Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Why am I being charged for picture messaging

I bought my mom the Moto G google phone. She had an old school phone before that and sending and receiving picture messages was no problem. When getting the new phone I ensured that her plan which included unlimited text and picture messaging would still be honoured and was told it will be. I understand that the new 4G phones use data for pictures now but if the plan states unlimited picture messaging shouldn't this somehow be accommodated? The teller at the Koodo desk said that Koodo's network can distinguish between picture messaging and internet data usage. Within 4 days of getting my mom the new phone she got a text from Koodo saying she has already used $10 worth of data. I went to her phone settings and saw that there is 3 MB of data used for picture messaging so why are we getting charged for it… I e-mailed koodo 3 days ago and haven't heard anything back. I'm a very busy student and do not have time to call and argue for an hour on the phone.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
it's possible that the phone automatically updated apps in the background when data was on. I recommend setting up apps so they update on wifi only.
First Off - Great idea for the Moto G, for its price, and specs, its a reasonable device that can perform lots of high end task! Second > As soon as a picture message is sent or received on an android device, it connects to a *DATA* network to transport that data to a second device. This feature is auto enabled and can be disabled. Messaging > Settings > Tick Auto Retrieve for MMS This now allows the user to manually get the message. Now I suggest that when she is to manually receive picture messages that she be connected to wifi. Just in case the phone wants to refresh its data. *On a side note, looking at the updated koodo plans, have you considered the 29$ 200minutes + unlimited texting. An 5$ charge could be applied for 50mb. This would allow her to still have access to data but maintain a stable monthly bill! Hope this Helps Hayden
Badge +4
haydenataylor wrote:

First Off - Great idea for the Moto G, for its price, and specs, its a reasonable device that can...

To clarify, the MMS settings are located within the Messaging app itself. MMS messages (picture messages) require mobile data. When the auto retrieve function is enabled, it allows you to receive MMS messages as they arrive without any user input. When auto-retrieve is disabled, a message appears on-screen, prompting the user to download the picture file. Either way, data must be enabled in order to send or receive an MMS message. If you're on a limited data plan, I would recommend disabling MMS auto-retrieve so that you don't incur data overage charges. If you find you're sending and receiving a lot of MMS messages, you may want to upgrade to a plan that offers either 150 MB or 500 MB of data. While MMS messages are advertised as 'unlimited', the data used to send MMS messages, particularly if you're on a limited data plan, is not unlimited and you could wind up being charged for data overages. There are a few third-party apps that can send MMS messages over Wi-Fi and there was a workaround for older Samsung devices that would allow one to send MMS messages without data. Nothing for the Moto G that I'm aware of as of yet. GO SMS Pro - read the description and reviews first. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jb.gosms
haydenataylor wrote:

First Off - Great idea for the Moto G, for its price, and specs, its a reasonable device that can...

Thank You for expanding! I Appreciate it! Hayden
Badge +4
haydenataylor wrote:

You're welcome, Hayden.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Look at the rest of the data usage. I guarantee that data was also used by something other than picture messaging.
Userlevel 1
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

Look at the rest of the data usage. I guarantee that data was also used by something other than ...

The data started as soon as she set up her mother's gmail and Motorola accounts followed by all the Apps upgrades, just to get the phone up and running.
Userlevel 4
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

Look at the rest of the data usage. I guarantee that data was also used by something other than ...

Which is why Timo said what he said.
Userlevel 1
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

I understand, why Timo wrote what he wrote Zaphod. But since Michael Blunt seemed perplexed that data was/is being used, I wrote some specific examples, for Michael Blunt.
Userlevel 2
All plans include MMS, so it is unlikely you're being charged for MMS. However, other apps on the Moto G are using data in the background resulting in the extra data charge you are seeing. Find the offending app(s) that are using background data and disable them.