Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Switching from Telus

So I'm currently with Telus and have just over 1 month remaining on my contract. Has anyone had any experience with switching from them at the end of their contract while still retaining/porting your number over? I'm not sure if I need to give Telus 30 days notice and then just port the number over any time after my final bill comes in? I've also read that there is a couple day leeway after the contract expires to allow porting the number? Just looking for a bit of input from someone that might've gone through this previously. Thanks

8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Hi there... From the moment your contract is up you can port your number over Koodo, Koodo will notify Telus that you want to switch and keep your number and then Telus will cancel your account I would say at the end of your billing cycle, at least that is what Koodo does. In some places there is no 30 days notice, but it is important to understand, and some people demand to cancel on the spot, is that if you cancel before your billing cycle ends, you may be charged additionally if you ever go over the minutes, data or etc, because you have an allotment of minutes and data for the month (for 30 days), but if you interrupt the services before your billing cycle ends, then you do not have the same allotment you have for 30 days, you will have less since everything is prorated (divided)...
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I know with Koodo when you want to change and not on contract you do not need any notice. With rogers I had to give 30 days notice (which I timed so it ended on my billing cycle). Then a day before it all ended I went to Koodo to port my number. So technically I paid Rogers one extra day. This way I maximized my time with rogers and didnt have any risk losing my number. Note that you must port your number before your Telus account is officially canceled in order to keep your number or else your number will be lost. And by porting that is when Koodo officially sends the cancellation to Telus
If you switch before your contract is up they'll make you pay something (each contract is different) to cancel early. However if it's for a great deal...perhaps it's worth it. I would plan the deal you want, call to cancel and then they transfer you (to retention) make it clear why. They may act like the Godfather:
My main intent was to do something similar to Dennis L. I'll be calling Telus today to check on this as my contract expires on July 27th to try and get some more details. With regards to Koodo, am I best off check my local kiosk with regards to starting a plan with them? If I order the phone and such through the website, do they start charging me once I activate the phone? What I was thinking of doing is ordering my phone so I have everything ready to go then just stopping by a local kiosk to activate/port my number when I'm ready to port over my number. Thanks again for the input everyone.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Boxster17 wrote:

My main intent was to do something similar to Dennis L. I'll be calling Telus today to check on ...

Great minds think alike Boxter17 ^_- If it expires on the 27th and if you port on the 26th make sure there is no last minute cancellation fees. If you cancel on the 27 or 28 make sure you get the prorated payment since you gave 30+ days notice. For a port you would have to go to the Kiosk for sure. I believe you would be able to order the device before hand online. I am unsure when the plan will commence.
Boxster17 wrote:

My main intent was to do something similar to Dennis L. I'll be calling Telus today to check on ...

Thanks for again for the input Dennis, I'll likely stop by my local Koodo kiosk once I'm back home this weekend to inquire more about their services. It looks like I've worked everything out with Telus to avoid any early cancellation fees/charges when porting my number (not in a major hurry to switch so was more concerned with getting hit with any extra fees).
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Boxster17 wrote:

Very prudent to ask and check and to get all your ducks in a row. Glad to help!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
venammachi wrote:

Make sure your phone is unlocked,if not initially get it unlocked from any vendors online like ht...

SPAM, do not trust.