Koodo Community
Question

no warning?

Userlevel 1

My wife went way over her phone minutes - she was working from home for a long term care facility and did not get a warning she was close to her minutes.  Then as she continued to make calls not knowing she was over, still no warning.  Is there some way to remedy this?

thanks

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Mayumi is one of the kindest and most helpful people I know. She would never wish misfortune on anyone 😊

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

It doesn’t cost Koodo any more to provide those calling minutes than it costs them to provide them to people with unlimited plans. If they can provide an unlimited plan to someone for $45/month then they obviously don’t have to charge someone hundreds of dollars for a few hours of calling. Koodo is being reasonable about it and helping people with their charges. 

The reason for the expense is not work. It’s making a mistake and forgetting about your airtime usage during a crisis when you are trying to cope with a dozen other problems. Maybe a company would cover the $45/month for an unlimited talk plan but I doubt you would get a very good response if you went to your boss with a $500 bill in overage charges because you have an older cell phone plan. 

I honestly thought you were not realizing how your comments might be perceived but now you are literally saying that you hope Koodo doesn’t help people and you want people to have to unnecessarily pay high bills when they are already struggling.

Edit: Just realized the responder was not the original poster. So I’m hoping Mayumi is actually trying to be helpful and not wishing misfortune upon people.

No one here is trying to wish misfortune on anyone.

Every time it is suggested that the overage be expensed is because the poster mentioned that they used the phone for work.  The question is why does Koodo need to be the one responsible for the overages?  How much responsibility does the plan owner have?  It is their plan, shouldnt they know their plan?  A plan they use every month.  Since employers are telling employees to work from home, how much responsibility does the employer have to ensure their employees check their cellphone plans?

Koodo hasnt done anything wrong here.  They didnt change anything.  They didnt change the plan so that customers are caught unaware.  If anything it is the employers and employees who have changed what they are doing.

If anything Koodo created a $2 unlimited minutes add-on to address this issue.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Warning for going over your minutes has never been a thing as it was deemed unnecessary by the CRTC when instituting warnings for going over data.

Regarding your bill, I recommend sending Koodo a private message via facebook or twitter.  No promises how much help they can provide.  Usually thinks turn out better when you are polite and respectful.

In the mean time you can add unlimited minutes for $2/month to your phone line by Simply texting "MOREMIN" to 7780

Userlevel 6

I agree Sophia, Mayumi is always helpful and never condescending. I think that asking your employer to help with the bill is not out of line and they may just cover some of it for you, realizing that you corrected the problem. What this post and many many others show, is that people should check their plans as to the minutes in their plans.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Thank you Sophia and Fred❤️😊

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Also, she can bill it to her compony/ work if it was work related?

Mayumi I have noticed you reply this way to a lot of these questions. I don’t know where you work but many of us don’t work at companies where we can bill or expense things to the company. Many people are afraid of losing their jobs right now and are not in a position where they can just ask their boss to pay a huge phone bill because with all the chaos they forgot to upgrade their plan. I would suggest you recommend that people first politely contact Koodo for options and then maybe consider asking their company to reimburse them for it if that doesn’t work.

I thought it was a fair response.  If you are using the phone for work purposes, then work is the reason for that expensive, and it is the responsibility of the company to expense it.

I do not want Koodo to “cover” the charges.  This only puts more pressure on Koodo to increase pricing which impacts all of us.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Mayumi I have noticed you reply this way to a lot of these questions. I don’t know where you work but many of us don’t work at companies where we can bill or expense things to the company. Many people are afraid of losing their jobs right now and are not in a position where they can just ask their boss to pay a huge phone bill because with all the chaos they forgot to upgrade their plan. I would suggest you recommend that people first politely contact Koodo for options and then maybe consider asking their company to reimburse them for it if that doesn’t work.

Hi User944.

Yes, I replied this way in those questions that mentioned "work related". Because I believe any work expences should covered by company and its their responsibility to provide and support your employees. 

I understand that this pandemic period is not normal time. So, many companies might not be able to support all the expenses.  But I didn't mean to say to bill all your invoice amount to company. I meant that ask your company to cover the portion actually you used for work.

And I usually mentioned to contact Koodo to ask what they can do for you too.  People made mistake, misunderstaning their plan, wasn't aware how many minutes they have used and got charged for proration...etc.

I also suggest to add add-on or change their plan to unlimited minutes plan to prevent future charges too.  

Koodo is big company, they may be able to cover the all the overage changes for every customers. But I want to be fair to both side.   I reply and making suggestions based on what's fair for (I believe) both sides.

I never wish misfortune on anyone.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I thought it was a fair response.  If you are using the phone for work purposes, then work is the reason for that expensive, and it is the responsibility of the company to expense it.

I do not want Koodo to “cover” the charges.  This only puts more pressure on Koodo to increase pricing which impacts all of us.

It doesn’t cost Koodo any more to provide those calling minutes than it costs them to provide them to people with unlimited plans. If they can provide an unlimited plan to someone for $45/month then they obviously don’t have to charge someone hundreds of dollars for a few hours of calling. Koodo is being reasonable about it and helping people with their charges. 

The reason for the expense is not work. It’s making a mistake and forgetting about your airtime usage during a crisis when you are trying to cope with a dozen other problems. Maybe a company would cover the $45/month for an unlimited talk plan but I doubt you would get a very good response if you went to your boss with a $500 bill in overage charges because you have an older cell phone plan. 

I honestly thought you were not realizing how your comments might be perceived but now you are literally saying that you hope Koodo doesn’t help people and you want people to have to unnecessarily pay high bills when they are already struggling.

Edit: Just realized the responder was not the original poster. So I’m hoping Mayumi is actually trying to be helpful and not wishing misfortune upon people.