Koodo Community

Community

Question

Using easyroam in US, I see mystery calls from "mynumber ZZ,ZZ" to "99999 ROAM/VOY" for $7 each

There is a separate $21 charge on my bill which I assume is for the EasyRoam 3 days in the US (although when I click on that charge, I get no info).  But there are also these 3 mystery calls in my Airtime, each listed as 1 min for $7.  I made a single phone call while in the US, which shows up correctly.

It looks to me like I'm being double-charged for roaming. Anyone have insight on this?

Not happy at all with this new roaming feature (the previous add-ons were much better for me) or how it was rolled out - no reference in the website to the transition, the old options just vanished and the text "announcement" came out after I was traveling. This is making me even less happy.

24 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hello there,

You've been charged 21$ in extra or 42$? Maybe those "calls" are the way for Koodo to charge the EasyRoam even if you didn't actually make calls.
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Hi there... 

7$ for 1 mins sounds like the phone was potentially used while on a cruise? Is that a possibility?

Please, give us more details!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hi KF, page 7 of your bill shows the detailed breakdown of all calls (if you download the PDF ebill from Self Serve, it shows all of the details, where as the overview will only show high-level info.).

Easy Roam launched on Oct. 10, and I see that you opted into the service on Oct. 10, 11, and 13th -the $21 charge you reference is indeed for those days. The Additional charges are for usage in late Sept. and early October, at which time you did not have any roaming add-ons, so were charged the pay-per-use rate.

Hope that helps clarify things. For more info. on Easy Roam, you can check out https://www.koodomobile.com/easyroam
No cruise, I was in Texas.  I think I see what's happening though...
My bill shows 2 lines: Airtime and Other.
The Other line shows $21 (I assume easyroam); when I click on it, I just go to the Usage tab, no details.
The Airtime line (total) shows $20.50, but the DETAILS show those calls, plus the 3 1-min calls for $7.  So those $7 calls aren't rolled up into the Airtime total.

So I'm not being charged twice for EasyRoam, but the way it's being billed is as a call - sort of.  Rather confusing, and since I have limited minutes, it should not count against those.  I'd suggest they change the way they bill this. (Better yet, bring back the old options!)
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
kf wrote:

My bill shows 2 lines:...

Easy Roam gives you access to the minutes/texts/data of your Canadian plan, so yes, your minutes would be deducted. This IS different than the past, where you bought a bucket of minutes/texts/data for use when travelling.
kf wrote:

My bill shows 2 lines:...

You misunderstand.
Those 1-min calls to 99999 ROAM/VOY in my Airtime log were not actual calls that I made.  That is apparently how they were registering the EasyRoam $7/day charge to my account. 
Activating the add-on alone should not affect my minutes. Agreed that any actual calls I make will.

I have been on two trips to the USA and UK lately and signed up for EasyRoam, with no real intention of using my minutes, texts or data (only used for wifi). I have numerous of these 1-min calls to 99999 ROAM/VOY on my account...5 x $10 charges for my recent trip to UK and 3 x $7 charges for my USA trip. The problem is I DIDN'T USE MY PHONE AT ALL, except for wifi. I didn't send any texts, didn't turn on data, and didn't make any calls. Why the heck have these charges been added to my account? This seems really fishy to me...have other people also experienced this? And does anyone know how I can make a complaint and fight this? 

Thanks - John
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
John Kelly wrote:

I have been on two trips to the USA and UK lately and signed up for EasyRoam, with no real intent...

hi John,
The "99999 ROAM/VOY" was likely a code to mark when your easyroam on certain day started. It wasn't a real phone number.

Easyroam starts if your phone use mobile data, make/receive call or send texts. You could check your record and see if there was any record of them while roaming. What phone was it by the way? Even you think you used wifi, but if your wifi was weak, it could connect to a mobile network. Did you disable Mobile data/cellular data during that trip?
John Kelly wrote:

I have been on two trips to the USA and UK lately and signed up for EasyRoam, with no real intent...

