Koodo Community
Solved

phone line confusion

• 5 January 2021
  • 9 replies

Hello! I am a monthly koodo customer, I pay for my phone monthly (tab mid), and also pay for my phone plan monthly. I want to get the same for my sister, who currently does not own a phone, and was wondering what the best way to do this was.

Do I make her a new koodo account, and then buy the same phone and plan? Or do I “add a line”? I am not sure if adding a line will allow her to have her own phone number and data. 

I will be paying her phone bill anyways, but I would prefer if someday the account responsibility could be transfered to her after a few months so she can pay it herself.

Thank you for any advice you can give me!

icon

Best answer by MilkyWay 5 January 2021, 16:35

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If you intend to have her pay and be responsible for it in the near term, it's better to create a new and separate account. You can still do the payments and whatnot. If possible it should be opened in her name. Practically you can make her an account manager and change payment type to her own while it's under your name but technically it would still be your account if you do open it in your name.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hello! I am a monthly koodo customer, I pay for my phone monthly (tab mid), and also pay for my phone plan monthly. I want to get the same for my sister, who currently does not own a phone, and was wondering what the best way to do this was.

Do I make her a new koodo account, and then buy the same phone and plan? Or do I “add a line”? I am not sure if adding a line will allow her to have her own phone number and data. 

I will be paying her phone bill anyways, but I would prefer if someday the account responsibility could be transfered to her after a few months so she can pay it herself.

Thank you for any advice you can give me!

It’s better to have your sister open her own account if there is a possibility of having it transferred to her in the future. You should note that it does cost $40 to do a transfer of ownership, which could be avoided if she has her own account in the first place.

If you choose to add a line, you can do that through your Self Serve account. Koodo will issue her with a new phone number once you receive the confirmation email for the order.

If she wants to open her own account, all she needs to do is to choose a bring your own device plan on Koodo and fill in the information. They will require a credit check for verification purposes, so she will need her driver’s licence or SIN number to open the account. In the event she decides to get a new phone, she can choose a plan with a Tab instead.

Thank you both for the advice! I think I will make her her own separate account and use my card for it. Now, do I register for an account before or after I buy the phone and plan. I have to do it all online to have it shipped to her.

If you intend to have her pay and be responsible for it in the near term, it's better to create a new and separate account. You can still do the payments and whatnot. If possible it should be opened in her name. Practically you can make her an account manager and change payment type to her own while it's under your name but technically it would still be your account if you do open it in your name.

Thank you both for the advice! I think I will make her her own separate account and use my card for it. Now, do I register for an account before or after I buy the phone and plan. I have to do it all online to have it shipped to her.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Well the account is part of getting a line. If you mean register to access self-serve for the account then yes you wait for your sister to receive it, and get the activation email and the phone working first.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

She can create an account after purchasing the phone and plan. A confirmation email will be sent once the order has gone through. She will receive her Koodo phone number. From there onwards, she can register for her Self Serve account. https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/registering-self-serve

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Um… if you make an account under your sister’s name, you can  not use your credit card to open the account.  Koodo‘s systems will stop it as it is suspicious since the names do not match and decline the application or force you to go in store to get a line.  This is because Koodo uses your credit card to do a credit check

Um… if you make an account under your sister’s name, you can  not use your credit card to open the account.  Koodo‘s systems will stop it as it is suspicious since the names do not match and decline the application or force you to go in store to get a line.  This is because Koodo uses your credit card to do a credit check

what do you suggest I do then? Add a line to my own account?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

what do you suggest I do then? Add a line to my own account?

Yes it would be best if you add a line to your own account.