Koodo Community
Solved

Rate plan changed without my consent

• 9 February 2021
  • 38 replies

Userlevel 2

So I got an unpleasant surprise today when I went to pay my monthly bill and saw that somehow I owe 28$ instead of the 22.40$ that I've been paying for the last 6 years or so.

For all these years I have been on the same old old plan "Canada-wide talk + text 25 dbl" which costs me 20$ plus tax.

Looking more in detail I see that somehow my actual Rate Plan got changed from 20$ to 25$, on Feb 7th (yesterday) and it wasn't me who did this! Would it have been someone at Koodo or do I need to worry that somehow my account has been hacked?

Has this happened to anyone else? Maybe Koodo is no longer allowing people to keep their old rate plans that are below 25$? 

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

Sarah

icon

Best answer by Allan M 9 February 2021, 05:08

There were a bunch of older plans saw price increases recently. You should have received a text, email or at least a notice on your bill that this increase was happening. Carefully check back and see if you can find any notice of this.

View original

38 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

There were a bunch of older plans saw price increases recently. You should have received a text, email or at least a notice on your bill that this increase was happening. Carefully check back and see if you can find any notice of this.

Userlevel 2

So I searched everywhere in my email and texts and on the bill but there's nothing. It just goes from Jan's bill being 20 plus tax to the Feb bill being 25 plus tax with no explanation at all. 

It sucks that they are increasing the rate since I already don't get good value out of my plan, but to have not even told me is pretty bad. (My one thought is perhaps an email got lost in spam, but my spam has been deleted already so I can't check.) 

It's looking pretty tempting to move to Freedom mobile now since their lowest plan is 15$!

Anyways thanks for the info 👍

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@SarahAJ It doesn’t appear you are using the phone much for calling. An option to consider is to switch to one of our promotional prepaid plans:

https://www.koodomobile.com/prepaid-plans?INTCMP=KMNew_NavMenu_Shop_PrepaidPlans

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Then you should check Koodo's prepaid or public mobile too.

https://www.koodomobile.com/prepaid-plans?INTCMP=KMNew_NavMenu_Shop_PrepaidPlans

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Another vote for Public Mobile... You get more than you have currently with your plan and in 5 years that will only cost you $8/month! (With auto pay)

Having the same issue, how does this not violate my contract?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You don’t have a contract - you are free to cancel your line at any time and sadly, Koodo is free to increase the price. All they need to do is give notice beforehand, which they did.

It is a contract, a contract is an agreement between two entities. We agreed on a certain price for a certain SLA

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Well, don't spend money on lawyers because you'll lose for sure. Koodo offers service per month so it's like rent, they can increase it any time they want unless you have written proof that your price stays the same to all eternity.

See above for suggestions to get a better plan for less money....

This is what I’m saying, the contract is written proof that the price stays the same and will not go up. You’re not being very helpful here.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

We disagree on that :) I was being helpful in telling you that sadly, you have no leg to stand on (though I wish it were otherwise!) and also that there are actually better plans available with for example Public Mobile.

It does not seem like you are a subject matter expert on this. Public is also owned by Telus, so not really ‘sticking it to them’ are we? I assure you their reputation for transparency was worth much more $5 , regardless of your personal believes of my legs or where they stand.

Userlevel 6

This is what I’m saying, the contract is written proof that the price stays the same and will not go up. You’re not being very helpful here.

So you have a contract that says the price will not go up?

This is no different than rate increases with your cable, gas, electricity, homes phone, internet etc. None of us like it, but I am pretty sure none of these companies would ever put in writing that prices will not increase.

So you have a contract that says the price will not go up?

This is no different than rate increases with your cable, gas, electricity, homes phone, internet etc. None of us like it, but I am pretty sure none of these companies would ever put in writing that prices will not increase.

Koodo did, this is why I’m not the only one talking about this.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Public is also owned by Telus, so not really ‘sticking it to them’ are we?

