Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Unhelpful and unsympathetic staff


Koodo does not help with negative credit reporting even when they're at fault. For some unknown reason and one that Koodo can't explain, they started sending my bills to an old closed e-mail account and I depending on those e-mails to remind me to pay the bill, paid the bill late. There is now a negative report on my otherwise flawless credit history and Koodo will not help correct it. Talked to a woman named Beverly who not only didn't seem to understand the issue after much discussion, but seemed quite unapologetic about Koodo's culpability in the issue. Not impressed. Spoiled an otherwise wonderful relationship I've had with Koodo. I will be changing carriers because of it to clear the item from my credit file and will not deal with Koodo again.

26 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
If your credit history is flawless, a couple of late bills wouldn't even put a dent in your credit history
Dennis wrote:

If your credit history is flawless, a couple of late bills wouldn't even put a dent in your credi...

That's not really the point, Dennis. So if someone slapped you for no reason, would you not feel aggrieved because a slap doesn't cause much physical damage? I've worked very hard for my flawless credit and when I ask a company I've had a long standing relationship with to make a goof faith correction, I don't expect to be treated like a criminal instead. I'm really quite shocked by the treatment I received from Beverly, a Koodo employee.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dennis wrote:

If your credit history is flawless, a couple of late bills wouldn't even put a dent in your credi...

But did you indeed pay the bill late? If so, any "correction" would be fraudulent.
Dennis wrote:

If your credit history is flawless, a couple of late bills wouldn't even put a dent in your credi...

My contention Dennis, is that it's not entirely my fault because the notification that I count on to trigger me to pay, stopped coming to my e-mail account. A correction by Koodo would not be fraudulent. It's called a goodwill gesture, recognizing their culpability in an otherwise perfect payment track record.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dennis wrote:

If your credit history is flawless, a couple of late bills wouldn't even put a dent in your credi...

Not entirely your fault is still your fault.
Dennis wrote:

If your credit history is flawless, a couple of late bills wouldn't even put a dent in your credi...

If they are sending it to an old closed email account, it is YOUR responsibility to keep your information up-to-date, and with the online accounts nowadays, there is NO excuse to not pay your bill on-time, your usage and balance are updated every four hours, stop complaining and looking for excuses jsut because you have a habit of not paying things on-time or leaving them unpaid
Dennis wrote:

If your credit history is flawless, a couple of late bills wouldn't even put a dent in your credi...

I so agree with Kaitlin be responsible for your actions that should have been taken...like updating your account! Secondly if you are a responsible adult you should know when your bills are due.....
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dennis wrote:

If your credit history is flawless, a couple of late bills wouldn't even put a dent in your credi...

Guys, this thread has been dead for 7 months. There's no need to add anything.
Userlevel 7
Dennis is pretty much correct. Furthermore, it is without any question, regardless of your opinion, that the customer is always responsible for paying their bill on-time. The email reminders are nothing more than a courtesy.
Ahmad wrote:

Dennis is pretty much correct. Furthermore, it is without any question, regardless of your opinio...

You're correct Ahmad, it is the customer's responsibility for paying their bills on time, but that's why we get bills and e-mails. Koodo is not investigating why my e-mail notifications reverted to an old closed e-mail account. They're also not investigating why, at the same time, my online account became unusable and had to be deleted. They had to set me up a new account and as soon as I realized the bill was unpaid, I paid it immediately with apology, but the computer that reports account activity doesn't receive, understand, or process human apologies. I've had 40 credit reports from Koodo, without so much as a blip and the 41st leaves a black mark for 7 years if I do nothing about it. Starting to get the picture? Reminders are not a courtesy, it's how they trigger the customer to pay, since they've started charging for paper bills.
Userlevel 6
Ahmad wrote:

Dennis is pretty much correct. Furthermore, it is without any question, regardless of your opinio...

I'm not following how koodo why koodo would send your ebills to a different email address? Did they get this email from you? Are you saying it was an old one, you updated your account with them for the new one? We're things going well and you say all of a sudden they reverted back to the old address?
Ahmad wrote:

Dennis is pretty much correct. Furthermore, it is without any question, regardless of your opinio...

Yes, I had updated my e-mail address a while ago and had been getting my bills at the new address. Then something happened and they started sending my notifications to a previous and closed e-mail account. I guess Koodo doesn't follow up on undeliverable e-mail notifications. Perhaps they should. Eventually, I got an automated message on my phone from Koodo about my late payment. That's the only reason I knew my account was overdue. If they had done that as soon as they got an undeliverable message from my closed e-mail account perhaps this would have never happened. Anyway, I get both e-mail and SMS reminders now, so it shouldn't be a problem any longer. That and I intend to seek out a new service provider.
Userlevel 1
Ahmad wrote:

Dennis is pretty much correct. Furthermore, it is without any question, regardless of your opinio...

