Koodo Community
Question

Unexpected charges on bill

• 20 March 2019
  • 7 replies

I have had a Koodo plan for some time (years). I just happened to be looking at my latest bill as it was so high, and it appears as though I was charged for some calls to the US this month. When I had signed up, my plan was unlimited calls to Canada and US. I wanted that plan specifically because I work for a US company and have team members I frequently need to talk to there. I have been using the phone plan without issues for ages. But now when I log in and view my plan, it says I have unlimited Canadian minutes. Is it possible this was changed without my knowing about it? I was totally surprised by the additional charges.

7 replies

Badge +4
Are you sure that you originally signed up with unlimted US and Canada calling? I didn't think Koodo ever had a plan like that. Have you ever made calls to the US and not been charged since you say you've had this plan for so long?

You can request a callback from the digital assistant for any billing inquiries.

https://www.koodomobile.com/help/
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Can you login to your self serve and download a past bill where you did make US calls but were not charged long distance for it? SOmthing recent would be preferred.
I dont remember unlimited US calling for Koodo as part of the plan or an add-on, but if you had it for years, then it could be something older that I forgot about.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I don't think it was ever part of a plan, but there was dedinitely an add on at one time for unlimited us calling. It hasn't been offered for at least five years though.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
@rtaniwa We never had plans that came with unlimited calls to the US. You maybe thinking of a long distance add-on we have that gives 1,000 minutes to the US for $10 a month. I hope this helps!
Thanks all. I haven't been able to locate my original contract, and the online history doesn't seem to go back far enough. Perhaps you are all correct, in that the plan never existed and I am mis-remembering. However for whatever reason, I have vivid recollection of me signing up because the contract benefits would directly help with my work calls to the US. I didn't need them often, so perhaps I never noticed until lately when I had a bunch in one month.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Thanks all. I haven't been able to locate my original contract, and the online history doesn't seem to go back far enough. Perhaps you are all correct, in that the plan never existed and I am mis-remembering. However for whatever reason, I have vivid recollection of me signing up because the contract benefits would directly help with my work calls to the US. I didn't need them often, so perhaps I never noticed until lately when I had a bunch in one month.

@rtaniwa are these work calls to other people in your company that happen to be in the USA? If so, does your company use an instant messenger like Slack, Skype, or Skype for Business (formerly Microsoft Lync)? If so, you might want to look at making your calls over the app. Within my company, we're usually all in the same city but can be in differing locations sometimes, so we make a lot of use of Slack and Skype calls. You can get good quality voice (especially if you have a decent headset), video, and screen sharing without any long distance. EDIT: I should mention, I have used this with colleagues that have been in the US for periods of time as well, and it's flawless and costs no long distance--only data usage of course)

If your calls are with outside parties in the US and they also use Skype for Business you can set up conference calls with them over Skype. If your company has Audio Conferencing enabled (it's an additional license in Office365 on top of Skype for Business, but doesn't cost much per user per month EDIT: we pay about $5.50 per month per user, taxes in, for this extra O365 feature), you can add a dial-in line to the Skype conference meetings for outside parties that don't use Skype, so they can still dial in. It might be extra to have a US local/toll-free dial in line though, I'm not sure. With Slack I don't think you can really set up conference calls or have dial-in lines, but there are ways to link Slack organizations if you need to, to be able to directly slack-to-slack call outside parties that also use Slack.

Anyway sorry none of this may be terribly helpful to you, or it might. You could also try a VoIP app like Fongo or Talkatone or TextNow (or many others), though I find I tend to get better results over Skype or Slack calling, typically.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Telus offers a Canada - US plan where the border is transparent to your use. Depending on your travel situation, it may be an option.