Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Stop lying/being deceitful about plans!!!!!

My plan includes UNLIMITED FREE picture messaging. Yet, I'm charged extra for data every month for opening picture messages. What's the point of including and advertising my plan with UNLIMITED FREE picture messaging if you're going to charge me for using data? UNLIMITED FREE MEANS AS MANY AS I WANT!!!! So here's an idea: STOP being misleading and deceitful and don't even bother including this faulty feature (UNLIMITED FREE IS A LIE) in the plan. Or honour what UNLIMITED FREE really means by keeping picture messaging unlimited and free.

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Sir, no need to be angry. Free MMS is a true thing. The problem is that when you activate data there are others apps using it. Therefore this is why you are being charged. Next time make sure to be connected on wireless network when opening MMS
Robert wrote:

Sir, no need to be angry. Free MMS is a true thing. The problem is that when you activate data...

Sorry to disagree, I have wifi on and make sure I am connected, yet I am being charged. I have everything turned off. When I do access Facebook to upload photos from my phone, I make sure I am on WIFI....so my dear, what is the dealio? I was so impressed with Koodo and I would hate to leave, but I will if I have to.
Userlevel 7
Robert wrote:

Sir, no need to be angry. Free MMS is a true thing. The problem is that when you activate data...

Frankly, thats not possible. It's just not unless your wifi has limited/no connectivity at the time and your phone does use data. And also, to upload pictures to facebook or use any app, data doesn't need to be in. Turn it off and use wifi. The only time data needs to be on to do something (even on wifi) is when sending a picture message.

If you really believe you're getting charged then it may be a problem with your phone and should call technical support and they can go through some troubleshooting.
Userlevel 5
Robert is correct, picture messaging does use data but its non billable data. If your getting charged its likely because you have a widget using data or your phone is doing updates.
Userlevel 7
What Robert and Mark said. Three confirmations (and there will be many more) that say the same. It's also like this for every carrier. Its a technology limitation, data needs to be on in order to send picture messages but the data usage you incurr and are billed isnt for picture messaging. Its the background data being used be apps and your phone, etc
Userlevel 1
When I try to send MMS, It seems like the picture is not going through. I am connected to wifi. A friend said I need to use the data to send MMS. Is this true?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Rambotan wrote:

When I try to send MMS, It seems like the picture is not going through. I am connected to wifi. A...

Yes, it is true. MMS uses data, and you have to have data enabled on your phone in order to send or receive MMS messages. However as the above posters pointed out, it doesn't use any of your paid data allotment.
Userlevel 1
Rambotan wrote:

When I try to send MMS, It seems like the picture is not going through. I am connected to wifi. A...

Thanks Sophia. I guess there are so many other options to send MMS anyways like Viber and Facebook. I just don't want to overuse my data and pay extra if I don't really need to. 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Rambotan wrote:

Just a heads up though Rambotan: Viber and Facebook messaging will use data from your data bucket (unless you are on WiFi of course)... whereas MMS does not ever use up your data.
Userlevel 1
Rambotan wrote:

Oh ok I did not get it at first, so I just basically turn the data on but when I send MMS, it wont use up my data? (Given no apps are open at the time) and yes most of the time im on wifi at work or at home.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Rambotan wrote:

The MMS will use your data, but you will not be billed for that portion of your data. You could send by email, which will send only by Wi-Fi if you have data turned off.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
H, Do you go about your whole life with the attitude displayed above? Can't be a very happy place.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Maybe this will make this a little clearer, if you have an Android phone: http://community.koodomobile.com/koodo/topics/data-and-how-to-make-the-most-of-it Essentially, MMS does use data, but it's not billed, but everything else is if you are using your data connection. When you turn your mobile data on, the first thing the phone does is to connect with the mother ship and see if anything is pending (MMS, updates, etc.) If you allow updates over mobile data, that unwanted Facebook update may have just started the cash register ringing. The article above shows you how to block apps from using mobile data to update unless you specifically permit them to do so, and restrict them to wi-fi.
Userlevel 1
Thanks Bob! I like this community. A lot of people responds quickly.
Userlevel 6
Rambotan wrote:

Thanks Bob! I like this community. A lot of people responds quickly.

Welcome on board Rambotan!
Userlevel 2
My husband had the same problem with Bell. He never touched his browser and had zero apps. His phone was the Sonim Bolt. He only used the phone for texting and calling and the occasional picture. Every month he was charged $5 for data and every month he called to let them know he did not use data. It was easy to see from his usage that the only data charges were from mms. They removed the $5 charge every month and after four or five months stopped charging him altogether for data usage from sending pictures. Yes they DO have the ability to not charge people for mms, the old phones never needed data to send pictures. Very annoying.
Userlevel 7
floridot wrote:

My husband had the same problem with Bell. He never touched his browser and had zero apps. His ph...

Yes, precisely because they were old phones. HSPA+ phones require data to be turned on. It's just how they're programmed. It's a tough thing to workaround for people to want to use a device designed to use data but not pay for data. It's kind of like ordering a pepperoni pizza and then picking them off because you only wanted cheese.