've stayed. Thanks again for the advice though!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Rebecca Hrab wrote:

In case anyone wanted to know, I gave them a call and they waived the $5 fee. They said it's a on...

Thanks for the feedback.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Rebecca Hrab wrote:

In case anyone wanted to know, I gave them a call and they waived the $5 fee. They said it's a on...

On further investigation: Koodo DOES advertise data usage alerts on just about all plans. It's that little superscript 7 beside data in all the plan charts.