Never sign up for easy roam with no intention to use phone. Any usage besides incoming text or incoming call triggers it. Better to use pay per use rates for minimal use. If you didn't use your phone and data was off like you say then you could call them and complain and they should be able to help you.
John Kelly wrote:

Hi Dinh, I didn't turn on my data, didn't send any texts and didn't make any calls. My phone is an iPhone SE. I used the wifi but made sure the cellular data option was switched off so that if there was a weak or no wifi signal that it wouldn't automatically use my data - I just had no internet. 

Mats, I know I should have cancelled the add-ons (I just have now). I initially signed up as I didn't have an alternative phone to use in those countries and thought I might need it on certain days. However, I managed to get a sim and phone for the UK so I didn't need the EasyRoam anymore. I just presumed if I didn't use my phone for texting/calling/data then I wouldn't be charged anyway!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
John Kelly wrote:

@John:
That was what you thought about your usage. In order to dispute any charges, you need evidences. Did you go over the bill and check if they had something peculiar, that you think it shouldn't be there?

I once roamed with an iPhone. I found out that sometime when the iPhone was turned on (mobile data disabled), the iMessage somehow tried to send text to some server for activation.
John Kelly wrote:

I did send some imessages...that I just checked and are all highlighted blue. Plus the dates those messages were sent don't overlap at all with the dates I've been charged...so I still don't understand where it's coming from
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
John Kelly wrote:

@John:
I would create a table, and use 2 columns, one to denote when you had the 9999 and another column is for when you sent text or use data, call (if any in the bill).. BY doing that you could track down the way your were billed. After that you could post here for opinions or contact Koodo directly to dispute your bill.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
John Kelly wrote:

Note: at times the 99999 ROAM/VOY does not exactly match your use, but appears later in the day.
John Kelly wrote:

Dinh and David, thanks for the suggestions. I've lined up all my 99999 charges next to texts sent in imessage (none were sent via text message - I double checked) but none of them match up with the 99999 charge dates. They don't correspond with charges later in the day or even later days. There's no pattern to it, which makes no sense. Data was not turned on once during my trip so I [i]definitely did not use data! And I did not make any calls (my bill proves that). I really cannot explain the charges
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
John Kelly wrote:

@John:
For messaging, you would want to check the Pdf bill, downloaded from the selfserve. iMessage is considered as data, it won't show in the messaging section.

What I am suggesting is: you need to look into the "pdf bill", find the evidences of the usage during the roaming periods there. It must exist in the bill because Koodo charged you for it. For example, If the  bill  said there was a record of using 1MB on certain date, but you said "no no", then you need a good explanation.

For disputing bills, you would have to call in Koodo or send messages to their facebook.
John Kelly wrote:

I suggest if u don’t want to do easyroam remove it from account prior to trip. Sometimes data leaks usually right when the network changes. This leak will result in the full charge of easyroam. This happens even if data roaming is off. You could also put on airplane mode before the network switch occurs, may prevent the leak
John Kelly wrote:

@Dinh I've attached the section from my bill. That is the only information provided in the PDF bill document that outlines the usage. It doesn't line up with sent imessages

John Kelly wrote:

I think I'll have to call them and find out what happened. Do you know if we get charged for those kind of calls? I notice on the website that Koodo tends to charge for most things when calling...
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
John Kelly wrote:

Messages aren't on the ebill. They can be found under the usage section of self serve though.
John Kelly wrote:

Yeah I checked that@Allan. There are two "International Text Messages" that I received on the same day - that's all. But according to the roaming rules, those should not be charged and are free because I received them.
John Kelly wrote:

No you wont get charged for asking about your bill or disputing charges.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
John Kelly wrote:

@john: incoming sms is free when roaming. I think you were charged due to some small data usage somewhere.
You won't be charged for calling (or send messages to koodo facebook) to dispute the bill. You could ask the agent nicely to go over the charge and explain what you did to minimize usage(but still triggered easyroam). It is also important for the next trip. You could ask them to check your data usages, your text and see if they justify (you could be charged for few days, as you mentioned you sent some texts)
John Kelly wrote:

Thanks everyone for your advice and help