Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Texting charges

My kids phones think they are in the USA but they are not. We don't want texting charges.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Phone model and actual location, please?
Userlevel 6
I'd say you live close to the US border Charlene. There steps you can take to change the phones' settings so they don't pick up US signals. It's easy but as Bob mentioned it a model of the phone would help. Usually it's under network setting.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Settings>Network/Carrier>Turn off automatic and manually select Koodo You might want to proactively call Koodo and ask them why your phone says you are in the US when you are not and ell them you dont want any US Roaming charges. They will fix it up for you
Userlevel 6
Dennis wrote:

Settings>Network/Carrier>Turn off automatic and manually select Koodo You might want to proact...

What happens when people are indeed in the US and just lie about not being there to avoid paying for it? Can koodo see where you are?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dennis wrote:

Settings>Network/Carrier>Turn off automatic and manually select Koodo You might want to proact...

That's a great question. I'm not sure what Koodo's tower tracking capabilities are? I think if you say you are home they know your address and the vicinity to the border. But people travel to other parts of Canada it may be harder to pinpoint
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dennis wrote:

Need a valid reason to get a credit. You either live or work near the border, so that turning off roaming in those locations will allow you to maintain the weaker Koodo signal over a possibly stronger US ($$$) one. Normally, your phone will home in on the stronger signal automatically. Not so much a story of Koodo tracking you as the US carrier billing Koodo for the roaming.