Koodo Community

Unexpected $270 Bill

• 10 September 2019
  • 6 replies

Not a question, more a complaint. I've been a customer for 10 years and have always referred family and friends to Koodo. Recently my wife joined and we were shocked when she received a bill for over $200 (triple her usual monthly). She just had a baby and must have gone over her 500 anytime minutes. But a $200 bill without any warnings is crazy. Koodo has data warnings but no minutes warning. Upon calling customer service for the first time in 10 years we were met with nothing with robots. When we finally got through to a human he was borderline rude. We received a $23 credit (and will switch to unlimited minutes). This didn't help much with the approx $150 extra charge. So much for 10 years of loyalty. TLDR - watch your minutes or Koodo will slam you without warning.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hi,
There was no warning regarding minutes overage. The regulations didn't ask them to do so.

Regarding the charge, did you knowingly you had only 500 minutes in your plan? If so, it wasn't Koodo fault when you went over the limit.

Anyway, this public forum isn't the right place if you want a special arrangement with Koodo. You need to talk to an agent or chat with them via Facebook/twitter.
Thank you, the agent told us to post here in the community.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Koodo has data warnings but no minutes warning.

Correct. I don't think any other companies have minutes warning system.

When did she joined Koodo?
Did she open her account of her own?
If you added her under your account, then calls between you and your wife is unlimited.
Wow. Upon reading this message I am shocked and disappointed in Koodo. Being a new mother is an extremely hard and challenging time and your wife should have been treated with respect and understanding. Anyone who has had a newborn can understand how stressful that time period is and it is not unreasonable to want to talk to a human being about the particular situation. You have been a loyal customer for 10 years and I assume you have been dilligent at paying your bills and should also be treated with compassion and kindness when trying to resolve the unexpected high phone bill. Koodo's slogan is Choose Happy' and I don't think you and your wife were give the choice of happiness when you were slammed with such an exuberant bill while also managing the extreme life changes of having a newborn child.

In regards to the self serve assistant- I too have had my problems and concerns with it. I feel it is extremely frustrating to belong to a phone company where I can't make a phone call to an actual live human being who can assist me. I feel we should be at least given the option to wait on the line for a representative, not just given an option for a time back call. For people on the go or people with young children it is hard to predict when we will be available to take the call, but when we are calling in a free minute or so between feeds or school pick ups we should be able to reach a person who can help us and resolve our problems. I feel the whole experience is very depersonalized and unpleasant. It is amazing what technology can do these days, but I think human connection and interaction cannot be replaced. I feel strongly that Koodo should make an effort to care more about their customers and make them feel like their voice is heard.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Wow. Upon reading this message I am shocked and disappointed in Koodo. Being a new mother is an extremely hard and challenging time and your wife should have been treated with respect and understanding. Anyone who has had a newborn can understand how stressful that time period is and it is not unreasonable to want to talk to a human being about the particular situation. You have been a loyal customer for 10 years and I assume you have been dilligent at paying your bills and should also be treated with compassion and kindness when trying to resolve the unexpected high phone bill. Koodo's slogan is Choose Happy' and I don't think you and your wife were give the choice of happiness when you were slammed with such an exuberant bill while also managing the extreme life changes of having a newborn child.
I dont understand. The plan was correct. The customer knew what the consequences were when they chose their plan if they went over their minutes. The customer legitimately went over their minutes. What did koodo do wrong? The overage was correct and legitimate.

Everyone is going through something or stress in their lives. What exceptions should be allowed or not allowed?

In regards to the self serve assistant- I too have had my problems and concerns with it. I feel it is extremely frustrating to belong to a phone company where I can't make a phone call to an actual live human being who can assist me. I feel we should be at least given the option to wait on the line for a representative, not just given an option for a time back call. For people on the go or people with young children it is hard to predict when we will be available to take the call, but when we are calling in a free minute or so between feeds or school pick ups we should be able to reach a person who can help us and resolve our problems. I feel the whole experience is very depersonalized and unpleasant. It is amazing what technology can do these days, but I think human connection and interaction cannot be replaced. I feel strongly that Koodo should make an effort to care more about their customers and make them feel like their voice is heard.

All you need to do is say schedule a callback in koodo assist and you are able to select a callback time
Userlevel 5
That bill is not even close to being crazy. I have bills from Koodo that are dozens of pages with thousands of dollars charges. This month, I am paying over $1500.

I was billed $200~ overpriced airtime charges because I used the wrong lines to make phone calls. Am I complaining and asking for a refund for my mistake with airtime? No. But you can definitely get most of those airtime charges refunded if you complain enough.