Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Not a happy camper!

Why is it I am charged for data usage while sleeping or driving (long trip on hwy) when my data is turned off? I changed my plans because all of a sudden my bills were doubled and tripled lately. I always have my data turned off unless I check my email/facebook when not at home. I have looked into my data usage and it doesn't add up but every 3rd Saturday of the month a $5 charge goes on my account for data????

27 replies

Userlevel 7
Well the $5 charge is for additional data for example you get 50mb of data on the $29 plan for an extra $5 so even those short checks on facebook could get you a 50mb bucket of data for $5 (if you're on the $29 plan). If you are a very minimal data user, you could consider going on prepaid. (which is awesome)
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
When you look at self serve, how much data is it saying you are using? Are you sure the $5 charge on your ebill (downloaded from Self Serve on your computer) is for data overages? Maybe it's another charge like the Tab charge? Do you have a Tab M? If so there is a $5 tab charge http://koodomobile.com/samplebill.pdf
I have 400mb with my plan. double of what I used to have. I don't use my data any more than I did before when all of a sudden my data usage was going over (??) Now with my new increased plan - somehow I am going over again?? I went into a store and they couldn't figure out what was happening either and recommended I contact customer service - which costs me even more i
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
DeanaCallaghan wrote:

I have 400mb with my plan. double of what I used to have. I don't use my data any more than I ...

What do you mean, "which costs me even more"? Calling CS is free and solving your problem is free too, so not sure what you think they'll be charging you?
Userlevel 7
DeanaCallaghan wrote:

I have 400mb with my plan. double of what I used to have. I don't use my data any more than I ...

The only time CS charges you is when you get them to do something on selfserve that you could do on your own so in this case it's free to call CS as Sophia stated. As for data, it could maybe be background apps updating? If you have an android phone you could set it up to update apps on wifi only.
DeanaCallaghan wrote:

forgive me, I was told that any contact to customer service unless done at the store level would be a charge to my account. I will be contacting CS.
Userlevel 7
DeanaCallaghan wrote:

Good Luck Deana
Let us know what happens.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
DeanaCallaghan wrote:

Nah 🙂 Koodo is very lenient in what they charge, I have even called them to change something that I SHOULD have done in self service, but the system had a hiccup at the time. I've never been charged. Hope you get your problem sorted!
Userlevel 7
DeanaCallaghan wrote:

I agree that koodo is very forgiving 🙂 Good luck from me as well Deana 🙂
thanks for the input. As I said the store checked my phone and couldn't figure out where the data is being used. But then they also told me the radio uses data....I have only yesterday listened to the radio - without data on.....
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
DeanaCallaghan wrote:

thanks for the input. As I said the store checked my phone and couldn't figure out where the dat...

You can see what services use data, Deana. What phone do you have? On mine for example I can go to Data Usage, select a time period and then it tells me exactly what service used how much data. For example today I used AccuWeather (2kb) Google Service (2kb) Chrome (1kb) etc... and I could check other time periods as well. I'm sure your phone may have a similar feature...
DeanaCallaghan wrote:

thanks for the input. As I said the store checked my phone and couldn't figure out where the dat...

I have the Samsung galaxy ace II. I only ever go into outlook and facebook for the most part. I don't download anything unless I am in wifi area. My data is always off unless I need to check my emails or facebook. If I add up the usage time shown on my account it does not go near what they say I use.
Userlevel 3
DeanaCallaghan wrote:

Do you download big attachments with your e-mail or send?for Facebook are you playing any games that require flash?APPS on facebook can use a lot of data. I'd suggest checking your self serve more proactively
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
DeanaCallaghan wrote:

Are you sure an app is not running/updating in the background during certain times? 400MB is a good size data plan. It would mean something is when when you think it is off, or you are downloading/uploading a lot of data during your email/facebooking
DeanaCallaghan wrote:

no attachments and no games via facebook. I am an older person and only do basics with my phone- I'm not very tech savvy. I drive for a living so I don't use my phone much at all. Can an app run while my data is off? Would they not show on my phone for being used? When update show on my phone I always cancel them so I don't use data. ??
Userlevel 3
DeanaCallaghan wrote:

You mention you drive for living by any chance are you using GPS?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
DeanaCallaghan wrote:

Also, you mentioned listening to the radio... do you mean Internet radio? That uses data too....
DeanaCallaghan wrote:

no gps I have one in my truck. not internet radio - just the FM radio that's on my phone - which I hadn't used in months.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
DeanaCallaghan wrote:

Have you tried setting data limits? https://mobility.telus.com/en/AB/Samsung-Galaxy-Ace-II-X/how-to-004204.shtml
DeanaCallaghan wrote:

I have just clicked on set data limit also clicked on restrict background internet data usage? 99% of my usage is shown via internet. I am not tech savvy!!! lol.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
DeanaCallaghan wrote:

When you have the limit set it should prevent you from going over. It should also have a list of apps and their accompanying usage as per what Sophia said in the above comment. Does this list any particular app wit high usage? Which app listed has the highest amount of usage and how much data was used?
DeanaCallaghan wrote:

doesn't give me a list of apps. where would I find that? I've tried looking into my settings
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
DeanaCallaghan wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xk-BDsG0wtM
DeanaCallaghan wrote:

k- I watched it. showed it was android OS running mostly ?? and google services. I clicked on to restrict them from using my data but to run when in wifi area. ?? should that work?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
DeanaCallaghan wrote:

How much data was being used by those apps? And for what period of time? If it is saying 200MB then yea restrict those. But if they are saying only 5 MB then it may be something else