Koodo Community
Solved

Why am I getting data usage charges when my plan has no data and it is turned off on my phone.

I specifically turned off data on my Samsung A20 phone and chose a no data plan, but I am still using data and getting charged $10 a month. 

Is there a way to stop my phone from using data so I don’t keep getting charged.

Thanks

icon

Best answer by nim4165 4 October 2020, 17:55

Per @Bernard Koodo previous response to a similar posting, koodo has a 250mb threshold below which they do not charge for data. You still have a data usage leak if you incur 269.7mb per month.  Research the web for ‘mobile data usage leaks’ or similar to find potential data usage leak culprits. Example: Check other settings, like ‘auto update’ the find and stop the data usage leak or ‘admit defeat against the greedy gods’ and buy the data block add-on. 

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 7

What do you mean by “..and its turned off on my phone”? What exactly is ‘turned off’?

Yes there is a way.

Turn off your ‘mobile data’ on your network settings, and

Disable ‘background processing’ on any data application (setting, data usage, apps)

Already done, but obviously that does not work as I am still using small bits of data. The total amount of data used last month was 0.2697. I am getting charged an extra $10 dollars for less than 1mb of data.

Thanks

Userlevel 7

Per @Bernard Koodo previous response to a similar posting, koodo has a 250mb threshold below which they do not charge for data. You still have a data usage leak if you incur 269.7mb per month.  Research the web for ‘mobile data usage leaks’ or similar to find potential data usage leak culprits. Example: Check other settings, like ‘auto update’ the find and stop the data usage leak or ‘admit defeat against the greedy gods’ and buy the data block add-on. 

Not 269mb per month, 0.2697mb, which is less than 1mb. This is according to my data usage when I log into my Koodo account.  So I am not sure what this threshold is but something is not right.

This month so far shows 0.0479. In contrast, I used 100.6781 MB in August before I got all the data settings tuned off.

Thanks

Userlevel 7

In that case see my 250mb threshold comment above and use it to receive refund for the $10/month charges. Good Luck!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

It’s actually 250kb… which really is peanuts. Data leaks happen easily!

Userlevel 7

My bad. @Sophia is correct (I checked to original statement).

Yes, I am on the phone now with Koodo and they advised me it is 250kb. Thanks for the update though. I am getting them to apply that to my account and remove the $10.

Cheers

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

The Mobile Masters lobbied for the threshold to be a lot larger than that (say, 5MB which covers a lot of leaking) but alas… that didn’t happen.

@creeve Koodo offers a $3 data block that makes sure you’ll never get overage bills… or you could consider prepaid (which will never charge overages for anything including data). There are drawbacks to that though, such as no Tab. What plan do you currently have? 

I have the $35 dollar unlimited talk and text and a small tab. My previous plan was 200 minutes and unlimited text and 50mb data which was perfect for me, but I couldn’t get that with the new phone. If I were to pay $3 dollars though, I would just pay the extra $7 and get 1 or 2 gigs of data - or whatever you get for $10 dollars.

Thanks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Right, so if you’re not attached to the Tab, you could consider Koodo or Public Mobile prepaid. The $15 plan has 100 minutes (plus unlimited incoming and 250MB data on Public), the $25 plan has unlimited calling and some data in both cases.

Except for the tab, roaming etc you’d basically get what you have now for a lot less money… just an option for you to consider.