Koodo Community

Community

Solved

what is a government recovery fee?

What is a Government recovery fee and why so I have to pay it?

46 replies

Userlevel 7
Koodo doesn't have that fee. In fact I don't think any of the carriers do anymore. They usually just include it in the price of your plan. Rogers used to charge that fee a few years ago.

Now if you're referring to a 911 fee, that is applicable to a few provinces and it would show on your customer service agreement. Where do you live?
Userlevel 1
I just got charged a Government Recovery Fee of 44¢ on my April 1 bill... If it is included in the price of my plan, then why am I paying it on top of my plan?
Badge +4
nalorin wrote:

I just got charged a Government Recovery Fee of 44¢ on my April 1 bill... If it is included in th...

Are you sure it's not the government 911 service fee? At one time, the recovery fee was called the system access fee. Telus removed the system access fee back in October 2009. http://help.koodomobile.com/plans-add-ons-data-and-other-services/e911/what-is-the-government-911-service-fee
I'm not sure what the fee is actually for, but my bill said "Government Recovery Fee" $0.88 (2 phones on the plan). This tax has not been on any of my bills over about a 2 year period, but suddenly shows up on my April bill. Can someone tell us what this money grab actually is all about? PS - One of the main reasons I moved to Koodo in the first place, was that the bill was straight forward and ALL INCLUSIVE. I hated being nickled and dimed to death over and over by the other guys. Maybe it's time to start looking around once again?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Larry C wrote:

I'm not sure what the fee is actually for, but my bill said "Government Recovery Fee" $0.88 (2 ph...

There is no such charge on my bill (I'm in Ontario). I'd therefore assume that it's an Alberta thing. And if so, I don't think you'll find a carrier that won't have it.
Userlevel 7
This fee sounds like the 911 fee in certain provinces like Nova Scotia if you have a number from there. Did any of you move recently or have a phone # from one of the provinces that charge this fee? If not, then call customer service to see what the issue is. There's only so much we can do here to help.
Thanks Jonathan....I am in Alberta and have not moved recently. It just seems to me that if a new charge is being added to the existing customers bills, then perhaps an explanation of that charge should be included right on the bill itself? Why rile up a bunch of customers with a new fee, and not explain to them why they are suddenly being charged this tax, er fee, in the first place? For a company that prides itself on being upfront and caring of all it's customers, this is the exact opposite way of handling the situation.
Userlevel 7
Larry C wrote:

Thanks Jonathan....I am in Alberta and have not moved recently. It just seems to me that if a ne...

I don't know what fee you're talking about since you're the first person with an Alberta # I've seen complaining about some type of fee. You should call them and ask what it is.
Larry C wrote:

Thanks Jonathan....I am in Alberta and have not moved recently. It just seems to me that if a ne...

I called customer service as you suggested Jonathan. They have no idea what the "fee" is for. They told me that my call was the first they have heard of it and that it's some sort of Federal tax. They basically had to google it to find out anything, and they still could not tell me why it was on my bill or what the purpose of the fee was for. Just my opinion here but if a company can quickly add a new fee to a bill, they need to find out what the fee is for and let their clients know as much as possible what's going on. They should certainly make sure that their customer service agents know what it is so that they can address the question properly when someone like me phones about it.
Userlevel 5
As of April 1st there is now a manditory 0.44 cent fee on all wireless devices that can call 911 for Albertians. http://www.aema.alberta.ca/911.cfm This will should also be mentioned on the right side of your March bill. Here's a screenshot of my notice.

Userlevel 6
Jorden wrote:

As of April 1st there is now a manditory 0.44 cent fee on all wireless devices that can call 911 ...

Hi Jorden, sorry about the duplicate post 😉 You were -a lot- faster than me on this one! Thank you for your help, it's greatly appreciated!
Userlevel 5
Jorden wrote:

As of April 1st there is now a manditory 0.44 cent fee on all wireless devices that can call 911 ...

