Koodo Community
Solved

Why am I getting data usage charges when my plan has no data and it is turned off on my phone.

• 4 October 2020
  • 20 replies

I specifically turned off data on my Samsung A20 phone and chose a no data plan, but I am still using data and getting charged $10 a month. 

Is there a way to stop my phone from using data so I don’t keep getting charged.

Thanks

icon

Best answer by nim4165 4 October 2020, 17:55

Per @Bernard Koodo previous response to a similar posting, koodo has a 250mb threshold below which they do not charge for data. You still have a data usage leak if you incur 269.7mb per month.  Research the web for ‘mobile data usage leaks’ or similar to find potential data usage leak culprits. Example: Check other settings, like ‘auto update’ the find and stop the data usage leak or ‘admit defeat against the greedy gods’ and buy the data block add-on. 

View original

20 replies

Userlevel 7

What do you mean by “..and its turned off on my phone”? What exactly is ‘turned off’?

Yes there is a way.

Turn off your ‘mobile data’ on your network settings, and

Disable ‘background processing’ on any data application (setting, data usage, apps)

Already done, but obviously that does not work as I am still using small bits of data. The total amount of data used last month was 0.2697. I am getting charged an extra $10 dollars for less than 1mb of data.

Thanks

Userlevel 7

Per @Bernard Koodo previous response to a similar posting, koodo has a 250mb threshold below which they do not charge for data. You still have a data usage leak if you incur 269.7mb per month.  Research the web for ‘mobile data usage leaks’ or similar to find potential data usage leak culprits. Example: Check other settings, like ‘auto update’ the find and stop the data usage leak or ‘admit defeat against the greedy gods’ and buy the data block add-on. 

Not 269mb per month, 0.2697mb, which is less than 1mb. This is according to my data usage when I log into my Koodo account.  So I am not sure what this threshold is but something is not right.

This month so far shows 0.0479. In contrast, I used 100.6781 MB in August before I got all the data settings tuned off.

Thanks

Userlevel 7

In that case see my 250mb threshold comment above and use it to receive refund for the $10/month charges. Good Luck!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

It’s actually 250kb… which really is peanuts. Data leaks happen easily!

Userlevel 7

My bad. @Sophia is correct (I checked to original statement).

Yes, I am on the phone now with Koodo and they advised me it is 250kb. Thanks for the update though. I am getting them to apply that to my account and remove the $10.

Cheers

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

The Mobile Masters lobbied for the threshold to be a lot larger than that (say, 5MB which covers a lot of leaking) but alas… that didn’t happen.

@creeve Koodo offers a $3 data block that makes sure you’ll never get overage bills… or you could consider prepaid (which will never charge overages for anything including data). There are drawbacks to that though, such as no Tab. What plan do you currently have? 

I have the $35 dollar unlimited talk and text and a small tab. My previous plan was 200 minutes and unlimited text and 50mb data which was perfect for me, but I couldn’t get that with the new phone. If I were to pay $3 dollars though, I would just pay the extra $7 and get 1 or 2 gigs of data - or whatever you get for $10 dollars.

Thanks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Right, so if you’re not attached to the Tab, you could consider Koodo or Public Mobile prepaid. The $15 plan has 100 minutes (plus unlimited incoming and 250MB data on Public), the $25 plan has unlimited calling and some data in both cases.

Except for the tab, roaming etc you’d basically get what you have now for a lot less money… just an option for you to consider.

Hi,  I just got charged $10.  for data overage when the data was turned off on my A20.  I looked at this  conversation before I called them, as the $10.00 charge was attached to a Jan 7th amount of .0156 MB.  I got a call back, and the person was no help, and would not reverse the charge.  Said we had used 150 MB.  As I was arguing I saw the total at the bottom of the page said .253 MB.  So then I realized the $10. was for the full month, not the one day.  I told him to look at it and he retracted the comment of 150 MB usage. He wanted me to add the $3. no data feature.  That is a rip off.  When I asked regarding the 250 KB limit, he said there is no such thing as a 250KB limit.  When I looked at my December bill it was under 250 KB and there was no charge.  He said he would have to go in and charge me for December.  Would not listen when I referred him to the community.  Kept asking me if this 250 KB limit was in the agreement. I told him to go take some classes on customer service, as he was not willing to verify anything, or be of any help.   I will pay the $10. and look at the background processes to try to fix this.  However, when my tab is paid, I will not deal with KOODO again.   So customer beware.  Thanks for listening.

Badge +4

@sdracup Seems there’s some sort of disconnect between what is known (250 kb limit) and what the rep was saying. The phone exceeded the 250 kb threshold by a minuscule 3 kb of data. I think the rep could have exercised some leniency. The $3 data block will prevent data leakage from occurring and will still allow you to send/receive MMS picture messages that require data.

$10 bucks is $10 bucks. Send a private message to Koodo via Facebook Messenger or a direct message via Twitter explaining your situation and see if the $10 charge can be reversed. (You could use part of that $10 to pay for the data block). No guarantees, but worth a shot!

https://www.facebook.com/Koodo or https://twitter.com/koodo

My situation is the same - usage for no apparent reason.  To get this data block turned on for $3.-- would be fine, BUT it should not be a monthly charge being they are not doing anything each month.  It is a switch that is set once.  It is a money grab!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You mentioned that “ I saw the total at the bottom of the page said .253 MB.  So then I realized the $10. was for the full month, not the one day. “
 Once you went over 250 in, then $10 charge kicks in and you can use it up to 100 mb. 

What was your total data usage on that cycle? The rep mentioned you used 150mb?  If so, the charge doesn’t add up and don’t make sense. 
Can you post your data usage/ charge on your bill without personal info?

Or you can contact them through FB or Twitter as Rikkster suggested and they can take a look of your account.

Thanks for responding.  I will try Facebook as I am not on Twitter.  Here is data for the billing period.  There is no 150 MB.

Badge +4

@sdracup 

Thanks for responding.  I will try Facebook as I am not on Twitter.  Here is data for the billing period.  There is no 150 MB.

@sdracup unfortunately, the document you just posted is impossible to read, can you try another method?

Sorry about that.  Hope this is better

Badge +4

Sorry about that.  Hope this is better

Thank you, much better! The numbers speak for themselves. The fact that these data values are extremely small in size suggests data leakage and not deliberate data usage. In that case, I think the $10 charge should be waived. Keep us posted and let us know the outcome.

I would like to thank you for all your help.  I contacted via Facebook, and Koodo has agreed to reverse the $10.00  charge.  As stated by the contact, “phones often connect to mobile data without the owner’s consent, for automatic processes such as apps updates or even software updates.”