Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Transfer of Responsibility Question

My phone is currently under my father's name, and I have neglected to change it for years. But I have recently moved to Alberta, and now I am paying HST on my phone bill even though I am no longer an Ontario resident. I think it's time to get it put into my name. Can I switch the phone into my name at a kiosk or koodo store to avoid the charge?

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
If it is an alberta number you can avoid the HST that way. You can do a transfer of ownership for $25. You can both go to the kiosk or you can do it over the phone. Just call Koodo
Dennis wrote:

If it is an alberta number you can avoid the HST that way. You can do a transfer of ownership ...

I changed my number to an Alberta number some time ago, but I am still being charged HST. My father still lives in Ontario, so the address on the account is an Ontario address. Is that why I am still getting the HST charge?
Userlevel 7
Dennis wrote:

If it is an alberta number you can avoid the HST that way. You can do a transfer of ownership ...

The bill and taxes are fixed to the billing address not the phone number.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dennis wrote:

My billing address is Alberta and I have a Winnipeg number and I was told by customer service that I have to pay the PST because I have a Manitoba number. Maybe both have to be changed
Userlevel 7
There is no point in going to a kiosk because all a rep will do is dial the call center for you and you guys have to talk to them. It can't actually be done at the store level. And seeing as Koodo kiosks are usually busy, then most likely instruct you to just call *611 from your phone.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Koodo will run a credit check on you and if the credit check comes back good, they will process a transfer of ownership.
Userlevel 7
Apparently continues here: http://gsfn.us/t/33ceg
I was honestly just looking to see if I could get out of paying the $25. Money is tight right now! But I will call in, bite it and pay it. Might be able to get reimbursed for the HST I've paid since changing my number though if what Dennis said is true.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I believe that you are still being charged because your account is an Ontario address under your father's name. Once the account is transferred to you in your Alberta address with an Alberta number you won't get charged for HST.