Koodo Community
Solved

US date charge while in Canada

I got charged $5 for a US data charge while in Canada. How do I go about contacting Koodo to have this reversed?
icon

Best answer by Mats 23 January 2019, 19:14

Request a callback through the assistant to have Koodo adjust it.

https://www.koodomobile.com/help/?INTCMP=KMNew_NavMenu_support

Go in to the settings of your phone and take network selection off of automatic and manually select Koodo. This way your phone won't be able to roam and pick up a US tower while close to the border in Canada. You'll have to change it back to automatic if you ever do want it to roam.

View original

6 replies

Badge +4
Request a callback through the assistant to have Koodo adjust it.

https://www.koodomobile.com/help/?INTCMP=KMNew_NavMenu_support

Go in to the settings of your phone and take network selection off of automatic and manually select Koodo. This way your phone won't be able to roam and pick up a US tower while close to the border in Canada. You'll have to change it back to automatic if you ever do want it to roam.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
@blingamo were you physically near a US border (or perhaps in southern Vancouver Island) at the time? If so, it's quite possible your phone did briefly connect to a US tower.

To prevent this from happening again in the future, go into your device's settings, Network (or SIM & Network on some phones), and find the option for network selection. Yours is probably set to automatic network selection. Try turning off auto or switching it to manual (depending how your phone's options are laid out). The phone will scan (this can take a while) and then present you with a list of networks you can manually choose. Choose the Koodo network. From then on, your phone won't connect to an US towers (nor anything but Koodo).

If you do travel at some point and want to use roaming, make sure you switch this setting back to Automatic for the duration of your trip.
Thanks for all your replies.

In the mean time had requested a call back and the charge is all sorted out.

Having lived close to the border, for the last 20 years, I am fully aware of how to setup a phone with the Manual Network method selection and haven't any problems with my past phones Samsung S5, Motorola Moto, LGV30 and my present phone Samsung S8
We also have a HUAWEI P10 plus and it is this phone that is giving us problems. One can do a manual Network search and selection but once a Network ( Koodo) is selected the phone turns the "Auoto" button back on by itself and switches often to a US Network such as ATT and T-Mobile, hence the extra data charge, although data roaming is turned off.

I have contacted Huawei several times and so far they have not come up with a solution. Done many factory resets to no avail.

If any of you know a solution I would be ecstatic.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
@blingamo oh weird behaviour from the P10 Plus! I wish I had a solution for you, but sadly I do not.
Yes ,weird behaviour indeed. Walking from my living to the bedroom, on the same floor, makes the Huawei P10 switch from Koodo to ATT/T-Mobile or to no network connection at all.
Badge +4
blingamo wrote:

We also have a HUAWEI P10 plus and it is this phone that is giving us problems. One can do a manual Network search and selection but once a Network ( Koodo) is selected the phone turns the "Auoto" button back on by itself

If any of you know a solution I would be ecstatic.

I have a Essential phone with the same problem. Ever since updating it to Android P it will not stay on manually selecting a network and always reverts back to automatic. I have not found a solution and have given up looking for one. I don't live near the border so it's not that big of deal to me.