Koodo Community
Question

What happens if I don't have International Roaming?

• 29 November 2012
  • 9 replies

If I'm in the USA and don't have the add-on described in Koodo's Travelling section: "Under ‘Add-ons’, you’ll also need to add International Voice Roaming. This is a $0 add-on and will enable you to receive calls and texts while travelling abroad." What happens while I'm abroad and: 1) A person calls me? (Do they get an out of service message or does it forward to voicemail immediately?) 2) A person texts me? (error or does it go into oblivion without any notice) The reason I ask is I want to bring my Android abroad to use on Wi-Fi as a computer but don't want to receive incoming texts as they are $0.60 each. There is no option to disable roaming SMS auto-retrieve on my Nexus S. And I would still like calls to forward to Voicemail (I have my voice messages going to a non-Koodo voicemail number for transcription). Possible?

This topic has been closed for comments

9 replies

Userlevel 1
For USA Koodo offers USA talk/Text roaming 3/30 Days addon you can add before traveling to USA. Does not offer Overseas Talk/Text/Data roaming addon, but you can use phone in most of countries, roaming charges will be charged on your bill
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
For USA Koodo offers USA talk/Text roaming 3/30 Days addon you can add before traveling to USA. ...This doesn't answer his questions Mat.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Here's what to do. Turn on AIRPLANE mode and then Turn on WIFI. This will keep the cellular radio off while allowing you to only use WIFI. If someone does text you, you'll get the text when you turn AIRPLANE mode off upon returning to Canada. but they will not know you did not get it right away. As far as voicemail as long as you've set the voicemail forward before you turn on AIRPLANE mode the voicemails should still forward immediately to your predetermined voicemail. The Calls you do get should drop right to voicemail. Best to test this before you go. Turn on AIRPLANE mode, Turn on WIFI and connect to a WIFI network. then call your phone from another phone and check to be sure it goes to voicemail. Your phone will stay in AIRPLANE mode until you take it out of AIRPLANE mode. You should be good to go. I do this with my Unlocked Optimus One which I use in the USA on another carrier. When I'm in Canada it goes on AIRPLANE mode and the WiFi is on. Voicemails are handled by Google Voice and forwarded via E-Mail
Thanks Chad, I have a similar setup with Google Voice. Ok, so your answer works but that is assuming you have the International Voice Roaming add-on, correct? To avoid receiving roaming texts altogether I'm wondering if disabling that add-on would do it, and then while roaming would my calls still get forwarded to voicemail or would I get an "out of service"?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Thanks Chad, I have a similar setup with Google Voice. Ok, so your answer works but that is a...No, As I mentioned I use the Optimus with another carrier in the USA. I'm a trucker so when I hit the border I swap sims to my USA Carrier. The only way to avoid getting the texts is the method I described Airplane mode and as I mentioned your callers will be directed to your voice mail immediately. They will not get an OOS message BTW if you're forwarding CDN calls to your USA GV number you'll get hit with extra charges for making an international call. >< . >< Learned that one the hard way. .45 Cents per minute
Thanks Chad, I have a similar setup with Google Voice. Ok, so your answer works but that is a...Thanks for the GV tip, I use Twilio to forward to US # which forwards to a CDN #. It works, but I have to pay Twilio $2/mo. Off topic, but what carrier & plan (monthly or PAYG) do you use in the States, and can you signup without a US address? I plan on going to the US quite a bit next year.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Thanks Chad, I have a similar setup with Google Voice. Ok, so your answer works but that is a...Out of respect to El. Tabador I won't discuss that here but you're welcome to private message me on Facebook and I'll be happy to discuss it with you there.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
An even easier fix is to remove your koodo sim card while you are abroad.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
An even easier fix is to remove your koodo sim card while you are abroad.Only issue i have with that is, It is easier to actually loose your simcard if you drop your phone and have it sitting in the battery door. or misplace the sim. Frustrating once you're back in Canada to find it.