Koodo Community
Solved

Travelling to the USA

We own a small business, we need to take our phone with us to the USA, what is the best way to receive and answer our emails and phone messages cheaply?

7 replies

Userlevel 4
A couple of options 1) Choose a Koodo US add-on that works for you and your needs. This is not the cheapest option, but it will be, by far, the most straightforward and convenient. 2) If your device is unlocked, and you plan on going to the US often, you should consider getting a US SIM card on a Pay as You Go plan. this requires visiting a brick and mortar store. Since I normally go down to the US for only about 1wk at a time, I've used T-Mobile's pay by the day plan with great success. Talk text and data for $3/day of use (Don't use it one day? then you don't pay). http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/pay-by-the-day-cell-phone-plans Since T-mobile credit expires in 90 days and is hard to refill from canada unless you sign up for the online service (and even then there's no guarantee your card will remain active if you go a long time without using it) I've been considering getting a SIM from Roam Mobility as it is a bit more flexible. http://www.roammobility.com
Buy yourselves a Tracfone phone and buy a pay as you go card (from $19.95 for 60 minutes and certain phones triple this time). It will cost you much less in the long run. I've been using Tracfone for about 5 years now. I can call anywhere in the US and Canada (from the US) for 0.10 cents a minute, long distance or local. Plus the connection is super (except in the mountains). Excellent clear voice and you can also call International for the same low price. How cool is that? Nobody can beat this price. Plus when you buy a phone (about $20.) it's yours to keep. No  fees whatsoever. Great company.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ray Casbourn wrote:

Buy yourselves a Tracfone phone and buy a pay as you go card (from $19.95 for 60 minutes and cert...

I second that Tracfone recommendation above if you are involved in long-term or regular use. You can do all the email you want, as well as outgoing calls very cheaply.

The only glitch is that you will be assigned a different US phone number. So incoming calls to your current Koodo number will go to voicemail, assuming you don't answer them on your Koodo phone. But you can "return" the calls by checking your Koodo phone log and then calling back on your Tracfone.
Ray Casbourn wrote:

Buy yourselves a Tracfone phone and buy a pay as you go card (from $19.95 for 60 minutes and cert...

Of course you have to be in the US often to benefit from a Tracfone phone but may I say that your minutes never expire or at least not for about a year which I hadn't posted before. I have an answering machine at home and call my home phone to check on messages and don't have to use my Koodo phone at all. I would never answer a call (turned off) in the US of my Canadian phone. The cost is too prohibitive. Unless Canadian companies come up with a better service, I'll stick with the US Tracfone. We are being add here with our cell and it's about time it changes.
Userlevel 4
Ray Casbourn wrote:

I still stand by Roam Mobility being one of the most affordable and flexible options for travelling to the US. While you will get a US phone number, you at least get to use your own phone! I use it a few times a year and have never had an issue. https://www.roammobility.com
Ray Casbourn wrote:

I purchased a phone and plan from Roam mobility and received harassing and threatening phone calls from collection agencies for the person who the number before us. We received calls at all times of the day almost daily for two months.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ray Casbourn wrote:

Can't you change the phone number?