Koodo Community

"other" charges for ALERTS while in USA

• 6 March 2019
  • 7 replies

Do not use my phone while in US but get charged $8 per day when US government issues ALERTS re weather, or dangerous situations. I should not be charged.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Do you have data roaming disabled?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Do not use my phone while in US but get charged $8 per day when US government issues ALERTS re weather, or dangerous situations. I should not be charged.
I agree that this situation is indeed, unfair!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I thought Data needs to be enabled for these alert to work
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
No data required. I have received local amber alerts while roaming in the US (voice and text only) on my Canadian Koodo phone that is not emergency alert capable in Canada. As a prepaid customer, it only costs one US text. On post-paid, an alternative would be to cancel easy roam and pay the piece rate, which would be $5 for the first one, then the next 99 free till your next billing cycle.

Koodo should revisit the policy of dinging you for a full day's roaming for unsolicited public service announcements. We already pony up for 911 service.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Are these alerts coming through text? Incoming texts should be free
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
From the Koodo Alert Ready page:

Are the emergency alerts sent as a text message?

No. While the emergency alert may look like a text, it is not a text message. Emergency alerts are sent by Cell Broadcast distribution. This is a mobile technology that allows messages to be broadcast to all compatible wireless devices within a specified area. Call Broadcast is a similar to radio broadcast. Radio towers broadcast music to people in defined geographic areas providing the individuals can pick up the broadcast signal and have their radios turned on. Similarly, Cell broadcast messages are delivered simultaneously to those compatible wireless devices that are in range of cell towers and antenna in the designated area.

As such, there should be no charges assessed for receiving these messages, even in in the USA.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Then maybe something else is triggering the easy roam