Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Using 'free/included' picture messaging


I have had the following problem several times now, Lets say I want to send a picture message, to do so I need to temporarily turn on data. The issue is that as hard as I try to stop them, there will always be some background apps sending/receiving data. The end result is that I'm getting charged $5 extra for around 200kb of data usage, just because I'm trying to use the 'included' picture messaging feature in my plan. $5 for 200kb of accidental data usage is ridiculous, can i get it taken off my bill and prevent it from happening every time I want to send a picture message? Thanks

26 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Depending on the phone this might work: http://community.koodomobile.com/koodo/topics/change_apn_to_disable_internet_while_enabling_mms_on_samsung_ace_2
Userlevel 6
I have lots of apps on my phone but I have no problem turning them off when I want to avoid data seeping through. What apps are causing you the problem?
Userlevel 2
Have Wifi on while mobile data is on to minimize data usage.
My usage stats say most of it is from "Google services" And I'm not always in a place with wi-fi
Userlevel 7
Try a firewall like Mowal. Use it to restrict everything but the messaging app to wifi only
Userlevel 5
Chad, that doesn't really address the underlying problem: that Koodo advertizes free picture messaging but using this feature on a talk and text plan, will inevitably result in a $5 charge even if only one picture message is sent.
Userlevel 2
Elinor wrote:

Chad, that doesn't really address the underlying problem: that Koodo advertizes free picture mess...

Sigh...it's because of data usage from other applications, NOT the picture itself.
Userlevel 7
Elinor wrote:

Chad, that doesn't really address the underlying problem: that Koodo advertizes free picture mess...

Actually it probably would address the issue since rhe the only apps allowed to use data is the messaging app
Userlevel 5
Elinor wrote:

Chad, that doesn't really address the underlying problem: that Koodo advertizes free picture mess...

Exactly. But this is as clear as mud to most end users. It is unreasonable to expect customers to shut down all their apps before picture messaging, or to use only wifi (where picture messaging is always free) or to have to download a special firewall app to avoid an arbitrary, essentially hidden, charge.
Userlevel 3
Elinor wrote:

Chad, that doesn't really address the underlying problem: that Koodo advertizes free picture mess...

I can't stress it enough to prevent such instances I suggested an idea for Koodo to stop advtertising unlimited MMS with talk/text price plans.
I have this problem too!!! So ANNOYING! Does koodo not understand that a regular person doesn't know how to set up a firewall on their phone?? This is an inevitable problem!!
Userlevel 1
Mark wrote:

I have this problem too!!! So ANNOYING! Does koodo not understand that a regular person doesn't k...

Hold on there! The question should be" does Koodo not realize Google Phones are Top Loaded with Google's battery sucking, Data Consuming Apps"? For no other reason than the phone being on? And therefore ADJUST the Plan and Plan Rates, to accommodate this fact.
Userlevel 6
Mark wrote:

I have this problem too!!! So ANNOYING! Does koodo not understand that a regular person doesn't k...

What are those apps? They would have to be open first consume data, no? If yes then may be it reasonable to expect that people should turn them off. People know to turn off the lights if they want to stop consuming electricity. Isn't this similar to that?
Userlevel 1
Mark wrote:

I have this problem too!!! So ANNOYING! Does koodo not understand that a regular person doesn't k...

I understand what your saying Chris. At the same time, I'm having dinner at Mac Donalds and my s2x wants to Update 19 Google Apps. That's 19 Apps communicating with the phone, for how many days? As for turning Google Apps OFF? Why not, just, stop selling phones with Google Apps installed? Google is always announcing and bragging how much their apps are inter woven. Turn off GPS, no maps, no location, no weather.....so on and so on. So now GPS is off and then the none Google apps that demand location, don't work. Then its time to charged the battery again...lol
Also this isn't answered! What do I tell koodo to get this taken off my bill? No one said anything about that part of his question yet
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Mark wrote:

Also this isn't answered! What do I tell koodo to get this taken off my bill? No one said anythin...

You don't. Data was used. You agreed to pay if data was used. It's a legitimate charge. The fact that you're not happy about it doesn't really enter into the equation.
Mark may be a little angry, but he has a point, we shouldn't be getting charged for this accidental data. Its 200kb. That's enough to send/receive only 8% of an average photo. I would imagine that if we called Koodo, they would be reasonable enough to take off the 5$ charge we got, for downloading what's equivalent to 8% of a picture, throughout a whole month.
Userlevel 1
I agree, Koodo is very reasonable. But also I'm thinking what if this happens again, in which case perhaps, a data plan change to one level up? The reality is, is that phones use data, just for the fact that they are turned on. What do think?
I think they can be nice and let 200kb over, pass by. Well they definitely [i]can. It just depends whether they want to. Here's some math to show how this charge compares to their real overage rate. Their overage rate is $5/250MB We paid 5$/200KB We paid 2.5 cents/KB, Overage Rate is 0.000476 cents/KB We paid [b]5243 times more for our extra usage above what we intended, compared to what koodo's actual overage rate is.
Userlevel 1
Jack7262 . wrote:

I think they can be nice and let 200kb over, pass by. Well they definitely [i]can. It just de...

OUCH! I totally agree with you Jack. So how do you AVOID this from happening again?
Jack7262 . wrote:

I think they can be nice and let 200kb over, pass by. Well they definitely [i]can. It just de...

oops, overage rate is 0.00195 cents/KB That's 1280 times more, still a ridiculous amount
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Jack7262 . wrote:

I think they can be nice and let 200kb over, pass by. Well they definitely [i]can. It just de...

You paid $5 for 25 MB. The fact that you didn't use the rest of it is immaterial. Your argument is like saying you are paying 1000 times too much for a bag of chips because you only ate 3. You still got the whole bag.
Jack7262 . wrote:

I think they can be nice and let 200kb over, pass by. Well they definitely [i]can. It just de...

All I am doing is comparing the prices/KB There is nothing wrong with that
Userlevel 1
Jack7262 . wrote:

I think they can be nice and let 200kb over, pass by. Well they definitely [i]can. It just de...

So how do you avoid this happening again Jack?
Jack7262 . wrote:

I think they can be nice and let 200kb over, pass by. Well they definitely [i]can. It just de...

Understand that one of my points is that the "chip bag" sizes are unfair to customers in these situations

Reply