You owe the money, your responsible to pay, pay on time. Period. Your house burns down, you apartment blows up, your car is stolen, and your the first man to give birth, pay your bills on time or suffer the consequences.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
It seems your only recourse is to file a complaint with the credit bureau. But let's get some perspective. Whether this gets corrected or not, it will have no affect on your credit, your ability to get credit, or the rate you get when getting credit.
Dennis wrote:

It seems your only recourse is to file a complaint with the credit bureau. But let's get som...

I intend to file a complaint with the credit reporting agency. They will investigate it and so will Koodo have to investigate it again. Your assertion that this won't hurt my credit rating is erroneous. Everything in the file is used to calculate my credit score and believe me, if I noticed it, creditors will too. All would be unnecessary if Koodo would just treat their customers with a little more respect. Removing a negative credit report takes effort and sometimes that's a big deal to people. I bet it would take them less effort than it will cost them in the end.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dennis wrote:

It seems your only recourse is to file a complaint with the credit bureau. But let's get som...

If you have a flawless record before hand and a history with credit it will have no effect. You can ask your local credit provider. If Koodo is your sole form or credit history then yes it will. Lenders look at your entire history plus the variety of credit products, plus your income.
Dennis wrote:

It seems your only recourse is to file a complaint with the credit bureau. But let's get som...

I have an intimate understanding of how it works, Dennis. This happens to be the area that I work in.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dennis wrote:

It seems your only recourse is to file a complaint with the credit bureau. But let's get som...

Then you must know everytime you pull your credit report you lower it. So stop obsessing over it. You are prolly lowering your credit more than one late payment.
Dennis wrote:

It seems your only recourse is to file a complaint with the credit bureau. But let's get som...

You're one of those boys who can never be wrong aren't you. Well, thanks for coming out, Dennis. Your input wasn't helpful, but it did help me explain what happened, so thanks for that. 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Set up auto-pay on credit card and don't worry about people arguing over your good/bad/not-responsible/irresponsible behaviour over which we have no control. Though I suspect a credit card in the name of "John Bills" might make any adolescent-or-older ask a question or two... Nobody likes any kind of laundry being hanged in public. ________________ If you see a reply you like, please give it a star.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I'm a little surprised at backlash directed at the OP. 1. Yes, it's the customer's responsibility of ensuring that the bill is paid in full, on-time. 2. It is Koodo's responsibility of ensuring that the customer's bill is presented to the customer in a timely fashion. 3. #1 cannot happen without #2. If the customer provides erroneous information to Koodo, then the customer is culpable. But, if Koodo enters the data wrong, why should the customer be penalized? If the case in question is exactly as presented by the OP, then Koodo should offer a resolution. Regardless of how minor the credit impact is.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ivan wrote:

I'm a little surprised at backlash directed at the OP. 1. Yes, it's the customer's responsibil...

However, regardless of who's fault it is, it is insignificant to argue over a late payment note on a credit report if OP does indeed have a flawless credit history.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ivan wrote:

I'm a little surprised at backlash directed at the OP. 1. Yes, it's the customer's responsibil...

It's not up to us to determine what's significant or insignificant to the OP. 🙂
Userlevel 7
Ivan wrote:

I'm a little surprised at backlash directed at the OP. 1. Yes, it's the customer's responsibil...

#2. It's called logging to self-serve at anytime and pull up your bill. Just because he didn't receive the email notification of the REMINDER, it doesn't mean the bill(s) were not there and accesible and as a Koodo customer, he knows that. #2 did happen so #1 still applies. #1 still applies because regardless of your position of how they notify you, the bills were there. No, Koodo does not have to say "hey, YOUR BILL IS READY COME PAY IT" whatsoever. You know your bill is due around/on the same day every month. You know a Koodo bill exists for you. Common sense. At the end of the day Ivan, which it doesn't seem to understand, Koodo doesn't have a legal responsibility to remind you to pay your bill. Your #2 would apply if they didn't actually have his e-bills on self-serve.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ivan wrote:

I'm a little surprised at backlash directed at the OP. 1. Yes, it's the customer's responsibil...

We're not talking about legal responsibilities here. He has no ground to sue Koodo. Should we limit our complaints only to legally valid ones? Though, since the CRTC ordered free paper billing for wireless service, there may actually be a legal requirement to notify customers. Not being a lawyer, I wouldn't know.

Reply