Koodo Community
Solved

What if new sim card is needed?

• 24 January 2019
  • 7 replies

My son has an older (3 year) basic smartphone on a pre-paid plan with Koodo. I'm buying an Iphone7 for him. Koodo rep told me that the sim card my son is currently using, may not fit into Iphone7.

It if proves that new sim card needs to be ordered:
  1. Can it be done at a booth? If so, is there a charge, like a connection charge...
  2. If new sim card must be ordered online, how long will it take to arrive to a Mississauga address?
icon

Best answer by Allan M 24 January 2019, 21:44

A new sim would have to be picked up in store and would cost $20.
View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Check your current sim and make sure it is/isnt a tri cut sim that may/may not fit your iphone 7
Well, I promised him the Iphone7, so I'll buy it. And if the sim card needs to be ordered, I will have to do that. I just wanted to know what it means.

Does this mean that I can just walk to a booth and get it done right away, or do I need to order and wait until it's shipped to the booth?

Thanks for your prompt responses.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hey Jace, you buying the phone from Koodo or 2nd hand? Keep in mind that ordering a SIM card might take a while but you could just go at the booth, yeah.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
@Robert,
Prepaid SIM cards are not available online, so would need to be purchased at a kiosk, if it is not able to be punched out to the nano size.
Userlevel 4
Yes JacekN you can just walk ino a Koodo booth and get it done right away. They have SIM cards on hand.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
The executive summary from someone who has actually done it several times: older regular SIM cards that are too big might be cut down to the size needed for the iPhone, but might be too thick. That's the last option I would pick. If your SIM looks like the one in the link down below, you are home free. Just punch out to the smallest size. No further action required oither than installing it into the phone.

Otherwise, buy a new SIM at a Koodo booth, or order online from ebay.ca. You will then have to go into son's self-serve account on-line and change the active SIM serial number to the new one you just bought. The booth will not be able to do this... it's strictly self-serve. You will also not be eligible for any $$ airtime bonus since you are buying for an existing account. Once the phone is working, you can toss the old SIM into the trash... it can't be reused. Dem's the breaks.

Link for an online order and picture of the tri-cut SIM: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Koodo-Multi-Sim-Card-Nano-Micro-Regular-15-AIR-TIME-CREDIT-included/182949740516?hash=item2a98a77fe4:g:P4EAAOSwU91aX7Nh:rk:1:pf:0

My SIM arrived in rural Quebec within 4 days. That outfit is in the GTA, so you should get it within a day or 2.