Koodo Community

Community

Solved

porting from Telus to Kodoo without getting dinged 100 bucks termination fee - how to?


If I move my phone number from Telus on the final day of my soon to expire three year contract Telus says they will bill me the 100.00 termination fee so I should not move my phone number until the day after. However, then my number will be inactive. What the heck?

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
just because your contract is up doesn't mean your account is going to magically close, it just means your not tied to that company anymore. so wait till a couple day AFTER your contract is up & just don't sign another contract by getting a new phone. then port your number over after the contract is up.
In terms of closing, I have already notified Telus (more than a month in advance) that I want to terminate my account as soon as my 3yr contract has ended. You mean that even though it terminates it's not magically closed? Regardless, in terms of your advice that means I am phone-less for a day or two...yes?...no? /thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Owen wrote:

In terms of closing, I have already notified Telus (more than a month in advance) that I want to...

Since you called and told them to cancel the account the day your contract was up you screwed yourself into having to pay that $100 by ending the contract early. You should have just let the contract run out and a couple days after went to koodo and told them you wanted to port your # over. This would have closed your account with Telus automatically & you just would of had to pay your final bill from Telus. You wouldn't be phoneless because your contract just means that you can't leave without penalty. When your contract ends your service doesn't end You just keep going like you were but you can leave anytime without penalty.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Owen wrote:

In terms of closing, I have already notified Telus (more than a month in advance) that I want to...

You should try to call Telus and say you don't want the account to be terminated when your contract ends. Then after the date your contract is up just go to Koodo and tell them you want to port your # over.
Owen wrote:

In terms of closing, I have already notified Telus (more than a month in advance) that I want to...

No, I haven't ended the contract *early.* I fully intend to stay with Telus until the official end-date of my contract thus fulfilling that contract. However, after that date I do not wish to remain with Telus and wanted the account closed. If I do as you say and keep my account open with Telus after my contract has ended I must still give them a month's notice and be billed for that even though during that period I would be porting my number to Koodo. I would end up paying two bills, would I not?
Userlevel 7
Owen wrote:

In terms of closing, I have already notified Telus (more than a month in advance) that I want to...

Check my reply below. Answers your questions.
Owen wrote:

In terms of closing, I have already notified Telus (more than a month in advance) that I want to...

"Since you called and told them to cancel the account the day your contract was up" No, I am having the account cancelled the day after. So, I will have Telus service up to and including the final day of the contract but not the day after the end of the contract.
Userlevel 7
Owen wrote:

In terms of closing, I have already notified Telus (more than a month in advance) that I want to...

It doesn't matter what notice you gave them. Porting your number actually RESETS your cancellation request so you will still be charged another 30 days from the day after your contract or from the day you port your number. Please see my post below
Userlevel 7
The first thing you need to do if you want to keep your number is call Telus and tell them you want to cancel your cancellation request (which they can do). Second, you should port your number the day after your contract expires. Telus, among other carriers require a 30 days notice. When you port your number, your Telus account becomes basically useless for the next month but you're still going to be charged for the 30 days. What I recommend you do is, the day you port your number, call Telus FIRST and tell them to change your plan to the $25 voice plan. This will minimize any charges you may have to pay due to the 30 days notice. By porting your number, it also automatically cancels your Telus line for you so you don't have to call Telus.
Ahmad wrote:

The first thing you need to do if you want to keep your number is call Telus and tell them you wa...

Right. As I thought, if I continue Telus service after the end of my contract I do have to pay Telus for an additional 30 days that I will not be using. Your suggestion to mitigate costs by going to the $25 voice plan makes sense. In the end, I think I may just live with a new number. We have more than one phone to port at the same time and I do not want to pay Telus one discontinued Canadian penny more.
Userlevel 1
Ahmad wrote:

The first thing you need to do if you want to keep your number is call Telus and tell them you wa...

It depends in which province you live in. Quebec and BC have stricter laws when it comes to telecoms. I would check with the Consumers Protection of your province to see what are the laws towards that. So like Ahmad said, if you are in a province where they can charge you 30 days for cancelling your account then I would wait till day 29 of your billing period then port your number. Good luck.
Ahmad wrote:

The first thing you need to do if you want to keep your number is call Telus and tell them you wa...

Thanks, Don. Yes, Ahmad's advice is correct. I've now triple checked with Telus. Looks like I will be getting a new number with my new Kodoo because I will not being paying Telus one more month of fees even at the cost mitigating 25.00 voice only. As a result of this move, Telus is about to loose all five members of mobile phone users in our family as we spool out at the end of our contracts. Too bad too because I have been with Telus for 9 years and overall they have been a good company.
Userlevel 7
Ahmad wrote:

The first thing you need to do if you want to keep your number is call Telus and tell them you wa...

koodo Is owned by telus so technically they still have you. #insert maniacal laughter#
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ahmad wrote:

The first thing you need to do if you want to keep your number is call Telus and tell them you wa...

Muahahahaha
Ahmad wrote:

The first thing you need to do if you want to keep your number is call Telus and tell them you wa...

Yes, I'm aware of that factoid, Chad Burr, but Koodo has the best options for me/us compared to their parent company and anyone else for that matter; good for them, better for me. Kid Andriod, thanks for the laugh and the koodo kinship (I, erm, think)

Reply