Koodo Community
Question

Why airtime charges for toll free (minutes remaining)?

I have 500 anytime minutes, but on my first bill I was charged airtime only for an 800 and an 866 number. I understand that on my first bill my minutes are prorated, but I made calls before and AFTER these calls that weren’t charged airtime. This would lead me to believe that I had minutes left and that it was something to due with these toll free numbers that resulted in the airtime charges. Any ideas?

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
It will use your minutes when you call toll free number.
Toll free number means that you don’t get long distance charge.

Im a little confused that you actually got charged or minutes were deducted?
I understand that toll free still uses minutes, but if I have minutes left, why would I be charged on those particular calls? I made calls after that we’re not charged airtime, indicating that I still had minutes remaining.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Well I guess so then yes. Must have been those particular numbers. A small amount of numbers aren't covered in the included calls. It probably was one of them.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Maybe it's not a toll free number. What's the number?
800-667-0123
866-907-4316
Well I guess so then yes. Must have been those particular numbers. A small amount of numbers aren't covered in the included calls. It probably was one of them.

They are not international, so then they would be covered by 500 Canada-wide minutes anyways
Maybe it's not a toll free number. What's the number?

800-667-0123
866-907-4316
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
IIR, all toll-free numbers are considered a US destination for calling purposes, even if the recipient is located in Canada.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Maybe it's not a toll free number. What's the number?800-667-0123
866-907-4316

Are these Bell numbers?

As far as I know, "Toll-free" is applied to landline only.If you call these numbers using your cell, your airtime will be deducted as normal calls to a local number.

This link might help (from US FCC) https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/what-toll-free-number-and-how-does-it-work
"Wireless callers, however, will be charged for the airtime minutes used during a toll-free call unless they have an “unlimited calling” plan."
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
From what I understand, OP is saying that they were charged airtime for the 1800 calls, even though they had minutes remaining since the called right after resulted in no airtime charges.

If you can provide a screenshot of your detailed pdf ebill for these line items I think we would have a better idea of what is going on.