This is my last reply to you, but I never mentioned sticking it to them. I just think it’s the best plan available to users who need very little data and minutes.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

It is a contract, a contract is an agreement between two entities. We agreed on a certain price for a certain SLA

This link from CCTS might help you to answer the question https://www.ccts-cprst.ca/news/can-phone-internet-tv-service-providers-increase-prices/

Make sure if the term of the contract is 2 year or monthly. If it was signed as monthly (or your 2 year term expired), they only need 30 days to announce a price increase.

Userlevel 2

@SarahAJ It doesn’t appear you are using the phone much for calling. An option to consider is to switch to one of our promotional prepaid plans:

@Bernard Koodo Thanks for this info! I hadn't considered prepaid, it totally slipped my mind. You're right in that I don't need the minutes so this could be a great option for me.

I see it says I need a new SIM, a Koodo Prepaid one specifically. I'm assuming I can keep my same phone number when I switch? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

This link from CCTS might help you to answer the question https://www.ccts-cprst.ca/news/can-phone-internet-tv-service-providers-increase-prices/

Make sure if the term of the contract is 2 year or monthly. If it was signed as monthly (or your 2 year term expired), they only need 30 days to announce a price increase.

All of Koodo's contracts are 'non-fixed-term'. They're all month to month.

Userlevel 2

Then you should check Koodo's prepaid or public mobile too.

@Mayumi thanks for the info! I'll have to look and see if Public Mobile is available in my area, I've never heard of it before. Always good to have more options for cell service. 👍

Userlevel 2

Another vote for Public Mobile... You get more than you have currently with your plan and in 5 years that will only cost you $8/month! (With auto pay)

@Sophia thanks for the info! What do you mean by "in 5 years"? Do you have to sign up for a certain length of time, like a contract?

I don't know anything about Public Mobile, I'm off to do some Googling about it now. I'm loving the sound of 8$/month though, wow! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

To answer some of your questions: Public Mobile works in the exact same areas as Telus and Koodo (in fact both belong to Telus).

You are not tied to any contract, it's just that each year that you stay with them, they take one dollar off the monthly payments with a maximum of $5.

My husband is in his second year, so we're down to $12 already. Let me know if you need a referral code and I'll be happy to post one for you, if someone else doesn't beat me to it 😊

Userlevel 2

@Sophia Yeah in the meantime since I posted my comment I actually went and did some research so I found more about Public (they've got coverage in my area yay!) and I saw the loyalty program. 😍 

I love that idea since I find it's usually new customers who get the best deals with cell companies, and as a loyal customer for years you aren't usually rewarded which sucks! In fact it's the opposite here with Koodo raising my rate randomly! 😤

So I'm really keen on Public Mobile for that, plus how affordable it is for their lowest plan! Awesome, thanks a bunch for letting me know about it 😁

And YES PLEASE! I would love a referral code and that way I can help you out too when I sign up 👍

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Well Mayumi mentioned it first, I think we're both pretty fond of Public Mobile 😄

Here's my referral code but feel free to use a friend's if you want! Use this link to get $10 off: https://activate.publicmobile.ca/?raf=W0Q399

Oh to answer one other question: of course you can keep your number! I would suggest you sign up first and then when everything works, port in your number.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Yes, I set up an account for my mother in law. She  only use minimal. In her case, she need some minutes. 
Im pretty happy with Public plan😃

Userlevel 2

@Sophia thanks for the referral code :) I've just bought a Public mobile sim card from Amazon (it was only 5$!) so when that arrives I can get set up 👍

I find it pretty hilarious that it's via the Koodo message boards that I found out about a better deal with a different cell company, I was not expecting that at all 😂

thanks to everyone who contributed info and answered my questions, I'm glad I posted on here instead of waiting on hold with customer service. 

It's kinda cool that a good thing came out of the frustration of having my plan rate randomly increased, now I'll be paying even less every month going forward, really looking happy about that! :D