No problem it's all good Yanick. It never hurts to have the official response either!
Userlevel 6
Hi there, as of April 1st 2014, Alberta customers are required to pay an additional monthly 911 fee of 44¢, called "911 Government (Cost Recovery) Fee". This is a fee legislated by the governments of AB, SK, PQ, NB, NS and PEI to help support the cost of providing 911 service. This government fee is separate from the 911 access fees that many wireless providers currently charge (we don't). The amount of the tax is regulated in each province and the funds collected are used to fund local 911 services. Our customers have been notified about this new fee on the first page of their March bill but you can also find our more info on this link: http://koo.do/OE17nc. @Larry C: We'll make sure to send a reminder to our reps so they can answer similar inquiries! Thank you for letting us know! ________________________ If you see a good answer, give it a star.
Yannick wrote:

Hi there, as of April 1st 2014, Alberta customers are required to pay an additional monthly 911 f...

Why weren't we told about this? I'm not a fan of a surprise increase in my bill. I don't check over my bill unless it's more than it should be. I just log in and pay - I'm probably not the only one. An email or letter would have been nice!
Userlevel 4
Yannick wrote:

Hi there, as of April 1st 2014, Alberta customers are required to pay an additional monthly 911 f...

How about printed on your March bill? Look at the first page of the March bill. Usually, any notices will be there on the right side.
Yannick wrote:

Read my full comment - unless my bill is an odd amount (like this month) I don't check it over. I have a feeling I'm not in the minority here. I get my email saying the new bill it out, it's $x.xx due by whatever date. I log in, pay it and carry on. I feel this is something Koodo could have spread the word about better, that's all. I have gone and looked at my March bill, and yes it is there, but better notice would be appreciated.
Userlevel 6
Yannick wrote:

[i]unless my bill is an odd amount (like this month) I don't check it over And there lies the problem. You deliberately choose not to read the bill Koodo sends you every month, they can't force you to read it. It therefore becomes your choice to not be informed about changes to your bill.
Userlevel 4
Yannick wrote:

David, I could not have said it better.
Yannick wrote:

They don't actually "send" me a bill. I have to log in and find it. If it actually was emailed to me, I would open the attachment and read it. If it came in the mail, I would read it. I'm just too busy to hunt down the link every time to look it over. I really don't think I'm alone in this. Do you read your bill from start to finish every month?
Userlevel 6
Yannick wrote:

Stating the obvious is sometimes all that's needed Tyler 😉
Userlevel 5
Yannick wrote:

That's just the thing though, they already told everyone about it on the bill. But for the sake of sending out other notices... Lets say between printing and mail costs today a letter would cost somewhere around 0.75 cents to 1.00 per customer which doesn't make sense. While they could probably send an email, I'm sure their system isn't set up to filter emails by province (and this only effects Alberta at this specific point), also they likely don't have email addresses for all Albertians. They could probably send a text to everyone with a 403, 780, or 587 but again not everyone reads their texts, and this is assuming the system is able to send out blanket messages this way. Koodo could call, but lets be honest many people wouldn't answer, plus the costs to make these calls. In the end it's the government charging this fee, and they could have done a better job mentioning it, I read online somewhere around 6 months ago it was coming, but Koodo did make sure everyone was notified, even if some chose not to read the notification.
Userlevel 4
Yannick wrote:

This is not a matter of what [b]WE do. Honestly, I don't see why you would have to "hunt down" anything. The link is a matter of logging in and within the Overview, there is a link that says "View Bill"...Click that then select the date of the bill. A box may pop up to prompt you to save the bill or open it. Click "Open" and there you have it. The first page of the bill where the notification should be. Regardless, Koodo sent out the notification before it happened. It is not the fault of the company if customers don't look at thier bill.
Yannick wrote:

I'm not appreciating how you seem to be talking down to me, Zaphod and David. It is a bit of a hunt for the link, whether you think it or not. It's an extra step I don't always have time for (but of course, you clearly are not as busy as some of us...). Definitely not as simple as opening an attachment in an email. I do understand that I missed the notification and that is my fault - BUT I really do think Koodo could have done a better job making this more well known. That's all.
Userlevel 6
Yannick wrote:

We'll simply have to agree to disagree then.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Yannick wrote:

Type koodomobile.com into the address bar of your browser. Click self serve at the top of the page. Sign in. Click 'view bill' right on the first page you see. If that's a hunt then so is finding the new emails in your inbox.