Koodo Community

Community

PSA: 10GB plan still available but...

This is partially a PSA and partially a complaint/question about Koodo’s customer service... I have been with Koodo since 2012 and my plan before today was 3 GB/$65 so obviously I was frustrated when I heard that initially the new 10 GB plan was for new customers only. Today I found out (after finally getting through to 611) that they’re still offering the plan to loyal customers BUT you only get the full 10 GB if you called just once during the promo period to inquire about it. This logic makes no sense to me though, I didn’t call during the promo period because they said it wasn’t for existing customers but now they’re rewarding the people who did? It just seems like a poorly rationalized excuse to limit the offer as much as possible for existing customers. The rep offered me 5 GB + 2 extra GB for 2 years for $60. 7 GB is more than enough for my needs but it’s just the principle of it all that’s really upsetting to me as I work in the customer service industry as well and would never handle loyal customers in such a manner. Also I originally had called on Thursday to inquire and was told that someone would call me Friday morning, then no one called and I spent about 3 hours total between Friday and Saturday on hold with no apology or explanation given. I know many people waited longer than me but I’ve been working 12 hour shifts so my free time is basically non-existent and I was really counting on that phone call. So now I’m wondering, did anyone out there manage to get the 10GB without calling during the promo period or did they get more or less than 7GB offered? I’m curious to see how uniform they’ve been with implementing their offer extension.

16 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
No. Nobody is getting the promo if they called in after it was over. The only ones still getting it are the ones who waited on hold for stupid amounts of time to reach a customer service rep and were promised a call back once that customer service rep was finally able to reach the retentions department after an even more stupid amount of time.
No, they shouldn't have started giving the plan to people who aren't eligible, but in all honesty, sticking to their guns would not have stopped people from calling in and arguing with them to try and get the plan. As a customer service rep, I'm sure you can understand that at a certain point it becomes all about whatever will clear the queue.
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

No. Nobody is getting the promo if they called in after it was over. The only ones still getting ...

You can’t expect us to believe that Koodo didn’t fully anticipate the volume of inquiries from existing customers to get this unprecedented plan. We don’t owe Koodo any loyalty and could easily switch providers and yet you make it sound like Koodo was wrong for trying to retain us. You think we should’ve just been content with greatly inferior plans like my old $65/3GB or switched providers? That’s just awful customer service logic either way.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

No. Nobody is getting the promo if they called in after it was over. The only ones still getting ...

I agree 100% Crys.
Unfortunately this is the line that Koodo gives us.  
Your best bet was to switch providers during the promo.  No arguing, no calling.  A much simpler process
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

In your initial post you said: "This logic makes no sense to me though, I didn’t call during the promo period because they said it wasn’t for existing customers but now they’re rewarding the people who did?" Then when I agreed with you, you said: "you make it sound like Koodo was wrong for trying to retain us." So which is it? You cannot argue that koodo should have both offered the plan and not offered the plan at the same time.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

Even if Koodo did anticipate that this plan would generate massive call volume, this promo was a direct reaction to promotional plans offered by other companies, first by Freedom, quickly followed by Rogers, followed by Koodo/Telus and Bell. Hiring and training new customer service agents takes a full 4 weeks before they're ready to take a single call. This plan went up maybe 2-3 days after Freedom posted their offer.
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

This plan went up maybe 2-3 days after Freedom posted their offer.

Change that to 2-3 weeks and you will be closer but still wrong.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

Ignoring my point that even if they started training a thousand new agents within minutes of Freedom's offer, they still would not have been ready to take calls when the offer was posted.
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

If you really want me to prove you wrong, cool. Here you go.

https://mobilesyrup.com/2017/10/17/freedom-mobile-completely-overhaul-rate-plans-october-19th-2017/
OCT 17, 2017
Freedom Mobile has overhauled its rate plans
as of October 19th, 2017
Everywhere Canada 60 ($60 per month)
6GB of home data, plus an additional 4GB over a 25 month period.
Canada-wide and U.S. calling on the home network

https://mobilesyrup.com/2017/12/15/koodo-offers-6010gb-promo-deal-ontario-alberta-british-columbia/
DEC 15, 2017
Koodo offers $60/10GB promo deal

https://www.timeanddate.com/date/durationresult.html?m1=10&d1=19&y1=2017&m2=12&d2=15...
8 weeks and 1 day

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

Koodo has been busier than normal since Black Friday from 2 years ago.  They have no intention to add more call center staff even if they had 6 months notice.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

Wait times have been around 15-20 minutes or less for MOST of the past two years, outside of major promotions. For some strange reason though, nobody goes online to shout about how they got through really quickly.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

As a customer, if I had to wait 2 hours on hold and then get cut off, I wouldnt care that wait times have been around 15-20mins for most of the year.

Promos and marketing should be planned and ramped up in line with staffing.  It is not a surprise when Black Friday and Boxing Day Promo's are going to occur.

It is not a surprise anymore that Koodo will match any promo that Fido/Virgin offers.  Even though Self Serve is not that flexible, a "pre-made" (details to be adjusted to match) plan that customers can change to on self serve should be always ready to go with a flip of the switch.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

Short wait times for most of the year are rather meaningless when we can do most things ourselves with Self Serve. I'd rather never have to call in. We just need to be able to do more through Self Serve.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

Like unlocking your phone, swapping sims, changing to a promo/Seasonal hold plan, etc
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

In no way did I say that Koodo shouldn’t have offered the plan to existing customers. I was saying that it wasn’t fair to give the full plan to people who just happened to call in earlier. I’m sure manyyyy people with a significantly less tenure with Koodo than me got 10 GB, that’s what I was saying seemed unfair by customer service standards. Client tenure is generally valued by service industries. I get that there are always promos for attracting new customers exclusively but I also disagree with them when they put existing customers at a significant disadvantage (e.g. newbies getting 10 GB for less than my 3 GB plan). Hopefully we can get unlimited data in the future, I think we can all agree that Canada’s lack of competition puts everyone at a disadvantage. Meanwhile in the states every major provider has affordable unlimited data plans...
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

If you went into a store January 2nd and said: "I came in on Boxing Day but left because the line was too long. I want the deal you were offering then", do you think they would give it to you? Is the same thing here. People who waited on the line got the deal. People who gave up or didn't call in in the first place didn't.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

The lack of consistency is what gets to me.  In the past, the plan, was the plan, was the plan.  Now, Koodo has moved to a Rogers type style where the squeaky wheel gets the grease.  Call in to complain and you get rewarded.

I thought Koodo wanted to lower the number of calls into their call center?  This new way of business might be counterproductive.

The US plans are actually looking better these days.  But with net neutrality gone, watch for plans to be throttled for certain services