Koodo Community

Roaming Rates UP

Last time I used the 'on demand' roaming in the US the rate was $7/day when/if used. When you reached $50 that was the max charged to roam for that billing period.

Before I use the service again, I checked to make sure all was good to turn the service on again. To my dismay, the rate is now $8/day and you can go up to $100 before the max for that billing period is reached.

Typical I suppose, that greed is ever present and they will charge whatever the market will bear!

10 replies

Yes. Better to get a local Sim for where you are and use that. Little bit of a hassle and you get a new number but cheaper.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Are you mentioning about the "pay per use" rate or the "easyroam" rate?. Payperuse rate is not $7 or $8/day, that was easyroam rate. https://www.koodomobile.com/easyroam

If you added the easyroam add-on on your account before the increased rate, you might be able to keep that rate of $7/day. If you removed and re-added it, then your rate could be $8/day.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Wherever I go I use this website : http://prepaid-data-sim-card.wikia.com/wiki/Prepaid_SIM_with_data
Dinh wrote:

Are you mentioning about the "pay per use" rate or the "easyroam" rate?. Payperuse rate is not $7 or $8/day, that was easyroam rate. https://www.koodomobile.com/easyroam

If you added the easyroam add-on on your account before the increased rate, you might be able to keep that rate of $7/day. If you removed and re-added it, then your rate could be $8/day.

I added the easyroam @ $7 dollars in March and Koodo remove it and added the $8 addon.
Userlevel 6
@marvin yes they did this to everyone. It pays to look at your PDF invoices every month--they did notify us ahead of time. For example, this was present on the first page of my September 2018 invoice:

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
The smart money says they expected most people to use it for 2-3 days but instead found that it was more like 2 weeks.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

The smart money says they expected most people to use it for 2-3 days but instead found that it was more like 2 weeks.

Or they had insufficient exchange with partner carriers to balance at the former price. Often these deals depend on trading minutes and data used by customers in the alternate country.
Userlevel 6
@David AKU or, their ARPU needed another little bump to appease the investors. That one gets my vote as Occam's Razor. 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
srlawren wrote:

@David AKU or, their ARPU needed another little bump to appease the investors. That one gets my vote as Occam's Razor. ;)

As an investor in the Canadian telecom industry through CPP, that doesn’t bother me too much.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
If you are going south for a longer trip, consider switching to prepaid and buying only the boosters you will need. Caculate the disadvantages of paying off your tab and closing the account vs keeping the same number & paying for only what you need with balance carry-over in the US.

Otherwise, you can use the pay-per-use rates or Easy-Roam.