Koodo Community

Community

When suspending a phone on your account

Continued plan charges having reported a phone stolen. So about 225 dollars have been charged to my card since my phone was reported stolen. Wasn't clear to me that I would continue to be charged my rate plan during suspension. Noticed charges on my credit card statement and customer service won't do anything​ about the incurred charges. I'm extremely disappointed in koodo. If it was enough money to be going to a lawyer over I would... But sadly that's a huge waste of time and money all I have is social media to let people know how koodo conducts business. They make anything involving payment changes as vague as possible and as difficult as possible to ensure they squeeze every last penny out of you that they can before you move on. I feel like if you suspend a phone your rate plan should also be suspended... Or you should have the option to cancel. This is really shady.

21 replies

Userlevel 6
What are you saying? You reported your phone stolen, and you are still getting charged your monthly plan/tab?

If so, that's normal. Unless your cancel your service, you will still pay for said service.

Also, if you purchased a your phone on a tab, you will still have to pay it off, regardless of whether you sold/lost/had it stolen.
It's unfortunate to have your phone stolen, but it's not Koodo's fault, or their problem. All they can/will do is blacklist your IMEI and be put a block on your account if you ask. Unless you cancel your service, you will still pay for it. Every carrier is the same in that regard. For example, if you are leasing a new car and it gets stolen, you still have to pay the monthly lease charge. The dealer doesn't give you it free because someone stole it. Have you actually contacted Koodo? They may be able to do something for you, but they aren't required to. 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Reporting your phone stolen prevents the thief from using the device. Did u want to cancel your line?
No I paid off the tab already. I was being charged the rate plan. Wasn't looking for free stuff as you are implying. I was simply looking to not pay for a service I obviously was not using.

I did call and they chose to not help with that. Outside of just cancelling the account.

I'm irked because koodo ended up doing more damage than the jerk who stole my phone.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Bobby Long wrote:

No I paid off the tab already. I was being charged the rate plan. Wasn't looking for free stuff a...

If you want to not pay anything, you need to let koodo know you want to cancel you account. Otherwise there is no way to keep your account for free
Bobby Long wrote:

No I paid off the tab already. I was being charged the rate plan. Wasn't looking for free stuff a...

Yes I know this now... before I even posted. I had no intention of keeping the account. And its irrelevant if other providers behave this way it's not like I've had many phones lost or stolen. But of course I've gone through the channels and koodo won't help in this regard but I still blame them regardless of how much you volunteers try to suggest I am or was trying to get something out of koodo. I just feel like I was stolen from and gaslighting the conversation by saying that I'm trying to get something for free doesn't help anyone except trying to have koodo save face in what I believe to be an oversight in policy. I've wasted enough time on this today. Hopefully other people who might read this learn to be diligent about this stuff if their phone is reported stolen in the future.
Userlevel 6
Bobby Long wrote:

We aren't suggesting that you are trying to scam something free, just explaining that as long as your account is active (read: not cancelled), you will be charged your monthly fee.
Bobby Long wrote:

I'm in the exactly same position right now. I wondered why my bill was so high, then realized that I have been paying for a sevice that I truly thought was suspended. Suspended to me must mean something different. And the tab fee I expect to pay for. I've been paying for a service that I haven't used since Christmas. So disappointed, upset, angry. I mean I'm a mom and a student and can't afford this. I want to switch my carrier-know any good ones?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Bobby Long wrote:

Reporting your phone lost/suspend does the same thing at all the other carriers.
Bobby Long wrote:

I've never had a lost phone before. Upon suspension I should have been notified that I would still be paying for service. Not cool
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Bobby Long wrote:

You mean like here https://www.koodomobile.com/help/reporting-your-lost-or-stolen-phone Or when it said it on your bill Every month since you suspended your phone.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Bobby Long wrote:

You suspend the phone (actually the SIM) so others can't use it, running up your bill. In today's world, most folks would get a replacement phone in pretty short order, and keeping their phone number is important to them, thus, cancelling the plan upon loss of a phone would be rare.

Your January and February bills would have been clear that your plan was not cancelled. 
Bobby Long wrote:

I was paying for 2 phones and the bill. I was paying large payments at a time and was not looking at the bill. I was paying large amounts because I was trying to pay the phones off. No one so far has even said sorry for the confusion. All I've gotten is that it's all my fault. It's not actually. Considering that calling koodo results in a fee, I don't want to call even now. For a multi million dollar company customer service is not a priority
Bobby Long wrote:

@Marija calling Koodo only results in a fee if you get them to do something that you could have done yourself through self serve. In this case there will be no fee since you are just calling to dispute a charge. Contact links below including facebook/Twitter links if you would rather just send a message. Good Luck.

https://www.koodomobile.com/contact-us?INTCMP=KMNew_FooterLINK_ContactUs_ContactUs
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Bobby Long wrote:

Koodo only charges a fee for asking a CSR to complete tasks for you which you could have done in Self-serve. Since you can't cancel your plan in Self-serve, there is no charge. There is also no charge for asking for clarification of your bill.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Bobby Long wrote:

I'm sorry.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Bobby Long wrote:

@Marija, this is what customers see when suspending the phone online:

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
@Bobby, just so I understand the situation.....you reported you phone lost/stolen and thought that equals cancelling the service? It simply suspends the service as people either find or buy a phone and don't want to lose their number or plans. What name is your account under? Happy to look at the notes and share it here (minus any specifics re personal). How does that sound? 
Bernard wrote:

@Bobby, just so I understand the situation.....you reported you phone lost/stolen and thou...

Are you still there?
Marija Obrovac
Marija Obrovac
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Marija Obrovac wrote:

Marija Obrovac

@Marija,
The forum is not a live chat,
Is there anything that you need helps with? you could post it here. Someone might have the answer.