Koodo Community
Question

Porting out primary number

I currently have an account with Koodo with 4 lines on it. I'm thinking moving to another provider, and I'm wondering what would happen if I port out my number (the primary line) first? Will one of the other number simply take over that spot? Or should I port out the primary number last? .... or is there even such a thing as a primary number on an account? My bill doesn't seem to show anything like that.

Thanks

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I don't think it has any importance so you go ahead and do your thing. Btw, why are you switching?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I'm not aware of a "primary" number for an account. So long as there's an active line the account will still be there's.
....why are you switching?

I can get the same thing from Public Mobile, on the same infrastructure + 1GB of data for $25/month instead of $40 here. Basically it comes down to dollars. Saving $15/month X 4 lines = $720 over a year. 🙂
Userlevel 4
You think it's the same, but no. Way more bugs. According to some people, they even keep dropping calls. The most basic functionality they're expected to provide. Truly the last tier.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Why don't you open one account at public to see how good or bad with them. Then, if you like it, you can port your Koodo number over to them.
Userlevel 3
I have more than one Koodo number on my account as well and am thinking of switching my main number to Public Mobile too. @triggered123 what have been the issues and bugs with Public Mobile that you’ve dealt with?
Userlevel 3
Hi Adam, Even if you're the account owner you can port out. You will still be responsible for the other numbers on your Koodo account and they'll function as usual. From what I've read on the Public mobile forums it's a good idea to open a PM account with a new number and port your Koodo number over afterwards.
Userlevel 4
It takes years to accomplish anything on their buggy website since the pages either give errors or take too long to load or both. Considering they don't have any other way to manage your account, that's not acceptable. Because of their buggy website, your activation might fail after they take the money from your credit card. Other people complain about dropped calls. It seems Public Mobile users get the worst priority on the network. I could complain more but it's a waste of time to even talk about Public Mobile.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
It takes years to accomplish anything on their buggy website since the pages either give errors or take too long to load or both. Considering they don't have any other way to manage your account, that's not acceptable. Because of their buggy website, your activation might fail after they take the money from your credit card. Other people complain about dropped calls. It seems Public Mobile users get the worst priority on the network. I could complain more but it's a waste of time to even talk about Public Mobile.
Just to be clear. They get acess to the same network and I don't think there's such thing as priority.
Userlevel 4

It takes years to accomplish anything on their buggy website since the pages either give errors or take too long to load or both. Considering they don't have any other way to manage your account, that's not acceptable. Because of their buggy website, your activation might fail after they take the money from your credit card. Other people complain about dropped calls. It seems Public Mobile users get the worst priority on the network. I could complain more but it's a waste of time to even talk about Public Mobile.Just to be clear. They get acess to the same network and I don't think there's such thing as priority.

Then explain why Public Mobile users keep complaining about dropped calls.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

It takes years to accomplish anything on their buggy website since the pages either give errors or take too long to load or both. Considering they don't have any other way to manage your account, that's not acceptable. Because of their buggy website, your activation might fail after they take the money from your credit card. Other people complain about dropped calls. It seems Public Mobile users get the worst priority on the network. I could complain more but it's a waste of time to even talk about Public Mobile.Just to be clear. They get acess to the same network and I don't think there's such thing as priority.
Then explain why Public Mobile users keep complaining about dropped calls.

Because they're cheap and they think they have worse connection then everyone else. Therefore they're whining babies? 😂 Just kidding here, but for real. How would technically explain that discrimination?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Robert does have a point... usually the cheaper a product, the more complaints it gets. I personally think it's a psychological thing, where the more you pay for a product, the more you feel obliged to be happy with your purchase (because who wants to feel ripped off? no one).

However if you don't pay much, you take the actual value of the product, hence whatever goes wrong, you don't feel any inhibition to complain about it.

There have been several tests where people use the same product, one has the name "Expensive Well Known Name" embossed in gold letters, the other just a sticker with "Cheap Brand". Guess what? The cheap brand got numerous more complaints than the expensive one, even though people paid ten times less for the same item!

Then again, I could be completely wrong and perhaps Public Mobile IS severely crippled compared to Koodo 😃 (though really, I don't think it is. because I couldn't think of a single reason why that would even make sense)
Userlevel 3
I think people know if they’re dropping calls or not.
Userlevel 4
Then again, I could be completely wrong and perhaps Public Mobile IS severely crippled compared to Koodo 😃 (though really, I don't think it is. because I couldn't think of a single reason why that would even make sense)
I have a few Public Mobile accounts to take advantage of some loopholes. Their website is an abomination. Errors, fake errors, excessive load times, and more. I don't even use the actual service. I don't know how people can use that thing as their main cellphone service. And some people recommend it to other unsuspecting victims just so they can save $1 a month.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ah, I agree as to the website. The prepaid self service is just as bad (they use the same software). .

But I never experience dropped calls... So I'm thinking it's more that the ones who do experience those, probably live in an area where Telus/Koodo would be just as flakey. Again, just a theory... No proof 🙂
Userlevel 4
I used to do things with Koodo Prepaid too. I know they look like copies of each other, but Public Mobile is on a league of its own. The website is probably running on someone's old computer that they were going to throw out.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Speaking of which. If you do move your lines over, dont forget to refer yourself. That $1/month off your bill in perpetuity does add up.